PIAT

My answer would be "in theory, based on relative strengths, and assuming we mastered manoeuvre warfare: Yes"

But we never did master manoeuvre warfare. Instead, continuing the theme of fighting different wars, we defeated their style of warfare-by-small-fast-elites by deploying warfare-by-massively-industrialised-economies.

And don't forget that the bulk of the Jerry forces were stuck with (what I have seen recently characterised HERE as) Pferdekrieg - horse-drawn warfare.

Versus General Motors et al?

Madness.
Funnily enough, in a fit of bloody mindedness at the local know-it-all I set down to prove that a lot could be done with horses and carts. After all, the Franco - Prussian war saw their use in logistics, as did WW1.

It did rather depend on
1 command of the air
2 established trains and railway lines
3 sufficient horses and forage
4 not used for heavy loads
5 A rate of advance of 10 miles a day.

The trains moved stuff as close as possible, the horses moved it to local dumps closer the front

The question of why you'd choose it is another matter. It only just beats carting it around yourself. It is of course, totally impractical for anything heavy like a 155mm howitzer or tank.

Funnily enough, in a fit of bloody mindedness at the local know-it-all I set down to prove that a lot could be done with horses and carts. After all, the Franco - Prussian war saw their use in logistics, as did WW1.

It did rather depend on
1 command of the air

The trains moved stuff as close as possible, the horses moved it to local dumps closer the front

The question of why you'd choose it is another matter. It only just beats carting it around yourself. It is of course, totally impractical for anything heavy like a 155mm howitzer or tank.
Dip into "10 Myths" on that Scribd link I posted upthread, and you'll get a good sense of the desperate lengths Das Heer units would go to by June 1944, to have some kind - any kind - of motorised transport, so I'd say they weren't convinced :-D

Dip into "10 Myths" on that Scribd link I posted upthread, and you'll get a good sense of the desperate lengths Das Heer units would go to by June 1944, to have some kind - any kind - of motorised transport, so I'd say they weren't convinced :-D
Oh it's bonkers all right. But look what they did with it up to '44.

Oh it's bonkers all right. But look what they did with it up to '44.
At best, I'd modify that statement to read "up to November '42", at which point what they were doing mostly was getting beat.

Doff my hat to them for the fact that they took their time getting beat, given the odds, but even so. . . . .

It did rather depend on
1 command of the air

The Germans were largely limited to coal as fuel, with very limited amounts of oil available. This meant that logistics had to be closely tied to railways.

British logistics on the other hand was closely tied to sea transport, which had almost unlimited capacity compared to railways. This is what made going head to head against the Germans in North Africa practical when Britain could not venture onto the mainland of Europe.

A major thing to note in late WWII after the invasion of Europe and the drive north and east was the logistical problems of the Allies while the Germans held out in Rotterdam and the Scheldt estuary. Motor transport was better than horses, but it still wasn't a substitute for railways and sea transport.

HE117

LE

HE117

LE
Why? I'm an archer... we have views on the French.
Nothing toxolophical..
I was thinking of Boulanger and the Lebel.. "Blackpowder to Nitro in six months.. Go!" (or should that be Aller!)

@Stonker many thanks! Some good stuff. The meat balls look OK too....

HE117

LE
I fear this is some ATO humour or some such which goes sailing over my head.
The main reason for the French getting landed with such a bonkers rifle round (8x50 Lebel) was that Gen Boulanger, who was minister for war, stamped his little foot and demanded in 1885 that the Lebel was developed and fielded in six months..

All they could do was to bodge the Gras round and ended up with the most tapered round in history.. and that the French could not get rid off for forty odd years, and was the reason for the banana mag on the Chauchat and the metal strip mags on the Hotchkiss...

Tee hee!

The main reason for the French getting landed with such a bonkers rifle round (8x50 Lebel) was that Gen Boulanger, who was minister for war, stamped his little foot and demanded in 1885 that the Lebel was developed and fielded in six months..

All they could do was to bodge the Gras round and ended up with the most tapered round in history.. and that the French could not get rid off for forty odd years, and was the reason for the banana mag on the Chauchat and the metal strip mags on the Hotchkiss...

Tee hee!
Ahhh, thank you.
I wanted to give both a funny and an informative.

@QRK2 many thanks for the video, I'll go along with all he says.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
But for the full look, you'll need to put on about 8 stones of lard.
Nah.

Not for conformity with the times when that uniform was issued to CCFs.

Rationing only ended 2yrs before I was born, and Ronald McDonald didn't make obesity mandatory in UK until I was over 40 by which time Di Spencer was feeding Wills and Harry at the golden arches, so bony fvckers like @stoatman were commonplace (astonishingly, regarded as sexy, even) until long after DPM landed in the Cadet Force universe.

Last edited:

Latest Threads