PIAT

Jeremy Clarkson's father in law won a V.C. at Arnhem for taking on a Tiger tank with a PIAT, see the link:-

http://www.army.mod.uk/fusiliers/ba...oss/northumberland/maj_cain_robert_henry_.htm
Below is the citation for a Major French of the RWF (attached Queens) for attacking Tigers with Piats and sticky bombs in Villers Bocage (this is just after Wittman duffed up the County of London Yeomanry). Was recommended for a DSO, got an MC (and well deserved!):

At VILLERS BOCAGE on 13th June 1944 the Coy commanded by MAJOR FRENCH had been ordered to occupy a position covering the Eastern exits. While assembled in the square of the town a report was received that several Mk VI tiger tanks were moving down the main street towards the square. MAJOR FRENCH immediately ordered his Coy to disperse into the houses in the side streets which overlooked the main road, and to be prepared to take aggressive action. He then personally took a piat mortar and, together with a small party armed with sticky bombs, went off further into the town in the direction from which the enemy tanks were approaching.

He found four Mk VI tanks and one Mk IV in the main street and approached the leading one from a side street to within a range of twenty yards. He fired two bombs, the result of this attack could not be observed, but it caused one tank to move forward where it was driven on to the waiting 6 pdr anti-tank guns, and the guns of our own tanks, and completely destroyed.

During this attack one of the enemy tanks blew down a house near which MAJOR FRENCH was standing and he was wounded in the leg, but in spite of this, he returned to collect his Coy and proceeded to take them to their allotted positions.

On arrival his Coy again found a Mk VI tank approaching from the East and once again MAJOR FRENCH personally led an attack on this tank, and although his bombs failed to destroy it, they caused it to change direction and move away from his Coy area.

Throughout the day this Coy was engaged with tanks and later with infantry and MAJOR FRENCH, despite the wound in his leg, continued to display outstanding leadership. During the evening the Coy received orders to withdraw to another position and, in spite of many difficulties this was successfully carried out, and it was not until his Coy was back in its new position that he would allow himself to be evacuated, through sheer exhaustion from the effects of his wound.

Throughout the entire day MAJOR FRENCH'S conduct was an inspiration to his Coy, on many occasions faced with difficult situations entirely overcome through his magnificent leadership and personal courage.

I'll avoid making the obvious risqué joke out of that one, but I'm sure that someone else will oblige.

None the less, it's nice to see you again.
I thought I would supply some low-hanging fruit for the children.

@jumpinjarhead

I'll 2nd that JJ, nice to see you back !!

(To keep from going insane you might not want to visit the President Trump thread though) :)
(I imagine many of those posting there are feeling similarly to mine during the period 2008-2016 with Barry Hussein.)

It is interesting that there is a musical connection between the piat and the bazooka...
Both hit a note the Japs + Boche found unbearable…..

Taxi,,,,,,,,

Below is the citation for a Major French of the RWF (attached Queens) for attacking Tigers with Piats and sticky bombs in Villers Bocage (this is just after Wittman duffed up the County of London Yeomanry). Was recommended for a DSO, got an MC (and well deserved!):
I always find it enlightening when most, if not all talk about Villers Bocage they only get as far as the first couple of hours and fail to know what happens when that great German tactician and leader, Wittman enters a built up area defended by competent infantry without infantry support.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
(I imagine many of those posting there are feeling similarly to mine during the period 2008-2016 with Barry Hussein.)
"This, too, shall pass". The US is big enough, and old enough, and its institutions are well enough designed, that it's really hard for any particular President to do serious damage, and the electoral process makes it self-limiting.

But then the last US President I really thought "good job, pal!" was George Bush Sr. and he tripped up on domestic policy to be a one-term President... to be replaced by "did not have 'sex' with that woman" Clinton, who was succeeded by Bush Jr. (who meant well but evidently didn't listen to his father), who was followed by a Chicago machine politician with good intentions but no clue about foreign policy, who was followed by a dubious real-estate broker and reality TV host.

Clinton never did get around to bringing in the North Korean Death Squads in their black helicopters, Bush Jr. never did make "being gay" a capital offence, Obama didn't ban or confiscate AR-15s, Ttump will likewise find it's easier to say than to do while in office.

Not that my opinion as a foreigner (and more importantly non-voter) is worth more than $0.02 anyway, but it's offered for interest.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I always find it enlightening when most, if not all talk about Villers Bocage they only get as far as the first couple of hours and fail to know what happens when that great German tactician and leader, Wittman enters a built up area defended by competent infantry without infantry support.
Look, the Tiger was immune to all enemy fire, and claims that Wittman ended up fleeing on foot because his invincible - and irreplaceable - Tiger tank was knocked out by a puny little six-pounder gun he'd missed are just lies and propaganda!

Next you'll be claiming that pathetic, useless Sherman tanks somehow harmed or damaged the uberpanzerkampfwagen Tiger in battle, rather than that the divine Wittman was summoned directly to Heaven in a Christ-like ascension. (Or was he beamed to the Nazi base in Antarctica? Or the one on the dark side of the Moon? It's hard to keep track these days...)

"This, too, shall pass". The US is big enough, and old enough, and its institutions are well enough designed, that it's really hard for any particular President to do serious damage, and the electoral process makes it self-limiting.

But then the last US President I really thought "good job, pal!" was George Bush Sr. and he tripped up on domestic policy to be a one-term President... to be replaced by "did not have 'sex' with that woman" Clinton, who was succeeded by Bush Jr. (who meant well but evidently didn't listen to his father), who was followed by a Chicago machine politician with good intentions but no clue about foreign policy, who was followed by a dubious real-estate broker and reality TV host.

Clinton never did get around to bringing in the North Korean Death Squads in their black helicopters, Bush Jr. never did make "being gay" a capital offence, Obama didn't ban or confiscate AR-15s, Ttump will likewise find it's easier to say than to do while in office.

Not that my opinion as a foreigner (and more importantly non-voter) is worth more than $0.02 anyway, but it's offered for interest.
Thoughtful observations. I no longer comment on socio-political matters. Life is too short....

Easy, he got destroyed by Superior British armour, of course!

Indeed! One sixth of the Tigers in Normandy at the time destroyed at Villers Bocage.

Interestingly three quarters of the gallantry awards for the action went to the County of London Yeomanry. I believe French was the only non-Yeomanry recipient and they were arguably notably more successful!

A second photo from French Indochina. This courtesy of a private photograph with the caption:

BEN NGOC Décembre 1951 (souligné) / Mon mortier 'Piat' en batterie / au fond de son trou. Derrière le / blockhaus de ma section"

The PIAT seems deployed as a mortar though the mid and lower part is not visible so it is not clear how it is supported.

lpdp_101589-25.jpg

Last edited: