Piece of shit AGA

Get rid of it. There was an oil fired Aga in our house when we moved in. Nice for drying the washing and making toast, useless for cooking. Replaced it with a Rangemaster double oven thing with an induction hob.
Agas are a total anachronism now, though when we move, hopefully soon-ish, I tempted by a wood fired oven with a back boiler for radiators. See them advertised in Farmers Weekly.

I had one of those in my first house. Original thing, built-in when the house was new (1860s).

As i was a tree surgeon, l could feed it the very choicest of perfect firewood (sold all the crap!) and it was great. It had been refurbished some time in the 80s at a guess, with a feed out for CH. The house didn't actually have CH, we installed it and the engineer spotted the back boiler. Had it fettled, and there was rarely a whiff of gas used for heating. Keep the thing smouldering, kept the house toasty even with ill fitting original, well, 1920s, windows.

I was a huge fan of it but i suspect getting the fuel for nothing was a factor!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It blows again and I’ve wasted 300 quid?
You can afford it.

Last edited:
Dover stove is what you need. Cost you less than that circuit board. We have one in the pub at the brewery for warmth in winter and I chuck the odd loaf of bread in there to bake. Drives the punters crazy. Usually goes to the ntombezaan with the nicest tits when it comes out of the oven.

...Or if you want to be posh...

Yarra

Old-Salt
After his minted parents snuffed it and pool was scooped, sister in law got her dream house in the Cotswolds and obligatory dream kitchen complete with obligatory BFO electric AGA.

Cost a fortune and despite trying really, really hard to convince themselves otherwise, both she and husband absolutely detested it.

So out it went into the hands of an outfit which gave them a pittance for it. Which went in small part towards full remodelling of kitchen, coventional double oven and hob.

He reckons if he looks at an AGA now filled with a sense of self loathing for being such a mug.
Chavs.

15855527480631001905486758231227.jpg

The undeniable heart of our home. On mains gas on 24/7 at a setting of 5. Does all our cooking - perfectly. We get the thermocouple replaced annually and the lid seals every other year. That's it.

Normally there is a teenager and a dog lounging against it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Agas.are to cooking what the Italians are to combat effectiveness.
Have to disagree with that. Used properly there is nothing an Aga can't cook beautifully.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
@Ravers once it's fixed, book yourselves on a course. The Aga dealerships do them, plus there are some good Independent trainers, Sarah Whittaker for one. Learn why it was designed, how it works and how to get the best out of it. Or invite Mary Berry to stay ;-)

In fact, there's a business opportunity for you. Host the courses in your kitchen. Join the 'I love my Aga' fb page and see the number of yummy mummies who would attend!

Edited to add - or invite me to stay. For a drive in a Ferrari I will teach you!!!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Ravers once it's fixed, book yourselves on a course. The Aga dealerships do them, plus there are some good Independent trainers, Sarah Whittaker for one. Learn why it was designed, how it works and how to get the best out of it. Or invite Mary Berry to stay ;-)

In fact, there's a business opportunity for you. Host the courses in your kitchen. Join the 'I love my Aga' fb page and see the number of yummy mummies who would attend!

Edited to add - or invite me to stay. For a drive in a Ferrari I will teach you!!!
I can picture the course content now:

Module 1: Buy a microwave.

Module 2: Basic Firefighting.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just to confirm, I can actually cook very well on it, but it’s a pain in the arse and brings nothing to the party over a standard oven.

There is a reason restaurants don’t use Agas.

Many moons ago an ex-work colleague decided to buy a Ferrari (a 208 IIRC). At the time he was working out in the Middle East in the middle of the oil boom doing 2 months out there and a month back home.

Almost every time he got home this bloody thing would refuse to start and have to be fettled at great cost before it could be coaxed into life. It also went through 8 spark plugs every 6 months, which had to be fitted by the dealer at some ridiculous cost as well as needing the 4 twin choke Webers adjusted at the same time.

As a Ferrari owner, @Ravers should perfectly understand the minor tribulations behind owning a unique and classic piece of engineering....

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Many moons ago an ex-work colleague decided to buy a Ferrari (a 208 IIRC). At the time he was working out in the Middle East in the middle of the oil boom doing 2 months out there and a month back home.

Almost every time he got home this bloody thing would refuse to start and have to be fettled at great cost before it could be coaxed into life. It also went through 8 spark plugs every 6 months, which had to be fitted by the dealer at some ridiculous cost as well as needing the 4 twin choke Webers adjusted at the same time.

As a Ferrari owner, @Ravers should perfectly understand the minor tribulations behind owning a unique and classic piece of engineering....
The 208 was a dog. Basically a 308 with a shitter engine and a dodgy turbo to meet Italian emission regulations.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Or you could have a normal cooker and not need to spend your spare time doing an OU degree in Aga.
TBH - we just whack things into the oven and let them cook - quickly. Our 'ping machine' remains unused The key to the Aga is to do cooking in the ovens and not the hob. The right-had hob makes perfect drop-scones and pancakes. Which I am making when 'working from home'.

Latest Threads