Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT

Londo

LE
I remember that. I think there was another one, at least.

"Untrained idiots and psychopaths..."
Not sure it's the same incident , seem to remember more than two Brits murdered .
Could be wrong though .

The thing that always worries me is the difference between grenades that need a ballistite cartridge and bullet-trap/bullet through grenades.

I’m mindful here of the way that we trained on our own stuff (pre GW1 at least) and didn’t know much about other people’s kit.

There was an ex AT on the post gulf RO contract that lost fingers because he pulled the pin on a soviet instantaneous grenade fuze (they were pulling the pins and bunging them because it was the end of the day etc...).

I could easily imagine a scenario (not saying it happened here) where a lad who’s only been trained on a bullet-trap grenade comes a cropper when getting his hands on a ballistite grenade. Such things must be a real risk when living in UOR land...
There was an ex-Sapper officer who very seriously injured himself using "imaginative" disposal methods involving IIRC a tine of petrol. You probably know who I am talking about. I booted his arrse when I was SATO FI for some seriously stupid behaviour. And this is isn't an ATO - Sapper punch up as I know at least 2 ATO's who were seriously stupid down there,

There was an ex-Sapper officer who very seriously injured himself using "imaginative" disposal methods involving IIRC a tine of petrol. You probably know who I am talking about. I booted his arrse when I was SATO FI for some seriously stupid behaviour. And this is isn't an ATO - Sapper punch up as I know at least 2 ATO's who were seriously stupid down there,

I know of a sapper SSgt who lost his arm down there burning spare PE on a dems site, about 83/84.

Up until that time burning PE was something combat engineers were actually taught to do. God help us.

The incident you mention doesn’t wring any bells, but perhaps that’s a discussion for a PM?

The other main sapper-related explosive incidents in my time were:

(1) the Sapper captain who managed to blind himself at our Training Regiments by carrying out a burn test of safety fuse on a six-foot table next to an open tin of No 27 detonators which in those days (mid 80s) were still -like 808 - occasionally turning up in training stores;

(2) the terrible accident involving a troop from 73 squadron doing batsims for a staff college demo in Germany (1985 I think), with some horrific injuries to several guys from burning det cord; and

(3) the young lad (I think a lance-jack) setting up batsims in BATUS who was killed in an incident involving a ripple switch. In 1983 IIRC.

Oh and as I’ve said elsewhere, I blew up Jim Davidson on a batsim in Berlin, but (unfortunately) no lasting damage was done :)

Looking back, I think our problem as combat engineers was we didn’t know what we didn’t know. I learned a lot from the ATO in Berlin and I was more than a little surprised when I reported for ‘re-education’ on my EOD course...

XPara Mugg

War Hero

I resent that.

My soldiers were mostly: Highly trained idiots and psychopaths.

It's what we wanted.;)

You really wouldn't have wanted to fight them.:eek:

XPara Mugg

War Hero
Thanks for that. Just recently re-read GMF's Quartered Safe Out Here, and of course he fires the PIAT in the final chapters, going into depth re the experience of cocking it. Great to get a visual.
At the risk of a wah, you do realise that video is entirely wrong?

Thanks for that. Just recently re-read GMF's Quartered Safe Out Here, and of course he fires the PIAT in the final chapters, going into depth re the experience of cocking it. Great to get a visual.
The front wheel skid had it wrong (as pointed out by others, over a decade ago, on that same page)

Being backblast-free, it never needed to be an 'over the shoulder' weapon.

Rather, having cocked it as shown, you'd push the the shoulder pad assembly back in to the body of the weapon (like a plunger into a syringe) and get yerself down behind the weapon, with the shoulder pad lodged firmly (but somehow unsurprisingly) in the shoulder.

Fvck nose how things would play out if you tried to fire the fecker as shown by the Red Sea Pedestrian.

Heartbreaklane

War Hero
No, I hadn't read the tread. Have now. That'll learn me.

Latest Threads