PIAT

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Tried that, there was very limited effect. I did do a small segment with a wire brush, and it seemed to everything a bit khaki in colour.
Okay, try with a soft wire brush ( copper/ brass etc) and a light penetrative oil, take it very slowly to prevent damaging fragile rusted remnants.

Hot citric acid bath is the dogs bolloux for de rusting , without using any dangerous chemicals , electrocuting yourself or burning the shed down.

Its way better than any of the products you can buy off the shelf.

JackSofty

War Hero
Dilute phosphoric acid is what I use for sword blades (including those that, when I wasn't the cripple that I am now for my competition & club fencing blades).

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
How about a preparation such as Evaporust?
The trouble with things which are very corroded is that the gunk can easily remove all rust to the point that there’s nothing left to hold the remains together. It can also attack healthy metal if left on too long. Years ago I remember inspecting a gpmg breech block which some brave soul had left caked in Jenolite too long; the bolt face was badly pitted and the link rivets were virtually non existent.....

Cleaning off corroded aluminium parts in caustic soda works well.

Provided you don't forget its in there because the next morning when you remember your Lister LPW3 fuel lift pump has dissolved and is now soup .

Cleaning off corroded aluminium parts in caustic soda works well.

Provided you don't forget its in there because the next morning when you remember your Lister LPW3 fuel lift pump has dissolved and is now soup .
You won't be doing that again, then . . .

Unremarkable

War Hero
I shall bear all this in mind should I try some restoration.
When I cleaned my Great Uncle's bayonet (brought back from his Great War service in France) I did it manually. Lots of iron compounds which smelled rather organic...

I shall bear all this in mind should I try some restoration.
When I cleaned my Great Uncle's bayonet (brought back from his Great War service in France) I did it manually. Lots of iron compounds which smelled rather organic...
You " manually cleaned your uncles bayonet " ?

Did you have to do this in the dark, use a special " polish " and were told never to tell anyone ?

Unremarkable

War Hero
You " manually cleaned your uncles bayonet " ?

Did you have to do this in the dark, use a special " polish " and were told never to tell anyone ?
Great Uncle Isaac. Died before I was born; when he died, he was laid out in the front room as per Welsh custom of the time, farting continuously for three whole days. I am said to take after him. I polished the bayonet in bright light and with great pride.

A lot earlier I know but watching the medical scene in this (about 9:48 ) shows quite starkly the difference between what was considered normal only a short time ago and this millennium:

And now (39 mins) for a party political broadcast by the Labour Party.

For those of you who care, and just to bump this bloody useful thread.
I've just finished putting the last touches to the spigot book, now all I need is my co-authors work and off we go. For those interested I started writing on January the 16th last year.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
For those of you who care, and just to bump this bloody useful thread.
I've just finished putting the last touches to the spigot book, now all I need is my co-authors work and off we go. For those interested I started writing on January the 16th last year.
Looking forward to it when it appears. Thanks for the heads-up.

Latest Threads