Photos that make you think.

Why he's still dead. Someone asked Hilary about this and his reply was "If you climb a mountain for the first time and die on the descent, is it really a complete first ascent of the mountain? I am rather inclined to think personally that maybe it is quite important, the getting down, and the complete climb of a mountain is reaching the summit and getting safely to the bottom again". Mallory's son agreed with this view.
I think even Mallory himself agreed with this. I'll try and find the book I read it in, but suggest you don't hold your breath! :)

I think even Mallory himself agreed with this. I'll try and find the book I read it in, but suggest you don't hold your breath! :)
Only yesterday I returned this book to the library, and the said quote was stated.

After Everest : inside the private world of Edmund Hillary. Author Paul Little.

I would imagine he did, any sane mountaineer would. It's shame he didn't get down, successfully or not. Are they still looking for Irving.

They were very popular I believe ze Jermanz also made a copy of it, perhaps a more knowledgeable arrser can confirm that.
The Germans made 9mm barrels for the standard PPsh-41 and these were either issued to unit or depot armourers to refit standard guns and the guns were marked for 9mm, including on the drum. One armourer is recorded as having accepted 4,000 9mm barrels for his depot to refit guns. The 7.62 mm gun was assigned one of those numbers for captured armaments as the MPi 717 (r). One modification was to adapt the reciever to accept the MP 40 magazine, but this was less common. Often, the standard drum was used as it had enough room to accept a 9mm x 19 round, but this was a cagey move as the build quality of drums varied widely. It was regarded as so common an event to use Papashas, that no-one paid a blind bit of difference, except that it could draw friendly fire.

My googling has revealed that the image is genuine, surprisingly,but was actually taken by the Deep Space Climate Observatory, lying around a million km from earth.

NASA Has Photographed The Dark Side of the Moon

So the only inaccuracy was that it was taken by another satellite.

Apologies for the Photoshop comments @Nimbus
My bad. I used the picture in a presentation a while back and ‘misremembered ‘ the source...

Edit: got you all thinking though

Why he's still dead. Someone asked Hilary about this and his reply was "If you climb a mountain for the first time and die on the descent, is it really a complete first ascent of the mountain? I am rather inclined to think personally that maybe it is quite important, the getting down, and the complete climb of a mountain is reaching the summit and getting safely to the bottom again". Mallory's son agreed with this view.

Maybe he was on his way back up to retrieve a misplaced camera?

something to do with the altitude and dry air, and the fact the was covered with a cairn for some time
That was the photograph taken on finding the body. His buttocks had been eaten by Himalayan Ravens and they had also eviscerated the gut. However, the musculature of the back was still firm and the skin was like leather but white as marble. The body was face down with arms extended, the left was exposed and the right buried in the ice and rock. They found the right leg had both tibia and fibula broken.

They search group initially thought they had found Irvine until they found a clothing label marked with Mallory's name. Wrapped around the waist was a braided cord of cotton rope that was frayed from which they deduced that the climbers had not separated voluntarily or succumbed to the elements together.

The cairn was erected by the initial group to find the body but was removed some 14 days later when some of them returned to the body. However, they did replace the cairn when they left.

There are some 17 corpses in the same area where Mallory's body was found and 2 of them are very close. They have no cairns to mark their final resting places.

This, or a copy, is on the wall at the rear of one of the Shankill pubs.
As I was treating the place like an art gallery one morning, a well dressed mature drinker asked me "can you see the IRA man?"
I examined it again, and eventually smiled as I noticed a rat added at the bottom right on the street by the broken bottles
Actually a mouse, which was Cuneo's "trademark"

I was in WH Smith and stumbled across a book called Weird War One, a couple of images struck a chord with me:

The Brewster Body Shield or Brewster Body Armor was the first effective body armor developed for the United States Army in World War I, designed by Dr. Guy Otis Brewster from Dover, New Jersey. During World War I, the United States developed several types of body armor, including the chrome nickel steel Brewster Body Shield, which consisted of a breastplate and a headpiece and could withstand .303 British bullets at 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s), but was clumsy and heavy at 40 lb (18 kg). A scaled waistcoat of overlapping steel scales fixed to a leather lining was also designed; this armor weighed 11 lb (5.0 kg), fit close to the body, and was considered more comfortable.

Brewster Body Armour:

And the Human Squirrel who climbed to "dizzy" heights to raise money for the benefit of War Relief Funds, here in Times Square.

I was in WH Smith and stumbled across a book called Weird War One, a couple of images struck a chord with me:

The Brewster Body Shield or Brewster Body Armor was the first effective body armor developed for the United States Army in World War I, designed by Dr. Guy Otis Brewster from Dover, New Jersey. During World War I, the United States developed several types of body armor, including the chrome nickel steel Brewster Body Shield, which consisted of a breastplate and a headpiece and could withstand .303 British bullets at 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s), but was clumsy and heavy at 40 lb (18 kg). A scaled waistcoat of overlapping steel scales fixed to a leather lining was also designed; this armor weighed 11 lb (5.0 kg), fit close to the body, and was considered more comfortable.

Brewster Body Armour:

Ned Kelly walt.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2