Pickles and Chutneys.

Do any of you make your own chutney or pickle? I’ve a good mango chutney recipe but what I miss and have failed to get good results with is a good piccalilli. Any suggestions?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Usually just wing it with whatever is cheap in the reduced section and then label it vaguely such as "chutney for cheese"
1593672598707343119981320507491.jpg

Last edited:
Do any of you make your own chutney or pickle? I’ve a good mango chutney recipe but what I miss and have failed to get good results with is a good piccalilli. Any suggestions?
Write to the WI for assistance.

Make apple & date chutney from bramley in garden, but thieving pikies (apology for tautology) had them away this year.

Known to be ggm's recipe - possibly beyond. She was in Bishopsbourne between 1850 & 1930.

I did think of doing piccalilli, as the chunks seems to be bigger than ever in commercial pots. This could be an easy start and act as a benchmark against future 'adventures'.

philc

LE
As and when we get a good harvest or pick up something cheap, 15 Kilos of Toms for a tenner the other day, so thats sugo being made today. Maybe next week if the price is the same then on to chutney.

Piccalilli, the key is mustard powder, good and strong.

The current mrs_mush made a big batch of chilli and tomato chutney, and chilli jam a few years ago. It was damn fine. Only just finished the last jar last year

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It matures wonderfully!
It will out mature you, when my Nana passed away there was a whole cupboard of jams and shit we threw away.

Her favorite was Damsen Jam, I don't even know what a Damsen is but assume it is some kind of poor persons hedgerow weed fruit the war made them eat.

A damson is a small variety of plum, sort of cherry sized. I have a tree at the back of my drive.
....and quite sour and unpalatable unless cooked, then it becomes delicious in jams and tarts.

....and quite sour and unpalatable unless cooked, then it becomes delicious in jams and tarts.
Not all damsons - some are surprisingly sweet. They make a good damson gin too.

There's some damson tress along the bank of the canal. They're on the off-side amongst all the brambles so they don't get picked by walkers. If you're in a boat however....... One of our volunteers picked a couple of buckets full last year and he's still got loads of damson jam to get rid of*** before the next pick. Not to mention the abundance of sloes as well.

*** as instructed by his missus.

There's some damson tress along the bank of the canal. They're on the off-side amongst all the brambles so they don't get picked by walkers. If you're in a boat however....... One of our volunteers picked a couple of buckets full last year and he's still got loads of damson jam to get rid of*** before the next pick. Not to mention the abundance of sloes as well.

*** as instructed by his missus.
In modern parlance, it's 'The full autistic spectrum'. My next cider is a Sloe, only 3litres but hope it speshul, and window-licking good.

Here endeth the cripple-kicking

- Top tips for making sure that all your pickled 'veg stay crunchy:

* Cut all your 'veg into more or less sized dice, throw in a lot of coarse see salt. Place on non absorbent surface and arrange the 'veg into long narrow columns, throw on even more salt. Elevate the board (or whatever you use) to the steepest possible angle and allow to drain for 24 Hrs.

Gather the veg in colander and rinse them through in cold running water 3 times.

Place the 'veg in thin layer on a clean tea towel, cover with a second towel and roll up lengthwise, roll the roll for about 4 mins using moderate pressure. Repeat using fresh tea towels until all the 'veg have been dried off .

* Add a thumb sized lump of Alum to the pickling liquid too. (Available from Flea Bay)

My next cider is a Sloe,
I have closed down my domestic sloe gin manufactory. Rhubarb rum was also big hit. This year is is goosegogs. Chutney already bottled and in a dark place to age and develop. Should be enough left in freezer and still to be picked for a couple of litres of gin.

Latest Threads