pictures of ammunition

Discussion in 'ACF' started by TurtleHead, Oct 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TurtleHead

TurtleHead Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Good Day to you all

Do any of you fine people have pictures of 5.56 ammunition?

Yes i am aware that google is my friend, however i wish to get correct up to date pictures of ball,blank,tracer and drill, unfortunately the pictures i have searched for are not suitable.

Any Help would be great,

Many Thanks
    Turtle

2. Go to your Quatermaster and take your own pictures? Or are the budget cuts in the cadets so bad you're putting together a history lesson?

FBG

3. TurtleHead

TurtleHead Old-Salt Book Reviewer

The budget cuts are so bad mate that i cant afford the camera to take the picture:nod:
    Turtle

4. I think it's probably less to do with budget cuts and more to do with your chances of finding tracer in a cadet armoury being about the same as your chances of finding rocking horse shit.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you can't find what you need on here then I really can't imagine what you need.

6. [​IMG]

Left to Right

5.56mm x 45 Ball M193 (Mod: 366) (Portugal)

5.56mm x 45 Ball M855 (Mod: 369) (Portugal)

5.56mm x45 Blank M200 (Portugal)

5.56mm x 45 Ball M16A1 (M855) (RSA)

5.56mm x 45 Tracer M2A5 (RSA)

5.56mm x 45 Armor-Piercing Tungsten-Core (Spain)

5.56mm x 45 Ball M193 (UK)

5.56mm x 45 Ball L2A2 (UK)

5.56mm x 45 ROTA Training Ammunition (UK)

5.56mm x 45 Tracer L1A2 (UK)

5.56mm x 45 Blank (L1A1) (UK)

5.56mm x 45 Dummy (UK)

Crop it down to the last 6 in photoshop / etc and bobs your uncle.

PS you were correct - that took me 10 seconds in google. Ah well.
    PPS: You probably don't need to teach the M193 as, AFAIK, it doesn't get used, due to doing really bad things to the people it hits. Me? I thought that was the point of a bullet, and a bit hypocritical for a nation that employs a belt fed grenade machine gun as one of it's arsenal. Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. What is the round in the training ammo made of. Never seen this before.

8. steel, apparently; due to a) being able to easily visually distinguish it from anything that goes bang, and b) the fact that it is designed for being loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded etc many many times during it's lifespan, where a live round should in theory only get loaded once before it makes it's way towards the target.

9. BuggerAll

I wanted to know what ROTA stands for. Unfortunately I Googled it and found ROTA's website. Don't bother it will just annoy you.

10. Ah. I thought maybe it was akin to the wooden rounds Russians use(d) to save quid on range days. Whats the difference between that and the dummy round? Has one replaced the other? Or is it procurement duplication? In the CF we only had dummy rounds to use for training.

11. BuggerAll

We used to use 'bulleted blank' on the Bren Gun when I was a cadet. It was a wooden round. Instead of a BFA the barrel had a shredder on the end that turned the round into splinters and sent them into the ground just in front of you.

12. Cool! When I was a cadet, all we got to fire was the FNC1 (which is awesome), most often with a subcal kit (which is not). I take it the idea for bulleted blank was to engage the gas piston the reset the bolt? Got any pics, merely for geeky anorak purposes?

13. A dummy round is completely inert and does nothing. I thought the name was enough to suggest that but evidently not.

Blank is no projectile but still goes bang, dummy is no projectile and no bang.

14. Good answer. BUT wrong ******* question! I guess the dummey round isn't the only "inert" thing on here.
    I asked the difference between bullets #9 and #12.
    Do try to keep up.

15. BuggerAll

No. When I was a cadet and young soldier few of us had cameras. in those days it wasn't felt necessary to take pictures of everything at every turn in order to validate our existence. We just got on with things.

• Like Like x 1