Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT

Look what turned up in the post today!
20210120_151216.jpg

I was wondering who snaffled the others! Now you can do a 1942 PIAT gunner!

(There's still 4 of the Mk.II's left BTW)
I got a spare Mk2 donkeys years ago. The Mk1 looks original, if it isn't someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble for not a lot of money.

I got a spare Mk2 donkeys years ago. The Mk1 looks original, if it isn't someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble for not a lot of money.

That was my assessment as well. And boy did I check as much as I could to make sure it wasn't a fake.

Remember only <800 of those were ever constructed. It's amazing any survived. I do like that there's a little nodule on the inside of the clip to keep it attached firmly to the gun.

That was my assessment as well. And boy did I check as much as I could to make sure it wasn't a fake.

Remember only <800 of those were ever constructed. It's amazing any survived. I do like that there's a little nodule on the inside of the clip to keep it attached firmly to the gun.
Any idea where the guy got them from??

It's just strange that, as you know, there has been bugger all PIAT stuff around for ages then these turn up. Not that I'm complaining, been after the early support to convert one of mine to a Mk1. I'm a happy chappie for sure!

It's just strange that, as you know, there has been bugger all PIAT stuff around for ages then these turn up. Not that I'm complaining, been after the early support to convert one of mine to a Mk1. I'm a happy chappie for sure!

[pedent mode on]
There was no Mk variance between PIATs. Well the change in mono-pod didn't create a change. I suspect that it was due to mono-pod being entirely detachable, so the gun itself didn't get a change of designation.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
[pedent mode on]
There was no Mk variance between PIATs. Well the change in mono-pod didn't create a change. I suspect that it was due to mono-pod being entirely detachable, so the gun itself didn't get a change of designation.
Ahem... Pedant.

Happy to help, no thanks necessary, correct spelling is its own reward, etc.

Fake stuff usually is given away by using modern methods to construct, the welds won't be the same, different tool marks, the metal stock will be metric etc. It's very time consuming ( and expensive ) to copy a 1940's bit of kit exactly now all the original machinery and jigs are gone.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
Fake stuff usually is given away by using modern methods to construct, the welds won't be the same, different tool marks, the stock will be metric etc. It's very time consuming ( and expensive ) to copy a 1940's bit of kit exactly now all the original machinery and jigs are gone.
A few years back I had a Dodge WC52, one of the weldings that held the body to the chassis I took it to Dallas Autos who repaired it. The original weld was a big splodge of metal that did the job for over 50 years. The fresh weld was neat, tidy and very nicely finished, as one would expect from someone with a bit of time on their hands rather than a wartime worker getting as many done as possible.

I'm sure forgers aren't that obvious but it wouldn't surprise me.

A few years back I had a Dodge WC52, one of the weldings that held the body to the chassis I took it to Dallas Autos who repaired it. The original weld was a big splodge of metal that did the job for over 50 years. The fresh weld was neat, tidy and very nicely finished, as one would expect from someone with a bit of time on their hands rather than a wartime worker getting as many done as possible.

I'm sure forgers aren't that obvious but it wouldn't surprise me.
Nice Beep!!!

Chef

LE
Nice Beep!!!
It was quite nice playing Crocodile Dundee with modern four wheel drive Beemers and the like:

'That's not a 4x4 this is.'

Argue with Volvos and win:)

A few years back I had a Dodge WC52, one of the weldings that held the body to the chassis I took it to Dallas Autos who repaired it. The original weld was a big splodge of metal that did the job for over 50 years. The fresh weld was neat, tidy and very nicely finished, as one would expect from someone with a bit of time on their hands
And with a MIG/TIG welder available.

It was quite nice playing Crocodile Dundee with modern four wheel drive Beemers and the like:

'That's not a 4x4 this is.'

Argue with Volvos and win:)
Always fancied a Volvo Sugga, but they make good money now.

Well, its appeared on the P&S site:

Note: There's a damn sight more than 60 pictures in there! It's more like 100!

@Auld-Yin One for you to request, then fend off the hundreds of people who have claimed bagsy for the review.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
It's unfortunate but every time the name crops up I have visions of the books being written on a vast spaceship by a dreadlocked scouser watched by a cat, a hologram and a slightly batty robot.

I apologise.

It's unfortunate but every time the name crops up I have visions of the books being written on a vast spaceship by a dreadlocked scouser watched by a cat, a hologram and a slightly batty robot.

I apologise.

Don't. There is, to my knowledge only three short clips of me on youtube, so almost no one knows what I look like. If it makes you feel any better I have three cats?

Latest Threads