Pilau Rice

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Jacques_Bustard, May 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to try making a pilau rice and plan to braise the rice in the oven using a cartouche instead of a lid. I've got hold of recipe but it doesn't tell you what temperature to have the oven or how long to braise it for, anyone any ideas?
  2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Not sure mate,but if you look HERE you will find lots of yummy Indian recipies for rice,curry ect.

3. Way I learned via the 'Curry secret' book is the following:

Wash and drain rice in multiple water changes, leave to dry for at least 20 minutes.
    Chop onion small and braise in a pan.*
    Add rice to coat with oil.
    Add boiling water (2 cups water for 1 cup rice)
    Allow to boil for a couple of minutes adding salt and spices such as tumeric if desired.
    Place in pre-heated oven at 175ºC and it takes 10-15 minutes.
    You may well need to stir rice once a bit to prevent the top layer from drying out.

Hint, it is better to switch off the oven when the rice is a tad wet and allow it to finish in it's own heat.

*This isn't strictly necessary, you can just put some oil in a pan and as it heats coat the rice, though the onion works nicely, and one doesn't need much.

Also instead of just frying onion one can fry up peppers, mushrooms,veg, and pieces of meat whatever you like, before adding rice and curry spices to get a very nice biryani, and all in one curry. The varieties are endless.
    - my favourite is a green pepper and mushroom rice than can be eaten alone or combined with a sauce. mmmmmmm.
  4. If you cook the rice with tumeric to make it yellow, a nice touch if you're cooking for a few people, is when the rice is almost cooked, take some out, place in 2 small bowls and add a small amount of water, one with a few drops of green food colouring, the other with red.

Mix through, clingfilm, then gently microwave till tender, then mix in to the yellow rice.

It really looks good, can be used cold as well as a rice salad.
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I was wondering how to make the multi coloured rice,the yellow one I already do but never thought of the food colouring.
    Thanks Vinnie!
  6. Not keen on red food colouring, its made from Cochineal, which is ground beatle shells
  7. I bake rice by putting double the volume boiling water to rice, salt and dot with butter. Cover with foil and bake at Gas 5 for 40 mins
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, the other two must be due to pop their clogs soon, so there will be a lot more on the market!

I think you'll find that there are other red dyes available that don't use bits of bug's bodies :)
  9. There are vegetarian versions available made from beet and hibiscus.
  10. true, but most of the stuff used in Indian food is cochineal based, red food colour is not hard to make at home as you say, beetroot, red onion skins, and some edable flowers can be used

I used to pull a trick on the pistol range before I found out about the beatles, take my shirt off shoot 2 rounds through it then smear it with cochineal and put a bit in my mouth , put shirt back on and stagger into the coffee room, always went down well with the children
  11. The secret is in the rinsing!! Put it in a seive and run it under the tap to wash starch off, then always use 2x water volume. I use a mug as a measure, 1 mug rice to 2 mugs water feeds 4
  12. do you stir it, or mess with it? One stir after water goes in, then don't touch!!
  13. I've never washed rice, and just used 3 mugs of water to 2 mugs of rice, bring to boil then simmer over lowest posslble heat.

Even better, dismantle a chicken carcass, throw in the bones with 2 pints of water and 3 bay leaves, skim if raw bones.

Simmer gently for an hour, then seive out bones, decanting the stock into another pan.

Chuck the bones, then split a tissue into it's 2 thin halves and line the seive with one piece.

Gently pour in the stock, the fat floats on top, so you get the stock coming through first, when the stock cools, you get the fat left in the seive.

Use the stock 50/ 50 with water, freeze the rest in a plastic bag for another meal.
  14. Whack this in.

Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Job Jobbed.
  15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Drop an ice cube into the stock,the fat will stick to it.