Picking Up The Brass

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Monday books, Jun 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick post for those who may not have followed the thread in the NAAFI bar: we are publishing a new and re-edited Picking Up The Brass (by ex Signallers and ARRSE members Charlie Bell and Ian Deacon) next month.
    It will be available from all the usual outlets, but we will also be offering a special deal for anyone who wants to purchase to send to any BFPO addresses - it will be something like 25% off and free postage (irrespective of whether it's a freepost BFPO or not). We're also hoping to tie up with H4H so that dosh from each sale goes to them.
    This is the first in what will be a trilogy, with the next volume in the Eddy Nugent opus, Eddy Nugent and the Map of Africa, out next spring.
    The new PUTB is edited and has a new cover featuring a sindly youth and Sgt Ken Barker, who may be known to some readers.
    The new cover is on the NAAFI bar thread for those who are interested.
    Thanks to Good and Bad Cos and Mr Happy for their support.
    Dan Collins
  2. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Has anyone heard from Ken Barker recently. He was one of the Corps big characters and has dissapeared of the radar. Any info would be appreciated.

P.S. Quality book extremely funny. The real story of the British Army.
  3. how edited is the new edition?

Have the first edition, funny as!!!
  4. IS Ski Geek - if you PM The Rigger, I'm sure he will be able to put you in touch with Ken.

Chocolate Frog - it's cut down in length and just generally tidied up a bit. Some of the cut material will make its way into the sequel, Eddy Nugent and the Map of Africa (out next spring).

6. hi mate ken barker here i am still on the radar how r u
  7. Hello Dan - any news on the next volume?
  8. Bloody hell, still alive? Wotcher Ken, we knew each other at X-Ray Tp, 14 Sigs, 16 million years ago.
  9. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Excellent book
  10. The part about looking in the battery shed in Belize cracks me up everytime. Eagerly await the second installment!
  11. I'm halfway through In Foreign Fields( a very good read I must add),but when I finished it I will certainly purchase Picking Up The Brass !
  12. Apologies for late reply Hairy Fairy - it should be out early this summer, but we'll obviously let people know on here.
    Convoy and Rigger have supplied the words and we should be working on it now, but another book has held us up so we're a little bit behind.
  13. Thanks Cloggie, much appreciated.
  14. I really enjoyed Picking Up The Brass. Brought back many happy and some not so happy memories of Harrogate. Can't wait for the next installment :)
  15. Fittingly, and due to the glue issues associated with that years long hot summer, my signed 1st edition is now held together with black nasty!