PIAT

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I've seen the same video on Youtube can't remember the title. It did point out that the Pz IV could be mistaken for something bigger but further away (thanks Dougal) in the heat of battle.

Similar to the Spitfire syndrome exhibited by the Germans during the Battle of Britain.
Human nature, a mix of naming fears and a snobbish wish not be beaten by second rate foes.

Soooo an Infantry tank doctrine?
The Germans looked at things slightly differently than the UK did, so it wasn't quite the same thing as a British "Infantry Tank". The end result was similar however, a tank with very heavy armour and limited mobility. The Soviets called theirs "break-through tanks", which I think encapsulates the idea quite well.

The German and Soviet doctrine on heavy tanks seems to have been very similar. This may have been due to their joint cooperation on tank development during the days of the Weimar Republic when the Germans were testing their tanks in the Soviet Union out of sight of the Versailles Treaty control commission.

A PIAT related figure found in "Armement clandestin, France 1941-1944", a guide to Résistance weapons and radio equipment published in 1972.

According to the author, Pierre Lorain, a noted historian of the Résistance, a total of 1,206 PIAT, each with 20 rounds, were dropped to French Résisatnce movements during the war.

I recall a couple of PIAT round boxes found behind a bus stop in the UK about two/three years ago.
looking in a pretty bad state.

Yes, and its a pile of excrement and should be watched with the sound off. About the only thing he gets right in that is the name and "Hello and welcome to forgotten weapons, I'm Ian".
Log in to YouTube and post your critique there. I'm fairly confident that he and his audience will take it seriously, assuming you substitute something more technical and explanatory for the shorthand "pile of excrement" bit :-D

Come to think of it, you might want to use it to promote your book . . . . .

Log in to YouTube and post your critique there. I'm fairly confident that he and his audience will take it seriously, assuming you substitute something more technical and explanatory for the shorthand "pile of excrement" bit :-D

Come to think of it, you might want to use it to promote your book . . . . .
Ok, I'll agree I was being a bit harsh on that description, but it really is bad if you know anything about the PIAT (I mean he even gets Blacker's name wrong...). But its some of his older stuff, and when I look at my older stuff I cringe.
Plus, what do you think would happen if I popped up and criticised him? At best a stiff ignoring, and one that won't foster better relations.

I do have a dream, when I own my own PIAT, and the PIAT MK.II, to invite him over to the UK to have a play.

I do have a dream, when I own my own PIAT, and the PIAT MK.II, to invite him over to the UK to have a play
$3k for that one, and you'd need to be on very intimate terms with the EOD community to find a range, assuming suitable ammo could be be procured, and at that point your dream might come true.

I suspect there's more chance that there's some nutter in the Yew Ess of Ay (Land Of The Free) with a working version, viable ammo and a homestead in the arrse end of Montana (no pesky neighbours for frickin' miles) who could bring your dream to life. All you have to do is find them.

Given that Forgotten Weapons has 1.57 million subscribers, it might be no bad channel on which to communicate your vision . . .

Ok, I'll agree I was being a bit harsh on that description, but it really is bad if you know anything about the PIAT (I mean he even gets Blacker's name wrong...). But its some of his older stuff, and when I look at my older stuff I cringe.
Plus, what do you think would happen if I popped up and criticised him? At best a stiff ignoring, and one that won't foster better relations.

I do have a dream, when I own my own PIAT, and the PIAT MK.II, to invite him over to the UK to have a play.
You might try contacting him. Tell him that you saw his video on the PIAT, and politely say that there were several inaccuracies. Then offer yourself as an expert in the field and an author of an upcoming book on the subject. McCollum himself is a generalist and relies on other people for the actual information he presents. His shows are no more accurate than the books he relies upon for information, so he relies on people like you for his material.

If you can get in touch with him, offer to send him a copy of your book for review. He is probably right now looking for things he can fill air time with that don't involve travel.

If you want to promote your book you should be getting in touch with the people running various popular Youtube channels that might be interested in the subject and offering to do Skype interviews discussing spigot mortars and any of the various subjects relating to them. Do it right now when the channel creators are all stuck at home and looking for ways to fill air time.

$3k for that one, and you'd need to be on very intimate terms with the EOD community to find a range, assuming suitable ammo could be be procured, and at that point your dream might come true.

I suspect there's more chance that there's some nutter in the Yew Ess of Ay (Land Of The Free) with a working version, viable ammo and a homestead in the arrse end of Montana (no pesky neighbours for frickin' miles) who could bring your dream to life. All you have to do is find them.

Given that Forgotten Weapons has 1.57 million subscribers, it might be no bad channel on which to communicate your vision . . .
The Dangerous Device tax stamp is $200 per round assuming you can find the ammunition.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

You might try contacting him. Tell him that you saw his video on the PIAT, and politely say that there were several inaccuracies. Then offer yourself as an expert in the field and an author of an upcoming book on the subject. McCollum himself is a generalist and relies on other people for the actual information he presents. His shows are no more accurate than the books he relies upon for information, so he relies on people like you for his material.

If you can get in touch with him, offer to send him a copy of your book for review. He is probably right now looking for things he can fill air time with that don't involve travel.

If you want to promote your book you should be getting in touch with the people running various popular Youtube channels that might be interested in the subject and offering to do Skype interviews discussing spigot mortars and any of the various subjects relating to them. Do it right now when the channel creators are all stuck at home and looking for ways to fill air time.
I already have a conversation going with him, I got him some documents that he was having trouble finding, and offered to help on his recent plans to set up an online archive. He failed to respond both times.

I already have contacts with a few big Youtubers, and they've been disappointing. In I've been lobbing books at them and nothing seems to come out. Also I can't really lob the spigot book at anyone yet, as its still 18 months away from release!

Maybe of interest. A bloke in the US has gotten his PIAT working again:

He uses newly machined versions of the prac round and blank 12 bore cartridges.

Now, all I need is a range, a PIAT, a FAC and a few other bits!

ugly

LE
Maybe of interest. A bloke in the US has gotten his PIAT working again:

He uses newly machined versions of the prac round and blank 12 bore cartridges.

Now, all I need is a range, a PIAT, a FAC and a few other bits!
Not really, a friendly rfd with access to land would be better!

Latest Threads