Photoshop Vs ?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by RedLeg_1011, Oct 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had recently decided to purchase a legal copy of Photoshop CS4, and then saw it has a price tag of £4-500, which is far to steep for my pocket . Is there a decent equivalent that is user friendly, upgradeable and doesn’t cost the earth?
    Thanks

2. Pm me I have a 'backup copy' I could sort for you

3. msr

msr LE

• Like Like x 1
  4. you could try software4students dot co dot uk if you (or anyone you know) is a student. Adobe verification is required and it takes a little while to process, but it is significantly cheaper than buying the usual way. I would offer my CS4 as I am going to get one of the CS5 packages, but he CD is in a container 12000 miles away with the rest of my kit :-(

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Go for Photoshop Elements instead...about £40 not £400...it has most of the same tools and ability of the full version, but just lacks the pro end stuff.

I use it and it's great (I did get a free legal copy otherwise I'd probably use GIMP).

S_R

6. I use Photoshop Elements 8, which is able to meet my needs.

7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

What he said - fantastic piece of software & what we use to do most of the graphics on here ..... which may not be such a recommendation!

Best thing about it is that it is 100% free......

8. Elements for me too. Due to upgrade shortly, just in time for Elements 9.

Another worth looking at is Corel PaintShop Photo Pro. About the same price as Elements and often gets good reviews in the mags. If you are not used to either of them then maybe you could have a look at both to decide which would suit you best.

Q.

9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

no -one here use Irfanview? but then, all I tend to do with my pictures is crop, resize and change them to b&w.

10. Yep I'd say go for Photoshop Elements 9. I bought Elements 7 two year's ago and it's very good for editing RAW photo files and then adjusting cropping, lighting and sharpness.

11. All mentioned have their good points,and do certain things well. I use Paintshop Pro 7,and 8,Elements 2,and 5.

I also have paint.NET,and Microsoft ICE,which I use for different things,lacing a panorama is quicker using Elements 2 than it is using 5,etc.

As stated the later Elements are ideal for manipulating RAW format images.

12. The problem with this, is that Adobe prohibit ANY commercial use of work done in student license products.

Fair enough, in a photo you'll struggle to get caught. But it's worth mentioning. An old flatmate of mine graduated in multimedia production and went on to produce a lot of Flash work. He completely forgot that the CS3 system he had was on a student license. He got stung my a customer who just needed a small £100 job, who was actually an Adobe investigator, taken to court, and based on his hundreds-of-jobs-on-student-license, was made to cough up considerably more money than it would have cost him to buy a non-student version. AND THEN he had to cough up for a full license too. Damn!

Even worse are Waves Audio. You have to pay them £1500 a year to get the software updates that everyone else releases for free. And they hire studios out for a day at a time so they can spend 'spies' in (usually young female vocalists) to check the computer for licenses whilst the studio engineer is making a cup of tea. Brutal.

13. I use GIMP for graphics on my retail website. I think maybe though you left out an important piece of information if you want a recommendation:

What do you want/need to do with the program?

Photoshop is the best, but if you just want to re-size, crop, paste layers together, etc- there is no need to spend even a dollar when GIMP does that stuff. But do you need filters, effects, brushes, hardware compatibility, etc?

14. Since posting his initial RFI he has died.