Piece of shit AGA

The villagers of Cumbria think you've got what's coming to you for experimenting with this new fangled electikery @Ravers .

Bollox

Little known fact for you, a small mining village in Cumbria was the pioneer of electric street lighting.
Excess hydro electric power from the lead mines in Nenthead provided electric street lighting long before the posh end of the country had it.

There are people around Kings Meaburn/ Maulds Meaburn who are scared of water that comes out of a tap !.
Watched some old news footage the other day from the village in Northumberland that my grandparents were from.
1969. The whole village had earth closets across the back lane from the house and three standpipes to each street.
Mo internal plumbing at all.

Not long after they demolished the entire village for opencast

Bollox

Little known fact for you, a small mining village in Cumbria was the pioneer of electric street lighting.
Excess hydro electric power from the lead mines in Nenthead provided electric street lighting long before the posh end of the country had it.
Only after they dug 4 miles underground looking for a seam of electricity.

Only after they dug 4 miles underground looking for a seam of electricity.
Considerably more than that.
I believe that there are 127 miles of lead mines tunnels under Nenthead. Much of it still accessible.
Power was generated 300ft underground by turbines. During the day the electricity powered the mines and processing plants.
At night some of the power ran the streetlights.

If you are bold enough to dangle a few hundred feet on a rope some of the turbines can still be found
1585674585013.png

It was completely rewired in the late 80s. We inherited it, the wife’s family built it about 400 years ago. Any bodgeneering in this house is all my own.

To be honest the wiring is the least of our worries. it’s got a decent modern RCD fuse board. Well 4 actually.
fairy liquid -

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
And just exactly where would be the fun in that?
A thread such as
'My cooker broke, I got a fella to fix it" wouldn't get 14 pages, and much fun during these febrile times..
@Ravers is just performing his Civic duty.
In spite of mucho adversity, never once has anyone asked him his boot size, only where his keys are kept!
Ah, ok. Sorry, I understand now. Bit slow on the uptake occasionally. Very good response in this thread on the relationship between smoke and electrickery by the way.

Considerably more than that.
I believe that there are 127 miles of lead mines tunnels under Nenthead. Much of it still accessible.
Power was generated 300ft underground by turbines. During the day the electricity powered the mines and processing plants.
At night some of the power ran the streetlights.

If you are bold enough to dangle a few hundred feet on a rope some of the turbines can still be found
View attachment 461479

Do I want to dangle 200 foot down a unstable disused mineshaft to look at some rusty cogs ?

Let me think about it .

No.

Oops

War Hero
1980's cable degrading...
We don't get that with the lead covered stuff here!

This house was the first to get mains leccy in the parish,(on its route to theBig Hall).

*I have actually taken a picture of a switch hanging off the wall just like yours, but on second thoughts I daren't post it ...
You might shout at me.
Ps
Size 12's with VERY thick rubber soles.

Do I want to dangle 200 foot down a unstable disused mineshaft to look at some rusty cogs ?

Let me think about it .

No.
Most of them in Nenthead are 300 feet. Related to depth of vein. There are mines in the Lakes that were 2000 feet top to bottom
Going down 300 feet on a rope isn't to bad, prussicing back up it is a bit of a ball ache

Pretty fascinating really. At one time it was possible to get to the three neighbouring valleys traveling underground

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Most of them in Nenthead are 300 feet. Related to depth of vein. There are mines in the Lakes that were 2000 feet top to bottom
Going down 300 feet on a rope isn't to bad, prussicing back up it is a bit of a ball ache

Pretty fascinating really. At one time it was possible to get to the three neighbouring valleys traveling underground
I would love to get underneath Whitehaven and have a mooch around in the pits down there.

Miles and miles of them going out under the Irish sea.

As far as I’m aware they were all capped and there is nowhere you can get in.

Probably a good thing given how common gas explosions were down there.

I would love to get underneath Whitehaven and have a mooch around in the pits down there.

Miles and miles of them going out under the Irish sea.

As far as I’m aware they were all capped and there is nowhere you can get in.

Probably a good thing given how common gas explosions were down there.

You may soon get your chance

Its coming back.
If I remember rightly the West Cumberland Coalfield killed around a 1000 men a year at one point.
I've been in a couple of collieries out that way over the years, interesting places but not somewhere I'd like to work
Went down Florence iron ore mine a few times before Sellafield stopped extracting water from there and it flooded too, Furness was littered with iron and coal too.

As a naval type some of the history will interest you with John Paul Jones' raid on Whitehaven
At the time Whitehaven iron reputedly cast the best cannon in the world.

The closet you can get to that now in the UK is Boulby Potash over in Cleveland, runs for miles out under the North Sea, about a mile deep!

Last edited:
The villagers of Cumbria think you've got what's coming to you for experimenting with this new fangled electikery @Ravers .
That's good, considering that they've got the big plant down at the bottom which makes glowing things and two-headed fish

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's good, considering that they've got the big plant down at the bottom which makes glowing things and two-headed fish
I’m over 60 miles from the scary glowy place.

Latest Threads