Pillboxes

Should British Anti-invasion Defences Be Protected/Restored Due To Their Historic Value?

• Yes- all of them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes- some noteworthy examples only

• No- should be left to fade away

• Total voters
Hi all.
Just wondering if anyone shares my interest in exploring pillboxes and other anti-invasion defences in England, particularly in the Sussex area. I have also added a poll which would be great if you could participate in.

There is from one of the Archeologist's from Time Team the old long haired silly hat wearing geek. Is heading up a society to protect and rebuild some of the defence networks. But I can't for the life if me remember the society name.

There was a great documentary about the Dads Army on either C4 or 5 that covered these defence networks and exercises that used the networks, earlier on this year

I think the should all be put back into operational use (especially the gun emplacements) around the Dover and Folkestone areas - preferably with guns being ranged to drop in and around the Calais docks and chunnel region - if we can't control our borders we may as well 'assist' the French in enforcing their border controls, either way its win, in for us.

There's a couple just outside Cardiff (Lavernock actually).
Presumably in case the Germans tried going up the Bristol Channel.
Used to love playing in them as a kid.
Restore them all I say.

easesprings said:
There was a great documentary about the Dads Army on either C4 or 5 that covered these defence networks and exercises that used the networks, earlier on this year
Saw that. Great programme.

It's a shame that so many defences are being left to rot away/vandalised.

Quite a long thread on bunkers and all things underground Here.

Aren't they all listed in any event. Als the IWM funded at definitive study on the around 10 years ago IIRC.

Wait out!

There was the "Defence Of Britain Project" which ended a few years ago, which I use for the foundation of my research, but it is by no means conclusive. I have come across several unrecorded sites. Another problem is that the recorded locations of most places are inaccurate. I have been making my own records over the last year or so, and would happily exchange my info/pics with others in the area.

Hoochie said:
I think the should all be put back into operational use (especially the gun emplacements) around the Dover and Folkstone areas
The majority of those ones have been ripped out unfortunately. Mainly due to H&S, but also to free up the farmland that it once was.

Miner said:
There's a couple just outside Cardiff (Lavernock actually).
Presumably in case the Germans tried going up the Bristol Channel.
Used to love playing in them as a kid.
Restore them all I say.
There was also a gun fort at Lavernock that is now a campsite it's foundations are still there and so are the gun pits for the 6inch RML guns on Moncrieff disappearing carriages, there were others of this type on Flat Holm but the mounts have now been scrapped and are a great loss to military archeology, one of the gun barrels is still on the island and can be visited by boat most days from Cardiff

Think '2Men in a Trench' Programme on C4 was excellent.

They did a whole programme on former RAF Hornchurch, they were finding Tet turrets, covered crawlways allsorts really.
I think Timeteam , also did something similar but can't remember where they were... ;-(

There are a couple of these either side of a railway bridge near were I live in Redcar and its seems they are actually listed buildings and yes... Phil Harding is a legend

Hi guys,

This is going to be a bit of self promotion as it is a mate of mine who runs this project:
http://www.shornclifferedoubt.com/
Check them out for restoration of sites. If only the MOD estates lot would be more flexible.

M Gold

Taffnp said:
I do believe that they are protected.

Can find a load on google earth.

Large one as you leave Bridgwater on the 372 for Weston Zoyland

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...6527,-2.990518&spn=0.000752,0.001687&t=h&z=19

Can see it on the left next to the bridge
A few are protected by English Heritage, etc, and some others are protected because they house endangered species such as bats, but most of the defences are free to be demolished/vandalised/left to fall down.

P.S. Looks like there is another one on the right side of the bridge too.