Pikey Watch

Travellers face up to three months in jail if they set up unauthorised camps under a new law that will make intentional trespass a criminal offence.

Police will get powers to seize vehicles and arrest offenders who refuse to move off private land when asked.

The new offence - under which those found guilty will face £2,500 fines as well as a potential jail sentence - will be tightly defined so that it is not applicable to occasional campers, hikers or ramblers who stray on to private land.

The proposals, to be announced on Tuesday, will be included in a Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, which will also enact Boris Johnson's plans to impose longer sentences on serious offenders, including life terms for killers of children and those aged 18-20, and an end to early release for those jailed for more than four years.

Police will also get powers to stop and search anyone with a conviction for possessing a knife, and there will be measures to bar "digital strip searches" of rape victims, under a law to prevent investigators trawling their sex lives.

At present, trespass is a civil offence, forcing landowners to fight lengthy court battles. It is estimated there are some 23,000 traveller caravans in England, of which 14 per cent are parked on unauthorised sites.

Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, said: "I am delivering on my commitment to give the police the powers they need to tackle these encampments swiftly and effectively." Police will also get powers to direct trespassers away from land under amendments to the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994.

A Home Office spokesman said: "The Government recognises people's right to a nomadic life, but this must be balanced against the rights of landowners and local communities."

The charity Friends, Families and Travellers said it was "deeply unfair" of the Government to create new laws to imprison and fine travellers when it had failed to identify enough land on which they could live.

"The charity Friends, Families and Travellers said it was "deeply unfair" of the Government to create new laws to imprison and fine travellers when it had failed to identify enough land on which they could live."

I've identified somewhere they could live........ bloody Ireland.

The charity Friends, Families and Travellers said it was "deeply unfair" of the Government to create new laws to imprison and fine travellers when it had failed to identify enough land on which they could live.

1615224344951.png

NSP

LE
Travellers face up to three months in jail if they set up unauthorised camps under a new law that will make intentional trespass a criminal offence.
I wonder if that will only apply to caravans or will it apply to anyone who "intentionally trespasses" - like my thick neighbour with her fucking wheelie bin...?

Police will get powers to seize vehicles and arrest offenders who refuse to move off private land when asked.

The new offence - under which those found guilty will face £2,500 fines as well as a potential jail sentence - will be tightly defined so that it is not applicable to occasional campers, hikers or ramblers who stray on to private land.

They're paying lip service to what the electorate want them to do, making the appropriate noises for the papers and sound bites.

Deeds, not words.

It still has to get through parliament and it won't. The people who profit from the travellers' trespass are the lawyers. The landowners have to employ lawyers who pay court fees. The travellers get lawyers, probably on legal aid, paid by you to oppose the landowners' lawyers at every stage. A lot of MPs are lawyers.

It also assumes that the police will somehow acquire the resources to enforce these new laws, to evict and arrest trespassers. The police can't enforce the existing laws. They know the travellers' vehicles are stolen, untaxed, uninsured and/or with no current MoTs. They'd dearly love to batter the miscreants and impound the vehicles. They can't, they'd get battered. We, & they, all know it.

You'd need to either sub-contract the police work to the French CRS or employ a flying column of similarly motivated para-military police to fcuk them off every time they stop. It won't happen.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The Guardian's enormously hypocritical, mendacious and sanctimonious response:

I found just one sentence in that lengthy whine which approximated the true reason for Pontins' action: "We know the common stories of shops, pubs and hotels shutting their premises in the event of Mincéirí weddings or funerals nearby. "

I notice how they don't allow comments on that article either. surely the guardian can't be worried that people might disagree with them about the poor misunderstood salt of the earth permavictim carvan utilising nomadic travelling sorts??

NSP

LE
It also assumes that the police will somehow acquire the testicular fortitude to enforce these new laws, to evict and arrest trespassers. The police can't enforce the existing laws. They know the travellers' vehicles are stolen, untaxed, uninsured and/or with no road tax. They'd dearly love to batter the miscreants and impound the vehicles. They can't, they'd get battered. We & they all know it.
Adjusted slightly to improve accuracy but otherwise top marks. A gold star will be stuck on your report card.

Kirkz

LE
"The charity Friends, Families and Travellers said it was "deeply unfair" of the Government to create new laws to imprison and fine travellers when it had failed to identify enough land on which they could live."

I've identified somewhere they could live........ bloody Ireland.
I've identified somewhere they can live, in a ******* house.

NSP

LE
I'll say nowt.
Last time I mentioned solutions to the pikey problem I got twatted with the ban hammer.
Interesting. This solution? - was it a master-plan? A solution that would decisively solve the problem and thus no further solutions would need to be devised? In essence, a final solution?

If so, I have to advise you that, whilst a solution to decisively solve the problem for the greatest good of the greatest number would be desirable, unfortunate historical precedent regarding solutions to ideological social problems possessed of finality means that they are somewhat politically sensitive.

Thus, to avoid sanction, you should perhaps have suggested a penultimate solution instead.

The Guardian's enormously hypocritical, mendacious and sanctimonious response:

I found just one sentence in that lengthy whine which approximated the true reason for Pontins' action: "We know the common stories of shops, pubs and hotels shutting their premises in the event of Mincéirí weddings or funerals nearby. "

My name is on that list.

I stayed at a Pontins decades ago, when the kids were young and I was hard up. There were travellers staying there at the same time. We watched in wonder from the chalet windows as they stuffed Pontins' duvets and bedding into their Transits, with no effort being made to do it covertly. It was done as casually as many people might keep a tiny bottle of shampoo from a hotel room.

It's not racial prejudice, it's more postjudice.

I now find that I can never go back to Pontins again. I thank Christ for that.
I wouldn't go back, but I'd back Pontins.

Yeah, Well like you hombre I don't give two fucks. ROPs , ban? I am not fussed. As far as I am aware we all fought for democracy and the right to free speech. So yes pikeys do one, bame activists that want to slag off my ex boss, do one. (Harry you can come back and I know you only went with her cos she sucks like a Dyson....never said that on telly boyo).
Right, anymore i can get barred for?
On another note and all jollies aside my mate is not too good at mo so I would appreciate QT for tomorrow

Respects to all

Dave Carter (Rapierman)

A simple question from a simple man.
Why are irish pikies still in GB? I thought one of the boris reforms was that this sort of thing was going to be looked into.