Pierrepoint on now.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by JINGO, Aug 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Showing now on ITV Central. Only been on a few minutes but its shaping up to look very good. Interesting contrast to todays pampered lags!!
  2. JINGO

I stand corrected FS, I expect i should have watched the whole thing before posting a title like that!! my own fault for jumping the gun. Still I suppose its started a debate! :wink:
  3. I recall seeing Timothy Spall being interviewed about his role in this drama. As with everything he does, his portrayal is brilliant.
  4. For the first fifty-six years of this century the name Pierrepoint appeared on the short list of Home Office qualified executioners.

Albert Pierrepoint became an executioner in 1931 and held the office of Official Executioner until 1956.

He carried out over 400 executions. Now, after many years, he should be introduced to the 'Big Brother Ouse' because my daughters are watching it at the moment. I want to watch Albert work his way through the stretching of the rope, the 2 minute task, hood and drop the lot.

Henry, Thomas and Albert would put one in the ' Ouse' right now. Bring it on.

Ooooh !
  5. JINGO

Got to agree with you Bovvy, its rivetting stuff.
  6. ' I have seen prison officers faint on the scaffold, strong men weep, and a woman prison officer crying helplessly. I have known prison doctors who could not examine the body after execution because the beat of their own heart was obliterating anything they could distinguish.I have felt overpowering sorrow for the victims of crime, for little children murdered.., '

Good man.
  7. Albert wasn't the last hangman. Two historic hangings took place at the same time in two different cities at 0800 on the 13th of August 1964.

They were conducted at Manchester and Liverpool by two assistants who succeeded Albert Pierrepoint.
  8. JINGO

Tried to edit title to correct historical inaccuracy and failed miserably! Still I take your point FS and JW.
  9. Very good film I thought. Deserves more than the 3 stars given to it by Radio Times.

Although it is inaccurate in places, it is very well done and Spall gives an excellent performance.
  10. That's ok matey.

I purchased his paper back published by CORONET in 1970. I now parade the same sepia tone as the book.
  11. I have in my possession the death watch journal for R mc gladdery, last to hang in N Ireland, cough alledgedly.
    It's nothing more than a little grey HMSO book.An interesting point is the last entry everynight"prisoner slept soundly"....how the f... did he manage that
  12. Just out of curiosity..what were the inaccurancies
  13. Just about the whole of the war time scenes are totally inaccurate. The No2 was actually a Warrant Officer rather than an officer and the executions didn't take place on a make shift scaffold in a warehouse but in a German Nick.
  14. IIRC, Albert was only supposed to be a consultant/observer at Nuremburg. But was so appalled by the the way the first executions were carried out that he volunteered to do the rest of them, so they would be carried out efficiently.

A master of his craft. I believe his personal best, from shaking hands with the criminal in the cell to pulling the lever, was measured in seconds... 8O