Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by VULCmAN009, May 19, 2009.

1. Yes- all of them

2. Yes- some noteworthy examples only

3. No- should be left to fade away

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.
    Just wondering if anyone shares my interest in exploring pillboxes and other anti-invasion defences in England, particularly in the Sussex area. I have also added a poll which would be great if you could participate in.
  2. There is from one of the Archeologist's from Time Team the old long haired silly hat wearing geek. Is heading up a society to protect and rebuild some of the defence networks. But I can't for the life if me remember the society name.

There was a great documentary about the Dads Army on either C4 or 5 that covered these defence networks and exercises that used the networks, earlier on this year
  3. I think the should all be put back into operational use (especially the gun emplacements) around the Dover and Folkestone areas - preferably with guns being ranged to drop in and around the Calais docks and chunnel region - if we can't control our borders we may as well 'assist' the French in enforcing their border controls, either way its win, in for us.
  4. There's a couple just outside Cardiff (Lavernock actually).
    Presumably in case the Germans tried going up the Bristol Channel.
    Used to love playing in them as a kid.
    Restore them all I say.
  5. Saw that. Great programme.

It's a shame that so many defences are being left to rot away/vandalised.
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Quite a long thread on bunkers and all things underground Here.
  7. Aren't they all listed in any event. Als the IWM funded at definitive study on the around 10 years ago IIRC.

Wait out!
  8. There was the "Defence Of Britain Project" which ended a few years ago, which I use for the foundation of my research, but it is by no means conclusive. I have come across several unrecorded sites. Another problem is that the recorded locations of most places are inaccurate. I have been making my own records over the last year or so, and would happily exchange my info/pics with others in the area.
  9. there's bloody loads of the buggers around Surrey Hills - not sure who would want or be able to warrant the fund to upkeep them?!
  10. There`s already a Pillbox Study Group in existence, might be worth contacting them. Here`s their website
  11. I think they should be preserved at least and noteworthy examples restored.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The majority of those ones have been ripped out unfortunately. Mainly due to H&S, but also to free up the farmland that it once was.
  13. Wash your mouth out! 8O

Phil Harding is a legend and can drink for England!
  14. There was also a gun fort at Lavernock that is now a campsite it's foundations are still there and so are the gun pits for the 6inch RML guns on Moncrieff disappearing carriages, there were others of this type on Flat Holm but the mounts have now been scrapped and are a great loss to military archeology, one of the gun barrels is still on the island and can be visited by boat most days from Cardiff