Piece of shit AGA

Oops

Old-Salt
@Ravers , I think your aga is definitely showing the advanced signs of dementia....

It's only an Artic air mass in Late march
rather than a foot of snow and minus Teens during Christmas Week...

You're obviously recovering fast from the life threatening Lurgy rather than just developing that 'little tickle' in the back of the throat that's making you cough occasionally....

Your family seem to be in good health
(hopefully)...

The interweb isn't 'down' restricting access to the best technical brains HM Forces have produced over the last half century!

Pah,
It's almost like it is an inanimate domestic object rather than the embedded all knowing controller of your family's domestic wellbeing!

Stick it on interweb, there's always some Johnny come lately Whizz Kid that made his dosh in the City and is, even as we speak, being browbeaten and brainwashed by Mrs WK who spends her afternoon gin sessions watching Kirsty, Phil and Co. explain that EVERY country farmhouse kitchen 'JUST SO NEEDS' That special feature 'TO ADD THAT FINAL TOUCH OF AUTHENTICITY'......for when they decide to make themselves either terribly lonely or terribly unpopular out in the Sticks.
Worcester Bosch Greenstar Oil boiler, Rangemaster Cooker....you'd still have change for another Frari.

Me, cynical...
( I'm sat in the tractor cab, cos behind the glass i can actually feel my fingers and toes)
My interaction with the kids this morning has been...
"Dad, why's it so bloody cold, in here, and why are the curtains moving....."
Interspersed with
WHY DID YOU JUST OPEN THE SODDIN DOOR....( Dog or Dad, makes no difference)

Just remember...
Oils' cheaper than Divorce.
( I couldn't afford either, maybe that's why I'm down to silage wrap and pallets)

Am I authentic eough Kirsty?

Truxx

LE
Er, me. Reasonably frequently, and very good they are too :)

@Ravers - my thought process would be something like this:

Ultimately, I would think that one (or more) of the heating elements is ball bagged. Whichever elements you had on yesterday when the white smoke escaped would be the prime suspects. No idea how you test a stove element, but I would think it’s basically a resistance, which should be relatively easy to test.
There are only 2 wires to an element. There will be a resistance between the two. no resistance and it is goosed.

This looked interesting:

Truxx

LE
@Ravers , I think your aga is definitely showing the advanced signs of dementia....

It's only an Artic air mass in Late march
rather than a foot of snow and minus Teens during Christmas Week...

You're obviously recovering fast from the life threatening Lurgy rather than just developing that 'little tickle' in the back of the throat that's making you cough occasionally....

Your family seem to be in good health
(hopefully)...

The interweb isn't 'down' restricting access to the best technical brains HM Forces have produced over the last half century!

Pah,
It's almost like it is an inanimate domestic object rather than the embedded all knowing controller of your family's domestic wellbeing!

Stick it on interweb, there's always some Johnny come lately Whizz Kid that made his dosh in the City and is, even as we speak, being browbeaten and brainwashed by Mrs WK who spends her afternoon gin sessions watching Kirsty, Phil and Co. explain that EVERY country farmhouse kitchen 'JUST SO NEEDS' That special feature 'TO ADD THAT FINAL TOUCH OF AUTHENTICITY'......for when they decide to make themselves either terribly lonely or terribly unpopular out in the Sticks.
Worcester Bosch Greenstar Oil boiler, Rangemaster Cooker....you'd still have change for another Frari.

Me, cynical...
( I'm sat in the tractor cab, cos behind the glass i can actually feel my fingers and toes)
My interaction with the kids this morning has been...
"Dad, why's it so bloody cold, in here, and why are the curtains moving....."
Interspersed with
WHY DID YOU JUST OPEN THE SODDIN DOOR....( Dog or Dad, makes no difference)

Just remember...
Oils' cheaper than Divorce.
( I couldn't afford either, maybe that's why I'm down to silage wrap and pallets)

Am I authentic eough Kirsty?
Oh and buy a Rayburn if you really must - or a proper old skool range with a crane.

Oops

Old-Salt
Ist thou wearing your best '80's shellsuit as thou typest that, old bean?
Ye lar.
Not gettin a haircut last week and being isolated for the foreseeable gets me the Ket wig ..
Black North Face 'hoodys' combined wit black/grey 'trackys' are now de rigeur....
My sh*tty overalls are close enough.

My birth certificate makes me a Scally
My lack of Purple bin makes me a Wool

Cultural appropriation My Arse!

Should have installed a gas Aga. My Mum's one has never broken down. Still going strong decades later.

Provides gallons of hot water, great for baking and cooking and drying your washing when it can't be hung outside. Happy memories of warming gloves and coats on it in the mid 70s before heading out into the snow to catch the school bus.

Oh and your animals love sleeping in front of it.

My aunt had a coal fired Essie, much harder work.

Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Should have installed a gas Aga. My Mum's one has never broken down. Still going strong decades later.

Provides gallons of hot water, great for baking and cooking and drying your washing when it can't be hung outside. Happy memories of warming gloves and coats on it in the mid 70s before heading out into the snow to catch the school bus.

Hope you get it sorted.
He lives out in the sticks. Doubt he has mains gas available. Propane works, but it’s more expensive than natural gas. We’re in a similar boat, no mains gas, so we have a propane tank that gets filled every couple months.

It seems chicken shit is by far the cheapest :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Hope you get it sorted.
Only one minor issue with this fantastic plan.

We aren’t on mains gas.

Blogg

LE
After his minted parents snuffed it and pool was scooped, sister in law got her dream house in the Cotswolds and obligatory dream kitchen complete with obligatory BFO electric AGA.

Cost a fortune and despite trying really, really hard to convince themselves otherwise, both she and husband absolutely detested it.

So out it went into the hands of an outfit which gave them a pittance for it. Which went in small part towards full remodelling of kitchen, coventional double oven and hob.

He reckons if he looks at an AGA now filled with a sense of self loathing for being such a mug.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sounds like Ravers will be for the foreseeable future!
Last time this thing went tits up (it happens a lot) I resorted to doing pizzas in the log burner.

Mixed results if I’m honest.

Edited to add: it’s a really big log burner, not a really small pizza.

12950AEB-793E-425F-9181-F419A3E54DA8.jpeg

Last time this thing went tits up (it happens a lot) I resorted to doing pizzas in the log burner.

Mixed results if I’m honest.

Edited to add: it’s a really big log burner, not a really small pizza.

View attachment 460924
Well it sounds like microwave meals and Pot Noodles will be the order of the day at Chez Ravers.....

Truxx

LE
He lives out in the sticks. Doubt he has mains gas available. Propane works, but it’s more expensive than natural gas. We’re in a similar boat, no mains gas, so we have a propane tank that gets filled every couple months.

It seems chicken shit is by far the cheapest :)
Last couple of houses we have had (not a million miles from @Ravers) we have used just bottled gas rather than a tank. Fitted in pairs when one needed refilling it was just a case of switching over then calling the supplier who would come straight out and swap them over. Not that that happened often.

Used to be a factory backing onto the canal near where my narrow boat was moored which had a 50,000 litre heating oil tank on the back, that was damn handy when I was passing at 4 am and very generous of them.

Last couple of houses we have had (not a million miles from @Ravers) we have used just bottled gas rather than a tank. Fitted in pairs when one needed refilling it was just a case of switching over then calling the supplier who would come straight out and swap them over. Not that that happened often.
The tank was actually free. Just had to pay for installation. I think it was $900 or similar. They just filled it after the winter, and I think the bill was $450. Not bad to heat our house for the cold months. We have two gas furnaces, a pretty large gas fire and a gas cooktop. In our last house we had mains gas, and in the winter months, the gas bill could be $450/month. So it’s about a third of that cost, and a larger house to boot. The insulation in the old house must have been absolutely dire.

Hope you get it sorted.
This .
I bought a cottage with an oil- fired one, converted it to gas- fired at no great expense.
It was a joy to use, easy to clean, cheap to run and totally reliable.

When it was switched off for the summer, just raise the two lids and you have a big area to place an electric bbq grill.

Would love to have one again.

Truxx

LE
The tank was actually free. Just had to pay for installation. I think it was $900 or similar. They just filled it after the winter, and I think the bill was $450. Not bad to heat our house for the cold months. We have two gas furnaces, a pretty large gas fire and a gas cooktop. In our last house we had mains gas, and in the winter months, the gas bill could be $450/month. So it’s about a third of that cost, and a larger house to boot. The insulation in the old house must have been absolutely dire.
I think it was going to be about £1500 here.

on the actual fuel costs KwH for KwH oil worked out cheaper.

Latest Threads