pics of pussers planks & trials skis in Norway please

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by utter_twat, Feb 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, am writing an article about military skiing, equipment & training.

Looking for some pictures of the pussers planks, their bindings and the new trial skis & their bindings.

Also any (skiing related) wisdom anyone has to offer about the snow shoes vs planks vs trial skis debate.

Cheers,

Twat

2. Snow shoes are crap for downhill.

3. 1. Don't eat yellow snow.
    2. Ask yourself, "Why did I post this in the TA forum?"

4. Oh shit, this is my first post - how do I post it to. . . wherever it needs to be?

Thanks for pointing that out Bravo_Bravo

5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

6. well it worked out OK, though...

7. Brotherton Lad - thanks but I'm afraid the link isn't working for me, can you paste into the post please?

8. Brotherton Lad

9. Nice pics - where where they taken?

I was really looking for some close-ups of the binding itself, something that demonstrates how it clamps onto the boot - same for the dreaded trials skis and the fish-scale bases they use

Cheers

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You may wish to bring this to the attention of some soldiers, or Royal Marines - the TA tend to do their skiing in St Anton via cheap Easyjet and coach trips.

Try posting in the Int Cell on ARRSE, and on Rum Ration where Royals occasionally hang out, the TA MOD can merge the ARRSE threads when he gets back from the frontline late Sunday evening.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brotherton Lad

Norway. 79 to 81. AMF(L) and Norwegian School of Winter Warfare.

The skis had an adjustable pair of metal jaws at the toe end. The boots had straight edges at the front to match. A coiled steel spring fitted around the boot heel in a groove and was clamped tight.

CIMG1288s.jpg

I'd have to go digging for better quality pictures, if I have any.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Brotherton, I don't often get all homesick for the Corps but after looking at images of Sittang camp and the phots you have just posted, I would do anything to join up again.

13. Brotherton Lad

A few more then.

CIMG1272.JPG CIMG1309.JPG CIMG1280e.jpg

14. Is that a cable round the heel with the square rubber toe in a clamp type of binding or something else?

I can't really tell from the phot

Looks like you've got wax on those skis - correct?

many thanks for sharing

Has anyone ever wondered why they make military ski boots in black? Its not as if they'll ever be used anywhere except where the predominant colour is white, or is that too obvious for our friends in procurement?