Pikey Watch

A simple question from a simple man.
Why are irish pikies still in GB? I thought one of the boris reforms was that this sort of thing was going to be looked into.
It’s all smoke and mirrors- just like the new unworkable bill on illegal camps. Add the inevitable children to the mix and they are bullet proof.
The solutions to this are just to politically unpalatable at this time and, I can’t see anything changing.

Yeah, Well like you hombre I don't give two fucks. ROPs , ban? I am not fussed. As far as I am aware we all fought for democracy and the right to free speech. So yes pikeys do one, bame activists that want to slag off my ex boss, do one. (Harry you can come back and I know you only went with her cos she sucks like a Dyson....never said that on telly boyo).
Right, anymore i can get barred for?
On another note and all jollies aside my mate is not too good at mo so I would appreciate QT for tomorrow

Respects to all

Dave Carter (Rapierman)
Are you having a smoke with @Ciggie ?

The problem with the new trespass bill isn't the pikey bit, its the way it is written. Out walking and get directionally confused and stray off a footpath? Criminal trespass.

Want to walk down across that field, using the farmers tractor ruts to get from the road to the river, to go canoeing? Illegal trespass.

Good intentions, badly executed.

The problem with the new trespass bill isn't the pikey bit, its the way it is written. Out walking and get directionally confused and stray off a footpath? Criminal trespass.

Want to walk down across that field, using the farmers tractor ruts to get from the road to the river, to go canoeing? Illegal trespass.

As I read it, the new legislation will have a very specific definition of trespass to avoid such problems. There have been all manner of petitions from canoeists, wild campers etc over the original proposals, this may address this (sounds of breath not being held).

They're paying lip service to what the electorate want them to do, making the appropriate noises for the papers and sound bites.

Deeds, not words.

It still has to get through parliament and it won't. The people who profit from the travellers' trespass are the lawyers. The landowners have to employ lawyers who pay court fees. The travellers get lawyers, probably on legal aid, paid by you to oppose the landowners' lawyers at every stage. A lot of MPs are lawyers.

It also assumes that the police will somehow acquire the resources to enforce these new laws, to evict and arrest trespassers. The police can't enforce the existing laws. They know the travellers' vehicles are stolen, untaxed, uninsured and/or with no road tax. They'd dearly love to batter the miscreants and impound the vehicles. They can't, they'd get battered. We & they all know it.

You'd need to either sub-contract the police work to the French CRS or employ a flying column of similarly motivated para-military police to fcuk them off every time they stop. It won't happen.
It will get through Parliament , but you are right on the enforcement side , plus let's not forget the Vanessa Redgraves of the world will come out in favour of them every time there is an eviction planned .

Even if it is criminal trespass you would have your day in court to mount a defence.

In the first instance if the private land wasn’t marked or fenced in any way and you made your way off it as soon as possible. I would think you had a defence.

In the second instance if you knowingly trespass and plan to do so then you are committing an offence. I would then think the landowner would be justified in having you prosecuted.

The average canoeist or hillwalker isn't going equipped to break into a shed or barn or house with battery powered angle-grinders or trying to steal your horse box with his own 4 x 4....

The average canoeist or hillwalker isn't going equipped to break into a shed or barn or house with battery powered angle-grinders or trying to steal your horse box with his own 4 x 4....
This is true, but the wormdrowners get irate when you float down ‘their‘ river, ‘disturbing’ ‘their’ fish from getting a hook through the gills... presently it’s only a civil offence, but the threat of ending up in court/jail is worrying.

This is true, but the wormdrowners get irate when you float down ‘their‘ river, ‘disturbing’ ‘their’ fish from getting a hook through the gills... presently it’s only a civil offence, but the threat of ending up in court/jail is worrying.
This is where catapults and 1 ounce lead weights come into play, punching holes in the Pugwash walts boats.

This is where catapults and 1 ounce lead weights come into play, punching holes in the Pugwash walts boats.
Yeah, that’s funny as... until one gets out of his boat and knocks your teeth out with his paddle. Fortunately most boaters and most anglers have better manners.

Yeah, that’s funny as... until one gets out of his boat and knocks your teeth out with his paddle. Fortunately most boaters and most anglers have better manners.
To be fair I'm normally in the river up to my nuts in water in a pair of chest waders.
The few paddlers I've encountered, on the whole have been very polite. That said there are ********* on both sides who think that their use of the river trumps everyone else's.

And that's where the problems occur.

I thought that only applied to privately owned stretches of rivers?
Very few boaters will paddle outside the law and access agreements. There is so little open access to rivers that no one is going to deliberately put it at risk. Sadly, like the cyclist/motorist situation on the roads, there will always be the few on each side who feel more entitled.

To be fair I'm normally in the river up to my nuts in water in a pair of chest waders.
The few paddlers I've encountered, on the whole have been very polite. That said there are ********* on both sides who think that their use of the river trumps everyone else's.

And that's where the problems occur.
Agreed.

We may well have encountered one another.

I normally ask where your line is, if I can't see it, and then avoid as widely as possible.

One chap we used to meet frequently on the Tees, when I lived and paddled up that way, used to ask us to go between him and the bank!

Agreed.

We may well have encountered one another.

I normally ask where your line is, if I can't see it, and then avoid as widely as possible.

One chap we used to meet frequently on the Tees, when I lived and paddled up that way, used to ask us to go between him and the bank!
I had the one set of canoeists do exactly that. Pleasantries exchanged etc etc and everyone was happy.

Latest Threads