PIAT

It looks like a trigger grouping but I can't see where the trigger itself would attach. Prototype for PIAT?
Half a gold star I'm afraid.
It Is trigger unit (no trigger mech though, so its just the frame/furniture). The trigger attaches on the left side of the block, so its off centre.

But its not a PIAT prototype.

Quiz time!
Anyone want to guess what it is, and why it's important?
Dunno, but it looks a bit like the pistol grip thing of an M1 Bazooka (except the trigger guard thing is bigger). It may be related, because the Bazooka, like this thing, didn't have trigger, it was fired by an electrical switch.
If not that, then some obscure anti-tank weapon I've never heard of, which is most of them.

Dunno, but it looks a bit like the pistol grip thing of an M1 Bazooka (except the trigger guard thing is bigger). It may be related, because the Bazooka, like this thing, didn't have trigger, it was fired by an electrical switch.
If not that, then some obscure anti-tank weapon I've never heard of, which is most of them.
While blacker knocked up designs for some obscure Anti-tank weapons. @Red Hander was on the right track earlier in linking it to the PIAT family.

While blacker knocked up designs for some obscure Anti-tank weapons. @Red Hander was on the right track earlier in linking it to the PIAT family.
It must be the earleir PIAT version, the Jefferis device. I don't thgink I've ever seen a picture of one.

Quiz time!

The boxes pictured earlier had several lumps of rusty parts in it. Here's one:

Anyone want to guess what it is, and why it's important?
That would appear to be the trigger unit from the longer projector, (airborne model with the hinged projectile tray) seen in the foreground of that photo of the two Airborne chaps posing with unconfirmed airborne projector and a PIAT.

That would appear to be the trigger unit from the longer projector, (airborne model with the hinged projectile tray) seen in the foreground of that photo of the two Airborne chaps posing with unconfirmed airborne projector and a PIAT.
It is very related, either a predecessor or descendant of that weapon. So well remembered.

It is very related, either a predecessor or descendant of that weapon. So well remembered.
Have you had any luck placing that weapon in the time line/identifying it? I wonder if its one of the developmental types Blacker refers to briefly in his book. Perhaps that is the type which was chosen and further developed by ICI.

Last edited:
Have you had any luck placing that weapon in the time line/identifying it? I wonder if its one of the developmental types Blacker refers to briefly in his book. Perhaps that is the type which was chosen and further developed by ICI.
Yes. I know roughly where it comes, and I have an speculation as to how that one relates.

ROCKET, EXPERIMENTAL LACHRYMATORY (BLACKER) - sadly no photo uploaded. Typical of Blacker to pick an antiquated name like Lachrymatory.
Its a tear gas weapon. 'Lachrymatory' was quite often used to describe tear gas weapons in the 1930's. For example they briefly tried to develop a Lachrymatory shell for the 15lbr tank mortar.