PIAT

Hehehe...

Bazooka "Can't hit the broadside of a M3 Lee!"

However, that is possibly down to the Bazooka being fired at 70 yards, not the PIAT's 50 yards. There again the Bazooka had a longer range than the PIAT, by quite a bit.

But what is interesting is the lack of effect the Bazooka did have when it hit when compared to the PIAT. There again we've got nearly an extra inch of calibre.

Hehehe...

However, that is possibly down to the Bazooka being fired at 70 yards, not the PIAT's 50 yards. There again the Bazooka had a longer range than the PIAT, by quite a bit.

But what is interesting is the lack of effect the Bazooka did have when it hit when compared to the PIAT. There again we've got nearly an extra inch of calibre.
Reminds me of an experiment I did in Berlin, with MILAN simulators, engaging turreted 432 (somewhat higher profile than any Sov IFV) at ranges and speeds typical for street-level engagements in our Bn AO (in the red light district, Charlottenburg :-D ) and demonstrating that - since the missile was always launched high, and had to travel some 300(?) metres before being steerable by the firer, you had to aim at - or below - the bottom of the road wheels to have any chance of a hit firing from closer ranges than when the missile had been 'gathered' to fly LOS :-D

Reminds me of an experiment I did in Berlin, with MILAN simulators, engaging turreted 432 (somewhat higher profile than any Sov IFV) at ranges and speeds typical for street-level engagements in our Bn AO (in the red light district, Charlottenburg :-D ) and demonstrating that - since the missile was always launched high, and had to travel some 300(?) metres before being steerable by the firer, you had to aim at - or below - the bottom of the road wheels to have any chance of a hit firing from closer ranges than when the missile had been 'gathered' to fly LOS :-D
Isn't that why the WOMBAT hung around in the Berlin Brigade? Much easier to mallet a Soviet AFV with it, plus if need be you can give the good news to a house.

Also, think back to the poor sods who were going to be manning Orange William.
First you needed a cart to move the fire control kit. Then you needed two operators. One to aim at the missile and give it commands via an IR beam (sooo an oversized TV remote?). Then you needed the bloke to actually aim at the target, and steer the missile.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Isn't that why the WOMBAT hung around in the Berlin Brigade? Much easier to mallet a Soviet AFV with it, plus if need be you can give the good news to a house.

Also, think back to the poor sods who were going to be manning Orange William.
First you needed a cart to move the fire control kit. Then you needed two operators. One to aim at the missile and give it commands via an IR beam (sooo an oversized TV remote?). Then you needed the bloke to actually aim at the target, and steer the missile.
ISTR from a Jane’s review some decades back that the recommendation for a Battalion in Fibua was an extra AT platoon attached, raising the Wombat complement to 12.

:boogie:

I don't doubt you are correct: I had 6 of each in Berlin (actually had to go back to Netheravon to get my 120mm safety quals, because I'd qualified originally on MILAN in BAOR, before doing 18 months in NI (where we had CONBAT gathering dust in a garage), before tootling off the fleshpots and hedonism of 2 yrs in Freies Berlin :thumleft:

Hehehe...

Did they ever do a comparison with the panzerfaust ?

Not a brilliant image but it is of German-Jewish members of the Palmach, Israel June or July 1945. Posted for completeness.
P_154307_0.jpg

Source: תמונה

Also @Listy is this snippet from this site:

(via auto-translate, so some caution needed I guess)

'In the summer of 1947, its own production of "PIAT" was established in Israel.'

I haven't seen read this anywhere else. Is this something you've ever seen mentioned?

Chef

LE
Not a brilliant image but it is of German-Jewish members of the Palmach, Israel June or July 1945. Posted for completeness.

'In the summer of 1947, its own production of "PIAT" was established in Israel.'

I haven't seen read this anywhere else. Is this something you've ever seen mentioned?
I don't know about that but do recall that at the National Army Museum we had a PIAT that allegedly came from Israel,

The article was interesting I particularly like the anti tank horse:

Good luck trying that with a live horse. Jumpy beggars.

daz

LE
And this photo from Reddit which is captioned ' 'Viet Minh Soldier with PIAT'. I have asked that Op for his source as reverse image search found nowt. The Redditor seems mainly to post Vietnamese content.

9ql6t5x01q151.jpg

Londo

LE
View attachment 480636

Remember being on a visit to kibbutz Yad Mordachia which during the war of Independence was over run by the Egyptians after quite a battle and there is a recreation of the defensive positions . One of which has a Piat . As to this being home produced or imported I cannot say .
There was a very good website about this battle including pics of the piat but it seems to be down at the moment .

Remember being on a visit to kibbutz Yad Mordachia which during the war of Independence was over run by the Egyptians after quite a battle and there is a recreation of the defensive positions . One of which has a Piat . As to this being home produced or imported I cannot say .
There was a very good website about this battle including pics of the piat but it seems to be down at the moment .
That's a real shame.
For (I suppose obvious) reasons a lot of the Israeli material is in Hebrew and it is hard to translate and even to spot individual words in. There must be a lot of historical information that we can't access.
Looking at what I can see of the history of the War of Independence, some of the Jewish settlements had a very hard time.

Londo

LE
That's a real shame.
For (I suppose obvious) reasons a lot of the Israeli material is in Hebrew and it is hard to translate and even to spot individual words in. There must be a lot of historical information that we can't access.
Looking at what I can see of the history of the War of Independence, some of the Jewish settlements had a very hard time.
Yes ,that kibbutz held off the Egyptian army for six days . Might be worth a google or google images for more information . It's a long time since my visit .

View attachment 480636

Never seen any mention of out of UK production.

And this photo from Reddit which is captioned ' 'Viet Minh Soldier with PIAT'. I have asked that Op for his source as reverse image search found nowt. The Redditor seems mainly to post Vietnamese content.

View attachment 480916
Christ, that's huge. If you can find out where I can licence a copy of that picture, we can still make it into the book.

Yeah they had a single PIAT. The MKVIB rolled up to the outskirts of the village, and sat there. The PIAT Kept missing, but the repeated explosions convinced the crew to advance, where upon it got disabled by a home made explosive bundle, and was captured afterwards.
It still survives and has caused one hell of a controversy amongst tank historians.
When she was captured:

Today:

Never seen any mention of out of UK production.

Christ, that's huge. If you can find out where I can licence a copy of that picture, we can still make it into the book.

Yeah they had a single PIAT. The MKVIB rolled up to the outskirts of the village, and sat there. The PIAT Kept missing, but the repeated explosions convinced the crew to advance, where upon it got disabled by a home made explosive bundle, and was captured afterwards.
It still survives and has caused one hell of a controversy amongst tank historians.
When she was captured:

Today:
I've asked the Reddit OP where he got the image from - the border makes it look like a book or perhaps a screen cap. I'll let you know if I hear back from the chap.

Tyk

LE

View attachment 480916
Is there any chance the weapon made it there via a circuitous route starting in Canada who supplied small arms to the Nationalist Chinese and they were showing up in Korea and Vietnam after being captured on Nationalist surrender? I have no idea if the Canadians supplied PIAT along with the Stens and Brens etc.

Is there any chance the weapon made it there via a circuitous route starting in Canada who supplied small arms to the Nationalist Chinese and they were showing up in Korea and Vietnam after being captured on Nationalist surrender? I have no idea if the Canadians supplied PIAT along with the Stens and Brens etc.
With the caveat that I am not an expert on this matter, I think the most probable routes into Indochina were weapons drops to the French prior to the Japanese take-over in 1945, or weapons captured from the French in the French Indochina war. PIAT were used by the French in the defence of outposts, and as armament of riverine craft. The French lost a lot of equipment to captures.
The Canada/Nationalist China route is not impossible though.

Chef

LE
What is the controversy about?

Latest Threads