Picking battalion

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by c-90, Jun 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick query as the search function failed me.

Is it possible to pick regiment? Ie: if I wanted posted to NI could I pick 2 rifles or do they take a preference after cic and try to accommodate or not at all.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Only after Phase 1 and 2, you usually get posted to a unit or have the choice, also usually you will have rotation also so you get the chance to serve with different units preferbly in your battalion.

3. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Rotation refers to change in assignment and or location. It is usually used when people have to be sent to less then nice places, like the front lines, or to countries where they can't have their family with them. People are sent to these locations for certain periods of time, such as 18 months rather than a normal 2 year assignment Rotation refers to change in assignment and or location. It is usually used when people have to be sent to less then nice places, like the front lines, or to countries where they can't have their family with them. People are sent to these locations for certain periods of time, such as 18 months rather than a normal 2 year assignment.

4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there may be some crossed wires here.

c-90, I take it you're going Rifles yes? Signallers, I take it from your user name that you're from a certain corps yes?

Things can, and usually do work differently for corps trades and inf.

Anyway, back to the OP during phase 2 you should I believe get to fill out a form known as a PPP on which you can state a preference of what battalion you would like to join, and if there are no outstanding operational or training commitments etc. for the other battalions you should hopefully get your first choice, ie. 2 Rifles.

However at the end of the day you will be sent to where you are needed to fill any manning shortfall if needed.

There is still the option of moving between the battalions, but in my experience not nearly as much as within a corps, unless you put in another PPP after being there for a couple of years and you fancy a move or to try a different role.

5. As far as I am aware you can choose a battalion but you will get sent to where they need the numbers. I thought that battalions don't really move around any more as the guys I know in the rifles have been in the same places for years now.

pretty much what techno-spastic said.

6. In my opinion mate, if you go R Irish you're pretty much stuck with them as there is only one regular Bn. now I believe.

Support trades I wouldn't really be able to give much advice on, although there are plenty on here who can.

If you want to get a posting to NI for whatever reason, and you want to go infantry, then I would definitely say go Rifles, as even if you don't get your first posting to 2 Rifles, there is a good chance of being able to put in a PPP after a while at wherever else you may get sent to and be posted to them.