Pigeon catching?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by vvaannmmaann, May 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A lovely little racing pigeon stopped in my garden on Sunday.As we were sitting outside enjoying it was around the table,so I was able to pick it up.We put it in a cat carrying box with food and water.Looking online I read that after 24 hours rest I should release it so it could continue it's journey home to Heathrow.
    So expecting a Born Free moment I took it into the garden on Monday morning and launched it into the sky.It flew one circuit around my small paddock and came back,landing in a tree.It is still here and I need to catch it.
    I have a landing net and after one pathetic attempt to catch him as soon as he sees the net he stays out of reach.
    I have a feeling the owner will neck it if he comes to collect it,but despite this a 12 bore solution would not be appropriate.
    Any thoughts?

2. Bread crumbs, a cardboard box, a stick and some string. Used to work when I was a kid.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 5
  4. I think ACME do a range of gadgets designed for catching fast birds.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Good God you did that as well? I thought it was just a Devon thing.Thanks for reminding me.Got to be worth a try!

PS Apart from using breadcrumbs obviously.

6. Is it very naive to suggest you use the same method of capture as before? With bait.

7. Funny you should say that... this was taken from a Mr Tarbuck's phone:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nope we did it in deepest darkest Sussex as well.

9. Spooky - I'm near to Rye now!

• Like Like x 1
  10. get one of these [​IMG] either it will come to your safe arms or bugger off and stop shitting over your car.

• Like Like x 3
  11. 28g of No. 6 are best for pigeon. Hull, Gamebore & Eley are all very good.

12. I was dragged up near Crowborough

• Like Like x 1
  13. Simpler way thread corn onto cotton and tie one end to a heavy object - bit like fishing. When the winged rat swallows tyhe corn it can't fly. Walk over pick it up. (put in cat box, preferably with cat)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Didn't have a supermarket where we lived, you posh bastard.

15. I'm perplexed that it is not already happily integrated into a game pie.