Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Gundulph, Oct 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, after seeing me read the likes of the entire Sharpe collection, Sniper One, The Day the Devils Dropped In, Dusty Warriors, Rules of Engagement, All Neccessary Measures, Winter Warriors, X D Operations, Waterloo the Definite Version and For Queen and Country over the past few years - I thought the missus was taking the urine when she bought me the 1000+ pages, book 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett, a book about ... wait for it..... CATHEDRAL BUILDING IN MEDIEVAL TIMES!!!!! 8O :x

After refusing to even look at the thing for 2 weeks in defiance, I finally picked it up, read the first few pages and was "hooked"!!! has anyone read this book and if so, any thoughts on it here?!

Hard to believe there are 'other' right rivetting reads out there other than the usual warry ones! 8O

2. I've read it - its the dogs bollocks! I couldn't put it down

3. My copy, which is the 2nd one I have owned, is nearly worn out as I have read and reread it.

Might have to read it again soon :)

4. Same here... and found the sequel to it on Amazon and have now ordered that! it's called "World Without End" amazed myself but like you, couldn't put it down once started, William Hamleigh reminded me of Black Adder!!! an all round barsteward pillaging, plundering and raping everything and anything... 8)

5. I found it at the bottom of the "donated books box" on a telic tour, obviously not eye catching enough for squaddie reading, I gave it a go and couldn't put it down. Might get the Mrs to get me the sequel for christmas.

6. Read this book 15 years ago, twice.

An epic novel.

I was surprised at how engrossing this novel was considering a lot of content is based around cathedral building. Following the highs and lows of two opposing families through two generations during an era of major civil unrest.

A sequel was released on 04 Oct 07 called "World without End" based around Kingsbridge from 1327 onwards and following several family generations.

I have downloaded the E Book onto my PDA and will be starting to read this very shortly after perhaps reading Pillars of the Earth for a third time.

Highly recommended reading.

7. If you are into medieval-cathedral-building epics, I would suggest 'Sarum' by Edward Rutherford. Very engrossing!

8. True, Sarum was the first historical novel I read, and it was fascinating.

9. This is my absolute favorite novel of all time. I was ecstatic when the sequel came out...I haven't yet shelled out for the hardback, but I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out longer.

And you're right, it doesn't describe well at all: "It's an amazing, fascinating, epic novel about cathedral building -- hey, where are you going?" :D

If anyone viewing this thread hasn't read it, just trust me on this one. And I'll give Sarum a go in the meantime.

10. It's a good historical novel; absorbing plot, interesting characters and villains who are utterly nasty and believable. I found the description of the building of the cathedral fascinating and the portrayal of medieval life stunning in its detail. Loads of violence and skulduggery to keep the pages turning as well.

I grew up on historical novels, a favourite writer was Rosemary Sutcliffe with novels such as The Eagle of the Ninth, The Lantern Bearers and Sword at Sunset. I re-read these as an adult and still enjoyed them. Anybody with kids who like reading should keep an eye open for these.

11. I will stick with VIZ

12. Fantastic book.....
    as previously mentioned Edward Rutherford also writes a mean Historical novel.

13. Spooky. I read it during GRANBY. Impressed me so much I read it again. Superb book.

14. Enjoyed Edward Rutherfords "Sarum". A location demonstrably imbued with personal enthusiasm as Salisbury was his birth town. Got bogged down a bit with Russka though.