PIAT

1585406755034.png

Pte. Mills of the 2nd Battalion, Gloucester Regiment (56th Infantry Brigade, 49th Infantry Division) with his PIAT at Druten, Netherlands, SW of Nijmegen, 6 March 1945.

View attachment 460603

Pte. Mills of the 2nd Battalion, Gloucester Regiment (56th Infantry Brigade, 49th Infantry Division) with his PIAT at Druten, Netherlands, SW of Nijmegen, 6 March 1945.
You have to hand it to the stylists who designed the Brit uniform.

Hugo Boss would never have thought to dress his troops like bin men, to complement so nicely a weapon that looked like it was cobbled together by an ingenious skip-diver.

Last edited:
View attachment 460603

On a more positive note, I believe the model himself lived to see VE Day. CWGC war dead records show only one Pte Mills of 2 Gloucesters, but he died 2 days after that pic was taken, and now lies in Berlin, which very likely would mean the deceased was a PoW at time of demise.

Last edited:

HE117

LE

Hugo Boss would never have thought to dress his troops like bin men, to complement so nicely a weapon that looked like it was cobbled together by an ingenious skip-diver.
Don't knock the old BD and jerkin..! It may look odd to the modern viewer, but the high waisted trousers and short blouse is not a bad combination when combined with the webbing of the day. BD was made in wool, which although itchy, has the benefit of retaining a lot of its insulating properties when wet.. Ask @stoatman, I think he did some trials on it!

The blouse top look was all the rage in the 30s and was worn by both sides. The Panzer uniform was basically the same in black..

The leather jerkin was another, much valued gizzit which was extremely hard wearing and kept out the wind. It was particularly good for carrying stuff over your shoulder as it was slightly padded and did not catch on stuff. I had a stash of them for issue to folk working in Depot 90 and they had to be counted out and in!

Don't knock the old BD and jerkin..
I have coveted the jerkin since CCF days, when one of the lads in the year above me had one :)

It was the self-same style, I am pretty sure, that saw Tommies through the cold and wet to victory in the latter part of the 14-18 war.

It's the garment of the simple warrior for the working day: 'Enery the Fifth had archers similarly clad, I don't doubt.

But Hugo Boss it definitely ain't :thumleft:

Don't knock the old BD and jerkin..! It may look odd to the modern viewer, but the high waisted trousers and short blouse is not a bad combination when combined with the webbing of the day. BD was made in wool, which although itchy, has the benefit of retaining a lot of its insulating properties when wet.. Ask @stoatman, I think he did some trials on it!

The blouse top look was all the rage in the 30s and was worn by both sides. The Panzer uniform was basically the same in black..

The leather jerkin was another, much valued gizzit which was extremely hard wearing and kept out the wind. It was particularly good for carrying stuff over your shoulder as it was slightly padded and did not catch on stuff. I had a stash of them for issue to folk working in Depot 90 and they had to be counted out and in!
Can confirm - not only is wool great (unless you're sensitive to it, as many people are), but the cut on BD is actually very practical and comfortable. It was a real surprise to me, cos I expected it to be awful. You've actually got a lot of freedom of movement.

There's a good reason why that cut was copied by both the Americans and the Germans (who captured so much BD in France in 1940 that they actually issued it to U-boat crews IIRC).

Can confirm - not only is wool great (unless you're sensitive to it, as many people are), but the cut on BD is actually very practical and comfortable. It was a real surprise to me, cos I expected it to be awful. You've actually got a lot of freedom of movement.

There's a good reason why that cut was copied by both the Americans and the Germans (who captured so much BD in France in 1940 that they actually issued it to U-boat crews IIRC).
........I'm sensitive :-(

I did see your run-n-gun video wearing the stuff. Were you in an 80 year old set that fitted, or a modern reproduction? If the latter, who made / sold it?
(if you don't mind saying, please)

I did see your run-n-gun video wearing the stuff. Were you in an 80 year old set that fitted, or a modern reproduction? If the latter, who made / sold it?
(if you don't mind saying, please)
That's repro, bought from Epic Militaria.

I did Finnish Brutality 2019 in original 49-patt BD though. Here's the gear discussion video, you can find the playlist wth all the other vids easily (I think it's linked in the description or at the end)

Yet another reason the Germans lose at war....

Oi! I resemble that remark! :D
Indeed.

No offence intended, but you seem to have what I have heard squaddies describe as "an officer's body" :-D

So, that's all right then.

Perhaps you should sew a set of Captain's pips on the epaulettes for total authenticity :thumleft:

Last edited:

Scruffy as a mongrel and hardier than the pure bred, just about sums it really.

Latest Threads