Pigeon catching?

A lovely little racing pigeon stopped in my garden on Sunday.As we were sitting outside enjoying it was around the table,so I was able to pick it up.We put it in a cat carrying box with food and water.Looking online I read that after 24 hours rest I should release it so it could continue it's journey home to Heathrow.
So expecting a Born Free moment I took it into the garden on Monday morning and launched it into the sky.It flew one circuit around my small paddock and came back,landing in a tree.It is still here and I need to catch it.
I have a landing net and after one pathetic attempt to catch him as soon as he sees the net he stays out of reach.
I have a feeling the owner will neck it if he comes to collect it,but despite this a 12 bore solution would not be appropriate.
Any thoughts?

Bread crumbs, a cardboard box, a stick and some string. Used to work when I was a kid.

Good God you did that as well? I thought it was just a Devon thing.Thanks for reminding me.Got to be worth a try!

PS Apart from using breadcrumbs obviously.
Funny you should say that... this was taken from a Mr Tarbuck's phone:

[video=youtube;1cmOCl3AAcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmOCl3AAcs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Good God you did that as well? I thought it was just a Devon thing.Thanks for reminding me.Got to be worth a try!

PS Apart from using breadcrumbs obviously.
Nope we did it in deepest darkest Sussex as well.

28g of No. 6 are best for pigeon. Hull, Gamebore & Eley are all very good.

Simpler way thread corn onto cotton and tie one end to a heavy object - bit like fishing. When the winged rat swallows tyhe corn it can't fly. Walk over pick it up. (put in cat box, preferably with cat)

Stick, string, bait and a wire shopping basket from local supermarket worked in Manchester
Didn't have a supermarket where we lived, you posh bastard.

I'm perplexed that it is not already happily integrated into a game pie.

I'm perplexed that it is not already happily integrated into a game pie.
It's a racing pigeon not a woody - probably not a lot of meat on the thing.

Years ago before Ken Livingstone began his pigeon pogrom at Trafalgar Square a bloke was caught there netting the flying rats. He was selling them to Rules and other game restaurants.

This will stop that pesky pigeon... Blah!

Attachments

It's a racing pigeon not a woody - probably not a lot of meat on the thing.

Years ago before Ken Livingstone began his pigeon pogrom at Trafalgar Square a bloke was caught there netting the flying rats. He was selling them to Rules and other game restaurants.
Well you could put "locally sourced" on the menu without fibbing.