Physical assessment tonight.... thoughts.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mattcbf600, Jul 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay dangerous first post I grant you, but who knows...

I've read the various medical and assessment threads here and after going for my medical last week (which I failed due to being a fat bastard - well not the words the doc used but you get the idea). Fortunately I'm not too fat and the puppy fat (I'm 30) will soon go away.

In any case, I have a physical assessment tonight with a PTI - run the 1.5m in 14min etc - I'm confident I can do the physical side of things (I train 3 times a week with a PTI and play squash twice a week) but I'm looking for advice on what else I should do to demonstrate that whilst a fatty fat ******, I'm still fit and still losing a shed load of weight (it's one of the reasons I'm applying - I've lost 40kg already but have another 20 to shift).

ta

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

For a start, you shouldn't be doing any sort of physical assessment until you have passed the medical. If the doctor says you are not medically fit to train, then the PTI should not be training you!

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

There does actually exist a qualification that allows PTIs to take civilians on PT sessions. I know that most ACIOs will have someone with such a qual as they often run 'fitness clubs' to help prep candidates for Recruit Selection. Don't think there exists any scope to take Potential Recruits for anysort of Phys without it.

4. Is this true? I'm part of the recruiting team at my unit and this would help no end? i'm sure our pti would love another qual too;)

5. I'm sure this is the case, I know that on the Obstacle Course Instructors Course there is a module that allows the PTIs delivering the course to teach and supervise civillians on them. We have to do it. Thus, I'm pretty sure there is a module that allows PTIs to work with civillians on all things PT.

That said, I think RP may have missed the point. If he's not 'safe to train' - should he be training?

6. Good effort on losing the weight. I lost 50 kilos, put 8 back on and could now do with binning another 15 really. Worst case, show them your stretch marks :D

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

My bold: Who are you refering to, the PTI or the Potential Recruit?

If you meant that the PTI is not safe to conduct training, my point was that there exists the potential for him to do so. Albeit a rara avis in the TA to be honest.

If you meant that PR is not safe to undergo pyhsical activity, the decision as to whether he should participate or not is up to the individual (although the PTI can refuse to train or stop the activity if he feels that the PR is in risk) and the PTI will will be covered against liability by the relevant qualification which was designed for exactly this scenario. Moreover, it is designed to build PRs up for the specific PRRR tests as well as for general fitness.