Pilot ejects from Tucano T1

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by TheBigUn, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently the RAF Tucano display pilot.

2. Its going to be an expensive year if that's a part of his display.

3. The RAF have a surplus of Tucanos,so pranging a few more shouldn't be much of a problem to them.

4. Shouldn't we be grateful that the fella managed to bang out successfully? He wasn't badly injured, no locals were suddenly struck by a "bolt from the blue" but one aircraft was wrecked.

Well done him indeed, I say, and I hope he recovers fully.

MsG

5. Take a look at the photo and then compare with the text, quote "out-of-control Tucano T1 trainer smashed into the ground inside the base perimeter".
    Spot deliberate error? a/c looks like it could be Cat 5 for spares if not actually repairable.

Glad the driver got out in one piece.

6. We are hence why we're taking the piss a little bit. That ok with you, treacle?

7. Bit of BDR and that'll polish right out...be alroit...seen worse......

8. Apparently he only got out just in time - by the time he had found a hospital and a primary school to narrowly avoid (having spent vital seconds wrestling with the controls) there was nothing on the clock but the makers' name; not to mention: burning glycol on the windshield and the acrid smell of cordite in his nostrils...

9. Good on him for banging out and a speedy recovery. I met him last summer on placement at Linton, really sound and grounded bloke, well done! Still, with the aircraft in that state after impact, a real man would have stayed in and landed it properly ;).

10. I don't think how it came to rest is indicative of whether it was under control or not. I think ejection is the only option if the aircraft is out of control or on fire and is not a decision taken lightly. Which is safer? A dead stick wheels up landing in a prop aircraft or a zero-zero ejection? Probably the latter. This aint the 1940s and wheels up landings after battling the hun are unneccessary today due to sophisticated ejection seats

Bird strike on approach? Thats caused a few low level ejections in the past and the aircraft could have just continued on its glide slope heading for the airfield, hence it came to ground in almost one piece?

Years ago, didnt a Harrier pilot eject and his crate kept going straight and level, and had to be shot down over the North Sea before it entered Foreign Airspace?

Code:
    The Brazilian-built Tucano T1
    It is Brazillian designed by Embraer, British built by Shorts of Belfast. (in fact, conceptually, its an American design, that traces its ancestry back to the WW2 P51 Mustang)

11. I think if he'd waited to do a 0/0 ejection, it may have been a bit late. :roll:

12. Well he is now anyway!

13. Yep, primary school grounds are right next to the airfield, and the base is within a small village. Thankfully all ok, and not more serious.

I do have some pictures though, which are now in the open public domain if anyone is interested?

14. Err, how exactly is the Tucano 'conceptually' an American design? :?