PIAT

Ok, now its time for a question.

Has anyone got a picture of the inside of the bomb trough, without either the bomb or practice round adaptor? Something like this:

There's a good logical reason for this question. I'm trying to work out how the tray is held in place. There's obviously a clip in front, but what about at the back?

Last edited:

tiv

War Hero
There's a thread on the Pillbox Study Group Forum Removed e24140 about a Type 28 pillbox. It appreas to have been constructed with a 6pr in mind but has a plate with a pivot pin sitting on the holdfast. Possibly an improvised fitting for a Bombard? The pin is reported as being 2" diameter.

eed121c3e13557d70091625666cb825b.jpg

offog

LE
Compared to others that I have seen which have spent decades underground this mounting is in very poor condition, All the others I have seen are like new. I would also question the assumption it was for a 6 Pdr as they may not have been in service when this was built unless they are referring to the naval gun..

There's a thread on the Pillbox Study Group Forum Removed e24140 about a Type 28 pillbox. It appreas to have been constructed with a 6pr in mind but has a plate with a pivot pin sitting on the holdfast. Possibly an improvised fitting for a Bombard? The pin is reported as being 2" diameter.

View attachment 399393
First shot that's flying off.
A Bombard generates six tons of recoil. Look at those bolts and tell me it can take that.
Equally, the shape of the opening leaves me to wonder, especially, how the hell are we reloading?

tiv

War Hero
Compared to others that I have seen which have spent decades underground this mounting is in very poor condition, All the others I have seen are like new. I would also question the assumption it was for a 6 Pdr as they may not have been in service when this was built unless they are referring to the naval gun..
It may be a local fabrication and the pivot is clearly not stainless steel though in this case it is under cover.

The holdfasts were for ex-RN 6prs formally mounted in WWI tanks.

tiv

War Hero
First shot that's flying off.
A Bombard generates six tons of recoil. Look at those bolts and tell me it can take that.
Equally, the shape of the opening leaves me to wonder, especially, how the hell are we reloading?
Without measurements I don't know but if room permits you traverse the Bombard to one side.

Thanks for the information re recoil, wonder what it was for then?

Last edited:

MJM

Swinger
Just stumbled across this 2008 auction lot, some lucky bugger bought 3 PIATs for a relatively small place.

The box is apparently Greek Army, note the Greek alphabet's use of Pi 'n' for the P. The top word being 'construction'. Trucking down post-war PIAT use is a tricky business.

This one of you feckers?

Londo

LE
This one of you feckers?
Ahhhh ! Blubber buggies . Drove through the small town of Brandon today and it was a sea of the things . 6 outside the cafe , 2 outside the bakers , 3 outside each of the three pubs that I noticed , 2 outside each of the two bookies . Didnt see any outside the greengrocers though . Strange .

offog

LE
Ahhhh ! Blubber buggies . Drove through the small town of Brandon today and it was a sea of the things . 6 outside the cafe , 2 outside the bakers , 3 outside each of the three pubs that I noticed , 2 outside each of the two bookies . Didnt see any outside the greengrocers though . Strange .
That's because the team of delivery persons were out delivering to the bookies, pub, bakers and cafes in the area.

Latest Threads