Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Photos that make you think.

In the early days I wanted to die several times, just couldn’t see a way ahead, but I’ve kids and I’m still their dad regardless of my injuries, not only that not a day goes past where I think how lucky I am. A great many people lost their lives in Afghanistan, some of them my friends, I owe it to them to crack on, because I know their families would swap with me tomorrow, regardless of the injuries, just so they could see their loved one again.

I salute you and all the others that suffered.

If you keep this up I shall have to slap the wife due to the build up of dust here.

Dingerr i shall stop whining about my tinnitus immediately. made me think.
Point to note - Other people's conditions/injuries/illnesses in no way diminish one's own, or their impact on one's quality of life. A difficult concept to grasp, given the extent/severity of Dingerr's.

I'm in awe of him but I'm still f*cked.

Point to note - Other people's conditions/injuries/illnesses in no way diminish one's own, or their impact on one's quality of life. A difficult concept to grasp, given the extent/severity of Dingerr's.

I'm in awe of him but I'm still f*cked.

You’re absolutely right, injuries and issues are very personal. As I say to some people, i don’t hold a monopoly on injuries, I’m just a major share holder.

I'd hazard a guess that the list would include Halifax, the former Edward the VIII, and a lot of the other highest ranking members of the aristocracy. If you got a picture of all the lords, ladies, sirs and so on, and chucked some darts at it, you'd be hard-pressed not to hit a sympathizer with at least every other shot.
I can't help myself, maybe it's overexposure, but when I read that I couldn't help thinking about the pro-EU remain streak in the current HoL.

You’re absolutely right, injuries and issues are very personal. As I say to some people, i don’t hold a monopoly on injuries, I’m just a major share holder.

Thanks Dingerr. I wasn't meaning about me but having read some stories on other forums, it seems that a lot of worried/vulnerable/sad people can put off seeking help because they compare their own symptoms with others' and imagine they're less worthy of it.

Think . . . this is what a politician used to be.

10462699.jpg
Odd that somebody who advocated gassing recalcitrant Arabs, something we're exceptionally cross about nowadays, is so often held up as the 'greatest ever Briton'

There was a thing on Saturday Review just now about a woman called Marina Amaral. She is famous for colourising B&W photographs.

There is a good four minute video of her work on her web page. Lots of military pics. Here:

About

Some people argue that this is disrespectful of history but I disagree. The B&W photos are there for posterity and historical accuracy but I think the colourising adds a vibrancy.

I also wonder if the colourised pictures are more appealing to the younger population who can not grasp the concept of B&W (doubly so if there are subtitles!).
Even for those of us that grew up with black and white telly and watched lots of black and white films, colour seems to bring those photos and films closer. The clear divide in technology and time is reduced. (Staged stuff can look a bit weird though due to the make up used to enhance contrast and amplify expressions in early films).

Odd that somebody who advocated gassing recalcitrant Arabs, something we're exceptionally cross about nowadays, is so often held up as the 'greatest ever Briton'
You have been reading the Grauniad again...

Give your head a wobble..!

Churchill authorised the manufacture of Phosgene and Mustard as well as Anthrax in the Second world war, but never used them.. War gases were used by both sides in WW1.

You have been reading the Grauniad again...

Give your head a wobble..!

Churchill authorised the manufacture of Phosgene and Mustard as well as Anthrax in the Second world war, but never used them.. War gases were used by both sides in WW1.
I don't read any papers.

Churchill advocated gassing recalcitrant Arabs. The reason they weren't gassed is because someone high up in the RAF explained that we didn't have a suitable delivery system.

Are you denying that such a thing happened?

View attachment 331656

Hope the mods don’t mind a cock shot.
Horrific injuries man you must have a fantastic mental attitude to not only survive them but to carry on with your life.
Not meaning to offend but looking at that photo reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I worked with a bloke who had an above the knee amputaion he joined some sort of an agency and when needed he works on movies depicting casualties getting limbs blown off. He wouldn't say how much he was paid but did say it was worthwhile money wise and was good fun.

These days a Black copper passes unnoticed thank god

but PC Norwell Gumbs was the Mets first black police officer
here he is in 1968 directing traffic

View attachment 331753

Norwell was Born in Anguilla in the West Indies,
He had Police in his bloodline as well
His Grandfather was a Police Sergeant, ans three uncles were High Ranking Police Officers
He Enlisted on the Same day as Paul Condon who went on to become a met police commissioner ( and went to his leaving party)
He was Awarded the Queens Police Medal for his services
An old friend of mine served with him, and said that in spite of a great deal of racism and nasty comments, he refused to sink to their level and became a fine Police officer and later a Detective
He retired with the Rank of Detective Sergeant after 30 years service
Has the Home Office managed to deport him yet?

Horrific injuries man you must have a fantastic mental attitude to not only survive them but to carry on with your life.
Not meaning to offend but looking at that photo reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I worked with a bloke who had an above the knee amputaion he joined some sort of an agency and when needed he works on movies depicting casualties getting limbs blown off. He wouldn't say how much he was paid but did say it was worthwhile money wise and was good fun.

I know a few amputees who make their living acting such parts. You’ve just got to get on with life with the cards you are dealt.

In the early days I wanted to die several times, just couldn’t see a way ahead, but I’ve kids and I’m still their dad regardless of my injuries, not only that not a day goes past where I think how lucky I am. A great many people lost their lives in Afghanistan, some of them my friends, I owe it to them to crack on, because I know their families would swap with me tomorrow, regardless of the injuries, just so they could see their loved one again.

Fair play to you dingerr.

whenever you post anything like the earlier pics I can never make up my mind if you're lucky or unlucky, but thinking about it I don't really believe in luck so it just is what it is. Either way you've dealt with the consequences bravely and are an example of incredible resilience.

it might sound like a pat statement but I'm regularly grateful (although I'm not sure who or what to) to have come through herrick unharmed. I read the GQ article and spent a bit of time thinking about it. I didn't have any kids when I deployed but do now* and it's difficult to contemplate how else things might have worked out. You shouldn't really be alive so the fact you're here for your family now and for your kids as they go their own way is a miracle.

*if I didn't have kids it would've taken me about 1/5 of the time to type this

In a thread titled "Photos that make you think", the image posted by @dingerr is going to be hard to beat. It makes me think how fortunate I am, and that if many circumstances had been different, that could have been me (or any one of many others). Thank you for posting it. When a sense of perspective is needed, I'll be thinking of that.