pictures and artsy looking things....

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by kay44, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did want to put a cool pic up, but i dont know how :?
    How do i lol?
  2. cool pic of an eagal. Just a thread to put weird, wonderfull and funny pics :)

Attached Files:

3. My favourite artist H R Giger

Attached Files:

4. Hunted for this thread as i'm in the process of buying new pics for a room in my house and came across an artist called Stephanie Bennett. So wonder if anyone else knew of any artists who's art was............a bit different.

Attached Files:

5. Bit of an odd thread but why not, as it was in article in Metro today iPhone art.

These 'mini-masterpieces' may look like oil paintings, but they have been created on a 3.5 inch iPhone screen.

6. Geiger's work is very macabre and among other things inspired Ridley Scott's sets in Alien. A forerunner of his whose work I enjoy is the illusional art of Maurits Escher. However, when it comes to a choice I love the Renaissance period artists. Modern art seldom does anything for me, though I try to keep an open mind.
  7. Kay - It is a cool pic.
    I just wish the eagle would move to my neighborhood. The feckin coyotes are everywhere now. Lots of neighbors have lost cats. One night on a walk I saw a coyote trotting down the street with a dead cat in it's mouth. I carry Mace (CS spray) when I walk. Used to carry a .45 1911 but mace is quieter and would not give the neighbors heart attacks.
  8. I do quite enjoy Escher's work, i love the way he plays with perception and the sparseness of colour.
  9. There was a german artist called Otto Dix, who's stuff is a different take on religious icons!
  10. Here's a few to be going on with:

Johnny Friedlander
    Horst Janseen
    Pierre Bonnard
    Georges Braque
    Marc Chagall
    Heinrich Vogeler
    Paula Modersohn-Becker
    Otto Modersohn
    Emil Nolde
    Otto Mueller
    Erst Ludwig Kirchner
    Karl Schmidt-Rotluff
    Erich Heckel
    Bruno Bruni
    Le Ba Dang
    Edvard Munch
    Egon Schiele
    Lyonel Feininger
    Bernard Buffett
    Franz Marc
    Oskar Kokoschka
    Arik Brauer
    Ernst Fuchs
    Friedensreich Hundertwasser
    Gustav Klimt

Have fun.

11. I am particularly fond of the Pre-Raphaelite movement.

If there was only one painting I could own it would be this:

12. msr

msr LE

Here is a great picture, sadly the internet does not do it justice:

Ivan Constantinovich Aivazovsky
    The Ninth Wave
  13. I like it. The ninth wave is supposed to always be the largest isn't it? Does it have any allegorical or political meaning beyond the maritime saying?
  14. Giegers stuff always gives me the creeps (but then thats why alien was so d@mn good!)

Eschers stuff blows my mind like his Impossible staircase...

and if that blows your mind, here it is in lego!

15. I find 20thC American lithographs fascinating, and the starkness of the black/white contrast (as well as the subject matter) would make some prints a good choice. Robert Riggs' "On the Ropes" is incredible as are "Panic" by John Ward McClellen and Spruance's "Fathers and Sons" (can't find images online).

Bettelheim's "Home Front":

Lozowick's "New York":