PIAT

Well, I've got a source to back up at least one of his comments.
The rest seems to fly in the face of other items Blacker has said though.
Which one, please?
Not knowing Blacker as well as you, some of that letter was surprising.*
I am waiting to hear from the Engineer Institute re. the PIAT-related archive, btw.

*Edit: part of his letter was later challenged by another correspondent:

Screenshot_20190517-184557.png

Last edited:
Which one, please?
Not knowing Blacker as well as you, some of that letter was surprising.*
I am waiting to hear from the Engineer Institute re. the PIAT-related archive, btw.

*Edit: part of his letter was later challenged by another correspondent:

View attachment 393514
That the Petard was just a PIAT made larger, I have plenty of evidence to that end. But Blacker has elsewhere claimed, if memory serves, that he got the idea from the Granatenwerfer 16, which he encountered during WWI.

That the Petard was just a PIAT made larger, I have plenty of evidence to that end. But Blacker has elsewhere claimed, if memory serves, that he got the idea from the Granatenwerfer 16, which he encountered during WWI.
I don't think he was saying the Petard was "just" an enlarged PIAT. I think he was drawing attention to one of many inspirations for his interest in spigot mortars. He said
The "Petard" of the A.V.R.E. was, indeed, almost a much enlarged P.I.A.T.
The "indeed, almost" is I think a very important part in understanding his intent. He was essentially saying that he was much simplifying a complex development.

If you look at the context of the letter, including where it was published, his intent was to draw out one specific thread of a complex history. This was the thread which showed connections to the Royal Engineers, something which would be of particular interest to readers of the Royal Engineers Journal.

Trying to comprehensively cover the development of those devices, including all their origins and inspirations, is not something that could be addressed in a short letter so he was not making any attempt to do so.

I don't think he was saying the Petard was "just" an enlarged PIAT. I think he was drawing attention to one of many inspirations for his interest in spigot mortars. He said

The "indeed, almost" is I think a very important part in understanding his intent. He was essentially saying that he was much simplifying a complex development.

If you look at the context of the letter, including where it was published, his intent was to draw out one specific thread of a complex history. This was the thread which showed connections to the Royal Engineers, something which would be of particular interest to readers of the Royal Engineers Journal.

Trying to comprehensively cover the development of those devices, including all their origins and inspirations, is not something that could be addressed in a short letter so he was not making any attempt to do so.
Trouble is, I have three people now, Blacker, one of his employees and one of the clients, all say the same thing. That the petard was a scaled up PIAT

I have discussed the PIAT papers held at the IME with their archive team. Copying / scanning them to me seems a no but visits to the archive, to see papers, by appointment are free of charge. I don't go to London other than for work or to see parents. I will tag a visit to the archive onto my next work trip (unless a London - based arrser can get there first). They are at One, Birdcage Walk.

I'm reading Beevors latest tome, Arnhem. There are a number of anecdotes regarding PIATs being used as ad hoc mortars, launching bombs high arcing them over buildings with a modicum of success. Robert Cain, he of VC fame, prior to his action for which he got the gong had been lobbing PIAT bombs onto enemy troops a fair distance beyond normal PIAT range.

I have discussed the PIAT papers held at the IME with their archive team. Copying / scanning them to me seems a no but visits to the archive, to see papers, by appointment are free of charge. I don't go to London other than for work or to see parents. I will tag a visit to the archive onto my next work trip (unless a London - based arrser can get there first). They are at One, Birdcage Walk.
Damn, that's not Viable in my time frame (for me at least). I'll have completed the reserch phase by the end of June. Bit of a bugger then. On the plus side I'm off to see Blacker's personal papers!

I'm reading Beevors latest tome, Arnhem. There are a number of anecdotes regarding PIATs being used as ad hoc mortars, launching bombs high arcing them over buildings with a modicum of success. Robert Cain, he of VC fame, prior to his action for which he got the gong had been lobbing PIAT bombs onto enemy troops a fair distance beyond normal PIAT range.
Well I found an account the other day of a Panzer IV rushing a platoon in North Africa. At 20 yards they got their PIAT into action and had to use the White line not the sights and knocked it out.
Also The PIAT was being tested as an IDF weapon back in 1942.

Damn, that's not Viable in my time frame (for me at least). I'll have completed the reserch phase by the end of June. Bit of a bugger then. On the plus side I'm off to see Blacker's personal papers!

Well I found an account the other day of a Panzer IV rushing a platoon in North Africa. At 20 yards they got their PIAT into action and had to use the White line not the sights and knocked it out.
Also The PIAT was being tested as an IDF weapon back in 1942.
Apologies. I did point out to the archivist that 'free' access is, genuinely helpful but equally limiting as getting to Central London, a day off work, etc, is not cheap. God knows why they will not copy the items for a copying fee.
Good news re. Blacker's papers. Let us know of any, err, bombshells.

Apologies. I did point out to the archivist that 'free' access is, genuinely helpful but equally limiting as getting to Central London, a day off work, etc, is not cheap. God knows why they will not copy the items for a copying fee.
Good news re. Blacker's papers. Let us know of any, err, bombshells.
I can't state what the situation is with that particular archive, but in many cases there simply isn't anyone available to do that sort of work and there is no budget or headcount authorisation to hire anyone.

I can't state what the situation is with that particular archive, but in many cases there simply isn't anyone available to do that sort of work and there is no budget or headcount authorisation to hire anyone.
Yep. Fair point Termers, old chap.
I was v courteous on making my point. Just a tad frustrating as the records are digitised. If I joined the Institute (£180!) I could immediately access the docs.

Bombshells you say?

TBH, I suspect I've put far too much Bombshells and info on here, that I should have kept for my book. You know, keeping ones Nobels 808 Dry....
I think you are OK. We've had insights but not a narrative. Looking forward to reading your book. Let us know when it is out.
What's that in the middle BTW? Looks like an aircraft bomb!

I think you are OK. We've had insights but not a narrative. Looking forward to reading your book. Let us know when it is out.
What's that in the middle BTW? Looks like an aircraft bomb!

They were all fired from the mystery spigot I posted a few pages up, and no one wanted to play with.