PIAT

Arbalest is not PIAT related. It was originally entered into a competition for the Army's new light mortar in August 1937. It was fighting agaisnt a 2" Ecia, 2.5" BSA, 47mm Brandt, 52mm Telarma (Scott), 62mm Brandt and as a baseline the 3" ML service weapon.

If memory serves the 2" Ecia won and became the 2" mortar we all know and love.

Hence the rear spade? That bipod doesn't seem to allow much in the way of elevation.

I came across this letter yesterday, BTW, from a 1959 edition of the New Scientist. Not a man lacking in confidence.

View attachment 388644
Hehehe
You can see there Blacker's personality.
1) Hates bureaucracy and civil servants.
2) Banging on about the 'Panzer-Stuka Menace' after all those years (He seems to have started this around 1940).
3) Modifying the facts to back up his view of things.

As you say he is rather Confident and forthright. To be fair he is fully qualified to do so. Some of his exploits (Or so is claimed in his autobiography), such as getting shot down as a member of the RFC in 1916, and then deciding Air combat was too tame he returned to lead Indian Army troops in the trenches.
Or the first flight over Everest in 1933, which is pure bold explorers of the empire stuff, with a couple of Heath Robinson contraptions between them and certain doom.

...you sure that's FFE?

There is no red filling ring, but yellow on a bomb makes me itchy!
The official guide shows yellow for some of the Prac rounds. Although the markings are different, and the official guide also states that some early bombs were incorrectly marked. Orange on a Bombard round would make me very worried.

Bit of an old lamp post?
14lbr HE round (hopefully prac, if not, can I have Halftrack's PIAT and sundries?) for a Blacker Bombard.

Hehehe
You can see there Blacker's personality.
1) Hates bureaucracy and civil servants.
2) Banging on about the 'Panzer-Stuka Menace' after all those years (He seems to have started this around 1940).
3) Modifying the facts to back up his view of things.

As you say he is rather Confident and forthright. To be fair he is fully qualified to do so. Some of his exploits (Or so is claimed in his autobiography), such as getting shot down as a member of the RFC in 1916, and then deciding Air combat was too tame he returned to lead Indian Army troops in the trenches.
Or the first flight over Everest in 1933, which is pure bold explorers of the empire stuff, with a couple of Heath Robinson contraptions between them and certain doom.

The official guide shows yellow for some of the Prac rounds. Although the markings are different, and the official guide also states that some early bombs were incorrectly marked. Orange on a Bombard round would make me very worried.

14lbr HE round (hopefully prac, if not, can I have Halftrack's PIAT and sundries?) for a Blacker Bombard.
Looks to me like its filled with concrete. If it goes bang then obviously I'm wrong, and I won't be needing my collection anymore! o_O

Looks to me like its filled with concrete. If it goes bang then obviously I'm wrong, and I won't be needing my collection anymore! o_O
There is a top test on seeing if its filled with 808.

Apparently 808 was relatively sensitive to shock (later in the war when they used it to fill a 9.5" gun things went badly), must be the 2% beeswax they used in it... So give it a good kick!

BAGSY!

Close up of the front. The filling is as hard as concrete, that's for sure.

20190419_1215301555673502449.jpg

Last edited:
There is a top test on seeing if its filled with 808.

Apparently 808 was relatively sensitive to shock (later in the war when they used it to fill a 9.5" gun things went badly), must be the 2% beeswax they used in it... So give it a good kick!

BAGSY!
Bagsed!

Is that why fire of live PIAT rounds was stopped shortly after the war? Or is that a load of old pony?

Bagsed!

Is that why fire of live PIAT rounds was stopped shortly after the war? Or is that a load of old pony?
As far as I know it was due to high velocities, a PIAT, no matter how much you clench, isn't getting to those velocities.
My bet that such a ban is down to money. We're not producing any more rounds so this is what you've got in the event of a war.

Close up of the front. The filling is as hard as concrete, that's for sure.

View attachment 388661
That looks pretty solid..

Just a point that I think is worth raising.. You should, I believe, mark all your inert rounds FFE and the date if they have been inspected. I would also leave a photo catalogue of what inert stuff you had and any documentation with your family papers..

None of us live forever and you really don't want EOD rearranging your house (and maybe your daughter!) after your funeral...!

Point well made. 99% of my stuff was bought 20 to 30 years ago, when PIAT's were cheap! Should get it checked.

Point well made. 99% of my stuff was bought 20 to 30 years ago, when PIAT's were cheap! Should get it checked.
Probably wise, but make sure plod aren't involved, some over zealous (but not properly informed) type could end up confiscating stuff and arranging for it to be terminally exposed to some live explosive on a beach somewhere.

Some years back there was a report (newspaper?) including photos of a load of Stokes(?) mortar bombs which had been lying untouched since the end of WW1 in a French field. If anyone has a link to this I would be appeciative.