Piece of shit AGA

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone good with these overpriced pieces of crap?

Specifically 13amp electric AIMS (Aga Intelligent Management System) versions.

Ours was originally installed about 40 years ago. It started life as an oil fired one, giving years of sterling service, burning thousands of pounds worth of oil and smelling like a diesel refinery.

When we first moved in we had it refurbed and converted to 13amp electric for the bargain price of just under 3 grand.

Now instead of spending 100 quid a month on oil, we spend the same on electricity.

Great.

But it allows us to live the perfect middle class country lifestyle and brag to visitors about the fact we have a kettle that whistles.

Part of the fun of owning this thing is that it just stops working from time to time for no reason at all. Always fun to wake up in the morning and find the thing stone cold.

Usually I can just reset the thing and it comes back to life. It only takes about 12 hours to get back up to cooking temperature, which is mega when the kids are demanding breakfast.

As for cooking on the thing, it’s basically guess work. Frozen pizzas only take about 3 minutes, but a roast takes 9 hours.

Anyway I digress.

Once again I’ve woken up to find this thing is stone cold.

Except this time it won’t come back to life. Reset button is doing nothing. There is no power to it. I’ve changed the fuse going into the wall, but she’s properly dead.

This is our only means of cooking and we can’t get an engineer out because of the lockdown.

Looks like we’re having BBQs for the foreseeable future.

Any ideas?

3F5F267D-173F-48E6-9D7E-6187C337F82E.jpeg

I had always wondered about those stoves, if they were worth their eye-watering prices. Thank you for having provided me with a definite answer.

Nothing on fixing that.

However, for a very short term fix you can get standalone hobs that plug into a normal wall socket. That would at least allow you to fry and boil stuff which, with a microwave, would allow for a bit more variety than cold beans out of the tin.

You do own a microwave somewhere in your castle don't you?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had always wondered about those stoves, if they were worth their eye-watering prices. Thank you for having provided me with a definite answer.
They are absolute shite. Some people swear by them, I assume they must have some sort of mental problem.

I’ve only been struggling on with this one out of stubbornness because I’ve already spunked so much money on it.

Time to go I think.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nothing on fixing that.

However, for a very short term fix you can get standalone hobs that plug into a normal wall socket. That would at least allow you to fry and boil stuff which, with a microwave, would allow for a bit more variety than cold beans out of the tin.

You do own a microwave somewhere in your castle don't you?
Aye, just ordered one of those electric jobs off the Amazon.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thsi is why most people living in the boonies and using one of these have a gas hob fed by a propane bottle too.
Out kitchen is quite a weird layout and there isn’t anywhere to put a normal oven. Despite being a big room, there are doors in 3 of the 4 walls so space where you’d actually put something like that is limited.

Old house problems.

Anyone good with these overpriced pieces of crap?

Specifically 13amp electric AIMS (Aga Intelligent Management System) versions.

Ours was originally installed about 40 years ago. It started life as an oil fired one, giving years of sterling service, burning thousands of pounds worth of oil and smelling like a diesel refinery.

When we first moved in we had it refurbed and converted to 13amp electric for the bargain price of just under 3 grand.

Now instead of spending 100 quid a month on oil, we spend the same on electricity.

Great.

But it allows us to live the perfect middle class country lifestyle and brag to visitors about the fact we have a kettle that whistles.

Part of the fun of owning this thing is that it just stops working from time to time for no reason at all. Always fun to wake up in the morning and find the thing stone cold.

Usually I can just reset the thing and it comes back to life. It only takes about 12 hours to get back up to cooking temperature, which is mega when the kids are demanding breakfast.

As for cooking on the thing, it’s basically guess work. Frozen pizzas only take about 3 minutes, but a roast takes 9 hours.

Anyway I digress.

Once again I’ve woken up to find this thing is stone cold.

Except this time it won’t come back to life. Reset button is doing nothing. There is no power to it. I’ve changed the fuse going into the wall, but she’s properly dead.

This is our only means of cooking and we can’t get an engineer out because of the lockdown.

Looks like we’re having BBQs for the foreseeable future.

Any ideas?

View attachment 460845
Get rid of it. There was an oil fired Aga in our house when we moved in. Nice for drying the washing and making toast, useless for cooking. Replaced it with a Rangemaster double oven thing with an induction hob.
Agas are a total anachronism now, though when we move, hopefully soon-ish, I tempted by a wood fired oven with a back boiler for radiators. See them advertised in Farmers Weekly.

4(T)

LE
I've only had a solid fuel one in my first home - a tiny Suffolk cottage.

It didn't seem to have much temperature control, so it routinely boiled the water in my hot water cylinder and food had to be flash-cooked. Sometimes the hot plate on top glowed red.

My house had no central heating, so it was either wearing just shreddies and suffering heat stroke when the Aga was on, or wearing winter parka and freezing in the mornings when the thing was stone cold.

Why are they trendy? Are wealthy surburbanites just complete idiots?

Is there anything on it you could hit with a hammer? Start with a small toffee hammer and work your way up to a 14 lb sledge.

Mick9abf

War Hero
Know nothing about Agas however had a similar issue with an oven and it was the fused socket to blame, might be worth checking it with a voltmeter if you have.

Thsi is why most people living in the boonies and using one of these have a gas hob fed by a propane bottle too.
Common sight in Argyll, red bottle or two for when the grid goes down. While it doesn't add to the beauty of the kitchen, a simple purchase from primes can be used now and again as a standby. The old enamel range from calor did the job be it oven model or two hobs n grill. My old man has a few left in his garage. They should work with a quick dust down.

Out kitchen is quite a weird layout and there isn’t anywhere to put a normal oven. Despite being a big room, there are doors in 3 of the 4 walls so space where you’d actually put something like that is limited.

Old house problems.

Nah not a whole cooker, just a four ring hob fitted in to one of the work surfaces
Really common when the range was wood/coal fired.

You think yours is bad, I once had a house heated by a solid fuel boiler fed with Alston anthracite
Once a year you had to chisel the clinker out which usually took a full day

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've only had a solid fuel one in my first home - a tiny Suffolk cottage.

It didn't seem to have much temperature control, so it routinely boiled the water in my hot water cylinder and food had to be flash-cooked. Sometimes the hot plate on top glowed red.

My house had no central heating, so it was either wearing just shreddies and suffering heat stroke when the Aga was on, or wearing winter parka and freezing in the mornings when the thing was stone cold.

Why are they trendy? Are wealthy surburbanites just complete idiots?
As I also found out -hence the excellent I gave you

In 1972, a dopey powerman was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he probably commited. This man promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the West Midlands underground. Today, still wanted by the government he survives as a retired sparks and peddlar of cold war dits. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him....maybe you can hire A-Signaller."

I think cookers have a separate 50a single fuse in the main fuse board.

Latest Threads