PIAT

daz

LE
Well, there is a possibility of a series of talks by myself, on release day, combined with a book signing. We're just hammering out the details.
So the price is being talked at by me for 20mins first!
If you want a deac there let me know

Yeah, it seems that pretty much everyone had their PIATs replaced by M20's for Korea. Which indicates a serious lack of suitable ammo.
Or a serious lack of faith in its suitability for combating tanks designed later than about 1944?

that cocking mech looks as if it could bloody hurt your shoulder though..

GIVE ME THE GOOD OLD 84MM (as long as I don't have to carry the bloody thing)
OR THE 66MM
FOC

Well, there is a possibility of a series of talks by myself, on release day, combined with a book signing. We're just hammering out the details.
So the price is being talked at by me for 20mins first!
Have you seen any blueprints for it ? I've got the rough measurements to build a non functional replica but nothing else.

Have you seen any blueprints for it ? I've got the rough measurements to build a non functional replica but nothing else.
Maybe, I'd have to check. But before you start knocking it together. Keep in mind anything more than a "non-functioning replica" lands you squarely in Section 5 of the Firearms act. And that's all sorts of bad Juju, for one you're not dealing with you're friendly local FAO and DM, you're dealing directly with the Home Office.

T-34/85's were shite, and well within the PIATs ability.
Well, they were designed well before 1944, and if they were coming at you in ones and twos, I wouldn't argue with you.

On the other hand, given the weapon's worryingly limited effective range, I'm not sure I'd want to be relying on it to deal with more substantial numbers: that old thing about "Quantity has a quality entirely of its own".

Frankly, reading up-thread before posting my remark (and having been an ATk Pl Comd, with both WOMBAT and MILAN in my platoon), I was more than a tad gobsmacked to read the PIAT was ever a Support Company weapon!

Well, they were designed well before 1944, and if they were coming at you in ones and twos, I wouldn't argue with you.

On the other hand, given the weapon's worryingly limited effective range, I'm not sure I'd want to be relying on it to deal with more substantial numbers: that old thing about "Quantity has a quality entirely of its own".

Frankly, reading up-thread before posting my remark (and having been an ATk Pl Comd, with both WOMBAT and MILAN in my platoon), I was more than a tad gobsmacked to read the PIAT was ever a Support Company weapon!
What weapon would you like to equip your infantry platoons then? Pease do find one that has the stand off range your require, is contemporary and man portable enough to be a platoon weapon? Also, being able to hit effectively might be of use, remember the measure of accuracy I provided in the table a few pages back, with a lot of the weapons even at 100 yards you'd be pushing the ability to hit. At longer ranges you'll be addressing the round to the general post code.
The PIAT also had a massive advantage over all the others by having a blistering rate of fire. Easily having one round every 3-5 seconds. That's exactly the sort of ROF you need when you've got a "Quantity" of T-34/85's baring down on you. A bazooka in comparison, you have to stick the rocket in, then roll out a wire (or two, I forget), then wind those wires around the contact terminals.
PIAT: Bomb in tray, give it a quick tap, grab the next round.

Ignore the voice over, here's a hand clip:

What weapon would you like to equip your infantry platoons then? Pease do find one that has the stand off range your require, is contemporary and man portable enough to be a platoon weapon? Also, being able to hit effectively might be of use, remember the measure of accuracy I provided in the table a few pages back, with a lot of the weapons even at 100 yards you'd be pushing the ability to hit. At longer ranges you'll be addressing the round to the general post code.
The PIAT also had a massive advantage over all the others by having a blistering rate of fire. Easily having one round every 3-5 seconds. That's exactly the sort of ROF you need when you've got a "Quantity" of T-34/85's baring down on you. A bazooka in comparison, you have to stick the rocket in, then roll out a wire (or two, I forget), then wind those wires around the contact terminals.
PIAT: Bomb in tray, give it a quick tap, grab the next round.

Ignore the voice over, here's a hand clip:
You're clearly a fan :)

I'm pretty sure, compared to those who were equipped with it in its heyday, that makes you a rare breed :-D

And while I don't doubt that it was - for a time, at any rate - the best (or at least the most affordable) thing the Brit Army could put into the field as a rifle platoon weapon, the notion that it was ever the backbone of a post-WW2 infantry battalion's anti-armour capability, and thus concentrated in Support Company, makes my very toes curl ;-)

Wasn't the PIAT warhead unstable in that the compounds used deteriorated over time ?
No more being made at wars ends and the stuff left going "off" - get rid and replace.

I'm pretty sure, compared to those who were equipped with it in its heyday, that makes you a rare breed :-D

And while I don't doubt that it was - for a time, at any rate - the best (or at least the most affordable) thing the Brit Army could put into the field as a rifle platoon weapon, the notion that it was ever the backbone of a post-WW2 infantry battalion's anti-armour capability, and thus concentrated in Support Company, makes my very toes curl ;-)
As Listy says, it could out shoot a rocket launcher with regards to rate of fire, but it had another trick up its sleeve. Buildings make for handy protection/concealment. No problem for the PIAT, but I wouldn't fancy firing a bazooka et al from inside a room.

As Listy says, it could out shoot a rocket launcher with regards to rate of fire, but it had another trick up its sleeve. Buildings make for handy protection/concealment. No problem for the PIAT, but I wouldn't fancy firing a bazooka et al from inside a room.
You make it sound like a choice between holidaying in one of two equally appalling Spanish budget resorts . . . . . :-D

It wasn't a battalions atk firepower. Ever heard of a 6 pounder or a 17 pounder?

Wasn't the PIAT warhead unstable in that the compounds used deteriorated over time ?
No more being made at wars ends and the stuff left going "off" - get rid and replace.
Nobel's 808 did go squiffy after a while, but those went out of production at the end of 44 I think, so they likely got shot off. I've no idea on RDX shelf life, or even the shelf life of 808. You'd need the professional explosive chaps for that.

Latest Threads