PIAT

Chef

LE
Don't. There is, to my knowledge only three short clips of me on youtube, so almost no one knows what I look like. If it makes you feel any better I have three cats?
Anyone with in depth knowledge of interesting weapons and cats is ok in my book:)

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you on this thread. While doing up the Power point presentation for the talks, this thread has made my job about 6,000 times easier.

Granted this is my first time for this sort of thing, and the first run went over the time limit by ten minutes, and I missed out a load of stuff I'd wanted to include. There's just so much to cover!

Video on the talk:

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you on this thread. While doing up the Power point presentation for the talks, this thread has made my job about 6,000 times easier.

Granted this is my first time for this sort of thing, and the first run went over the time limit by ten minutes, and I missed out a load of stuff I'd wanted to include. There's just so much to cover!

Video on the talk:

Well balls.

I've just been notified that War & Peace 2021 has been cancelled. Which of course means the talk venue has gone the same way. I mean theoretically I could stand in a field and shout really loudly about spigot weapons, but it might lack a certain something, such as power point (and I've spent the last two weeks whittling my 600 slide extravaganza down).

I may look at doing something online though. Let me have a consider.

ugly

LE
LOL so its not the total apathy to my work that's limiting viewing numbers :p
Nope it’s something that’s causing other associations and clubs problems with over subscriptions

Well balls.

I've just been notified that War & Peace 2021 has been cancelled. Which of course means the talk venue has gone the same way. I mean theoretically I could stand in a field and shout really loudly about spigot weapons, but it might lack a certain something, such as power point (and I've spent the last two weeks whittling my 600 slide extravaganza down).

You just need to projector your voice.

Well balls.

Get someone who has a relevant Youtube channel to give you an invite to do it on his channel. Using someone else's channel gives you a pre-made audience rather than shouting out into the void. Someone with a tank related Youtube channel might be a good target. If that doesn't work, then a shooting related channel might hit a lot of the same demographics.

If you go this route, get some advice on things like microphones and and how to set up a recording space so you don't get a lot of echoes. Getting reasonably good audio makes a huge difference to how well the audience can follow along with what you are saying. The slides can be shown as the video component rather than just looking at your face for however long it takes. I'm assuming you've got the correct licensing on any photos to do that.

If you've got more than a half hour of presentation, look at how to break it into multiple segments later rather than trying to fit everything all in one. The guy who owns the channel would be doing the editing, but you may need to think of how to provide natural break points of a length that doesn't exceed the attention span of your audience.

Don't forget you will need to plug your book, so have a copy on hand to show along with information on where and when the audience can order it.

You will want to get on this ASAP while there are still lots of lockdown restrictions in effect. A lot of Youtubers are looking for content that they can do without having to travel. If you put it off too long then they'll all be out recording the content they had planned on doing before lockdown put everyone's plans on hold.

I think you may be limited on participant numbers but a you tube presentation may work

Bloke on the Range guest spot? Subject to his approvals, etc, etc, etc. A guaranteed audience that way.

Sort of beaten to it by @terminal

You just need to projector your voice.
Ahem... to Quote the Ordnance board in a very tart letter (Words to the effect of):
'There are three types of Ordnance, Guns, Howitzers and mortars. To allow every inventor to invent new types would lead to a plethora in a very short time!'

Get someone who has a relevant Youtube channel to give you an invite to do it on his channel. Using someone else's channel gives you a pre-made audience rather than shouting out into the void. Someone with a tank related Youtube channel might be a good target. If that doesn't work, then a shooting related channel might hit a lot of the same demographics.

If you go this route, get some advice on things like microphones and and how to set up a recording space so you don't get a lot of echoes. Getting reasonably good audio makes a huge difference to how well the audience can follow along with what you are saying. The slides can be shown as the video component rather than just looking at your face for however long it takes. I'm assuming you've got the correct licensing on any photos to do that.

If you've got more than a half hour of presentation, look at how to break it into multiple segments later rather than trying to fit everything all in one. The guy who owns the channel would be doing the editing, but you may need to think of how to provide natural break points of a length that doesn't exceed the attention span of your audience.

Don't forget you will need to plug your book, so have a copy on hand to show along with information on where and when the audience can order it.

You will want to get on this ASAP while there are still lots of lockdown restrictions in effect. A lot of Youtubers are looking for content that they can do without having to travel. If you put it off too long then they'll all be out recording the content they had planned on doing before lockdown put everyone's plans on hold.

Thanks for the Advice (you too @Effendi ). I started chasing a potential idea I had yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

If it all goes to rats, at the very least I'll do a Q&A over some platform or other.

(...) If it all goes to rats, at the very least I'll do a Q&A over some platform or other.
Doing a Q&A on someone's channel can be good. It gives you lots of chances to say things like "I cover the answer to that in more detail in my book, but the short answer is ... ".

Getting invited onto Youtube channels is the modern equivalent to the TV interview and book signing circuit for authors. Running your own social media machine and building up an audience can be a lot of work, so it's much less effort to get invited onto someone else's.

Doing a Q&A on someone's channel can be good. It gives you lots of chances to say things like "I cover the answer to that in more detail in my book, but the short answer is ... ".

Getting invited onto Youtube channels is the modern equivalent to the TV interview and book signing circuit for authors. Running your own social media machine and building up an audience can be a lot of work, so it's much less effort to get invited onto someone else's.
I don't have the answer to that question right now. I will find out and get back to you.

Thing is, you have to stand out to the other channels to get the interviews. Despite having a name for myself on here I'm actually not that well known.

I am trying to get my publisher to get me into a few selected shows though, as while it's easier to ignore a private individual, its a damn sight harder to ignore when Pen & Sword come knocking through official company channels.

Thing is, you have to stand out to the other channels to get the interviews. Despite having a name for myself on here I'm actually not that well known.

I am trying to get my publisher to get me into a few selected shows though, as while it's easier to ignore a private individual, its a damn sight harder to ignore when Pen & Sword come knocking through official company channels.
Regardless of whether or not you can find a Youtube channel to appear as a guest on, you should be sure to send out review copies of your book to them. It may take months for them to get around to looking at it, but it's a good way to get exposure to the right sort of audience.

Latest Threads