PIAT

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I thought that the shoulder pad was pushed forward by the firer and then used as a shoulder recoil pad during firing. Otherwise how did it have such a reputation for recoil? This needs looking intoo as there is definetly no way that looks right!

2. that cocking mech looks as if it could bloody hurt your shoulder though..

GIVE ME THE GOOD OLD 84MM
    OR THE 66MM

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The idea is to keep it in your shoulder and the recoil is supposed to recock the launcher. That is if you absorb the recoil!
    That issy had it the wrong way around!

4. The idea is to keep it in your shoulder and the recoil is supposed to recock the launcher. That is if you absorb the recoil!

STILL LOOKS BLOODY PAINFULL..

5. By the book, (could also be done from a standing position)
    [​IMG]

The feckless pratt in the video is just that.

A problem with the PIAT was sometimes your firing position. Ideally (as former operators have told me), you need your body line directly behind the axis of the weapon for two reasons. First, in this way with the weapon pulled tight into your shoulder, you minimise the pain of recoil. Second, the weapon needs as much resistance behind it as possible to give the ‘auto recock’ a chance of working. Also re the recock working, the moving parts need be well maintained. Spring draw weight up to 200lbs.
    [​IMG]

Problem with body-line in operation, it wasn’t always possible to use the optimum due to your position and the angle at which the weapon was fired to hit the target.
    __________Poor line__________________________________________Good line__________
    [​IMG][​IMG]

No.9

6. Looks cheap to produce, The thing is basically a 'spring loaded' grenade launcher.

Any still used today?

7. As with many of the weapon systems of WWII it was very cheap, easy and quick to produce in large numbers. It was also a dodgy peace of kit safety wise.

There are none used in service today. They would not be allowed.

8. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Waste of breath,
    Do one troll boy,
    [​IMG]

9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Don't forget that the PIAT rounds had a small cartridge in them to assist in launch. Imortalised in "A bridge too far".

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Staffs museum has his gong, Dennison and Beret!

11. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

There was someone from Bury? who won a VC for knocking out a Stug with one in Italy I think the story is that he fired it whilst standing up ...sadley the mans VC got stolen during a break in when he was an old man

12. Guys,

You have all fallen in to the usual trap with the PIAT....

The PIAT is a form of spigot mortar like the Hedgehog and the Blacker Bombard. Instead of a barrel the bomb rides on a steel spike or spigot. The bomb is similar to a modern rifle grenade with a hollow tail, however as Ugly says the PIAT has a small charge in the bottom of the tail pipe. This is actually a 20 bore shotgun cart with no rim...

To reduce the felt recoil (a bit!) the spigot is spring loaded and starts the firing cycle in the rear position. When you pull the trigger the spigot shoots forward down the tailpipe of the bomb abd hits the prop cart. This fires, blowing the bomb off the front AND RECOCKING THE SPIGOT!

YOU ONLY HAVE TO DO THE RECOCK FOR THE FIRST ROUND!!!!

afterwards you just bung in another bomb (unless you have a misfire!)

(And yes, the shoulder pad and cocking rod is pushed forward after pulling back the spigot)

Duh!

13. The PIAT? The 1944 version? A suicide weapon. That's if you ever got close enough?????

While in Holland near Weert? 246 Field Company RE had, as often happens, got ahead of everyone.
    I was sent out to a dugout way ahead of the main of the company, as an outpost armed with a loaded PIAT.
    Fortunately although we could hear Panzer's engines they did not come our way.

WE were sometimes described as "Those bloody Sappers again" In some circumstances ordered to stop, and let the infantry deal.

Now PIATs? I have fired that bloody awful creature. For a start anyone trying to carry out the illustrated way of using it was in deep trouble.
    The ones we had did not reload ready for the next round. The recoil was staggering.... Fire and roll! as the fin often came back at you.. close legs tight.... No tree behind you, and pray.

I could not load it on my own it took two of us. Fired from the hip? Stone me! In my opinion? Cloud Cuckoo land ...the recoil would break your neck.
    It was a good way of bring down a sheer cliff of rock, fired at the rock surface it would bore a deep hole that could be used to tamp explosives in, to form an internal "Cavern" then pack it with "Amanol"???? and blow.

Some of the tales that are spread around about what happened sometimes border on the ridiculous.

The effect of a PIAT is a round hole an inch or so in size, rather like an acetylene torch burn. Then the hot gases follow through and spread the occupants around in a horrible mess

Out there all alone with a PIAT? Determined! but scared seven different colours out of me.

All my opinion of course
    Swordman.