Physical Training/Assault Course

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by P-Ride, Jun 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had my first meeting with an Army careers advisor in Plymouth and will be meeting again next week to hand in paperwork to the Cambridge office.

I've been Thai Boxing for around 4 years and do a lot of board sports - my pushups are good and although not a fast runner, I have excellent stamina (heart rate is around 50bpm).

However, I have very over-developed legs (I’m around 13 stone 5' 9") and as such, cannot do a pull up yet! I hang on the bar, but just can't get myself up, although I am closer than I was a few months ago.

I know guys who bench-press less than I do and are considerably smaller built, but can - which is extremely irritating. I'm developed enough in the arm department to get comments made occasionally, but haven't broken this barrier yet.

As I have just finished uni, the coming months will be spent seriously eating and lifting to develop my raw strength so that my arms and back are same proportionate size as my legs. (I can only just get two hands round my calves)

I am concerned that I might be going to my first AOSB in only the next couple of months.

Like I said, my fitness, strength, push ups and sit ups are great, but I am very slow at sprinting and my pull ups/jumping are pretty appalling.

What is the assault course and standard of required fitness like?

I was told that 50 push ups in 2 minutes are one criteria – which should be fine. A Rifles NCO told me that he thought they required a ‘generally good level of fitness’, and as such if I did well in other tests they might overlook the pull ups.

How much demand for pull ups/jumping are made in the AOSB?

Many Thanks

2. Why not work progressively on the pull ups? Start by using weights machines on low weights and then build up over a month or so. In no time at all, you'll be knocking out sets of ten with your body weight. At this point, you can switch to doing actual pull ups.

I can't answer the question at the end, sorry.

3. I'll certainly be using a weighted pullup machine if one is available at the gym I will sign up to back home.

Regardless, I'll be ordering a pullup bar for my room back home - even if I just hang on it a few times a day and pull up halfway, it will be a good test for my weight training.

Main advantage is that I will have a fridge full of food. Training does get hampered by running out of cash for food at uni!

4. One thing that will help you a lot is supplements. I use 'Science in Sport' and it works a charm.

5. Good call - I've already got a decent protein shake, but having run out of cash in my last term, I'm living on nothing but bread, shakes, peanut butter and the scraps left behind by my housemates!

I'll be looking into some decent energy boosters, as well as protein when I return - and some decent cooking!

My exercise plan will be:

- 40 minutes running 5-6 days a week (first thing in the morning, with only a protein shake in my stomach)

- A 3 day a week split-set in the gym

- Muay Thai once a week (the only class nearby when I'm home)

6. Code:
    I have just finished uni, the coming months will be spent seriously eating and lifting to develop my raw strength so that my arms and back are same proportionate size as my legs. 

Like I said, my fitness, strength, push ups and sit ups are great, but I am very slow at sprinting and my pull ups/jumping are pretty appalling.
    As a PTI I would be looking for a good and brave run time for your age (not sprinting) press ups with the hands directly under the shoulders with the elbows tucked into the rib cage and then fully extended, sit ups knees bent, torso pulled to the vertical and then returned to the horizontal in a controlled manner with both the sit ups and press ups you need to do as many as you are able within 2 minutes, go to impress and not for the minimum pass rate and you will be absolutely fine

Note this is not just to the entry test standard, I have serving guys and girls in their 50's and mid 50's who can achieve far better!

you will be assessed as much on your enthusiasm and potential for development and drive as anything else however fitness, teamwork and competitiveness is key.

Any thoughts please PM me

with good luck

PoGs
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

7. You thought of doing negatives? Use a bench to help get you up pver the bar then lower yourself slowly till younr knees touch the bench. Do this three to five times, 3 times a week. You thought of getting a rubber exercise band and tying it to a set of pull up bars? Better movement than the pull up assist machine and cheaper too. Also have look at doing pull ups on a lowered bar. One that is only waist high. It is more of a rowing movement but will help strengthen your back.
    Oh and supplements will not help you do more pull ups. Only you and your determination to succeed can.

8. Supplements will help you get fit, and in this case fitness=pullups. Obviously it is entirely on him to get up to the standard, but judicious use of supplements will help him get there.

9. There are no short cuts

A good diet healthy and regular exercise are the only way to achieve this I certainly have never taken supplements and have managed to maintain a high standard of fitness as a soldier in my unit in the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan. You will most definitely not find access to these supplements in theatre where your fitness and agility will be being counted on by your mates and team members.

My advice would be to read some posts on the ARRSE website relating to this area. speak to the recruiting office dudes and take your time building a healthy balanced fitness to gain entry to the army.

Once you are in, there will be plenty of time to get up to mischief and mayhem!!

Bearing in mind to being up, sober and ready for work the following morning :wink:

Again any thoughts PM me

regards

PoGs
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

10. Be careful with supplements etc trying to bulk up, 13 st at 5’9 you need to check out your Body Mass level with the recruiter, if your BMI muscle or fat is outside the range they will send you away to loss some weight. I know it sounds strange but you can be pumped up and well toned but if your BMI is too big it is still a fail.

Good luck and as always check with your recruiter before you try hard and find out you have wasted your time on the wrong thing.

11. Note I'm not serving currently and I have faild my first AOSB attempt, but my background is similar if not a bit more advanced then yours due to being a mental at uni and the few years following and getting myself out on the circuit.

I'm 5 11 and slightly heavier. I would suggest not trying to bulk out but cutting some calories. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to pull 6 min miles if you lose 6-7 lbs. The same goes for pull ups. I would invest in a dip belt, but try and get 10 hanging pullups done first with just body weight before venturing into additional weight. To get to that number looked up the grease the groove method of training.
    Keep the protein count high and up the carbs but try a deficit of 200-300kcal a day from diet.
    Also, don't be lazy. You're sprinting after a little while with the extra leg mass should be pretty good. It's the longer distance you will be poor on (relatively, if your pad work is at a good level, you should have a high VO2 max, which probably means your wind is good but your muscular endurance specific to running in your legs isn't as good as it could be- practise running and hill sprints will help that no end).

Hope that helps

12. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say, but when I had my bmi calculated I was just under the obese range. When the nurse said this she said even if I was over, they would measure my waistline and take it into account.

It might be an unoffical thing however, but that is what I was told.

13. Righty ho.

Jumping/pull up requirements at main board are a bit variable. In the assualt course you will have to hurdle and do a long jump past a marker. Also with the command tasks I ended up hanging off of quite a few ropes/poles/ladders/people so you need decent upper body and grip strength. However not everyone had to do this, but its best if you can.

14. Obviously he needs to do the work. I'm not suggesting anabolic steriods. However, as he's having a lot of trouble with this then it would boost his improvement rate were he to take the proper care over nutrition/supplements. There is a reason why most top class athletes use nutritionists.

15. " (I’m around 13 stone 5' 9") and as such, cannot do a pull up yet!"

Mate just keep trying. I'm 6ft and 15 stone, and I am doing them comfortably now. In the begining i couldn't do one, but i started using that pull down press thing at the gym, working up from 85kgs all the way to 100kgs.

Might be worth loosing some weight also, just had my letter from the medical center and they want my BMI to be under 28, i'm 28.3!