Photos that make you think.

My father told me that in Burma, more than half the fighting force were Indian Sikhs Ghurkha's, & Burmese local militia. He believes that without them the war against the Japs would have been lost. At 91, the recollections of his war are still crystal clear. He will not hear of a bad word said against them.
And two divisions of Africans mainly from Nigeria, Sierra Leone and the Gambia.

A wog was originally used to describe a "wily oriental gentleman" but seemed to include everyone from Calais eastward a few years ago.
As a book reviewer you must surely know that in "The thoughts of chairman Alf" he unequivocally states that "wogs begin at Calais".

Just as a complete change. For those of us who still have children at school.
View attachment 321988
A head lice clinging to a single strand of human hair.

Slight thread drift, but I think still in the spirit of the conversation. When our daughter was at infants school, back in 83, they had the nit nurse come in once a week, so for a laugh, I sat her down, and parted the crown of her hair, and with a architects pen inscribed the numbers 666 on the bald spot. The next day I got the full story. It seems that the nit nurse was of afro Caribbean decent, very religious, gospel choir the works, and on parting my daughters hair, and seeing the numbers of the great beast, tripped out, big time, shouting and screaming, totally thru a track. No sense of humour some people. ......... I got a letter from the school.

Slight thread drift, but I think still in the spirit of the conversation. When our daughter was at infants school, back in 83, they had the nit nurse come in once a week, so for a laugh, I sat her down, and parted the crown of her hair, and with a architects pen inscribed the numbers 666 on the bald spot. The next day I got the full story. It seems that the nit nurse was of afro Caribbean decent, very religious, gospel choir the works, and on parting my daughters hair, and seeing the numbers of the great beast, tripped out, big time, shouting and screaming, totally thru a track. No sense of humour some people. ......... I got a letter from the school.
Along similar lines when my little boy was about 5 he got glasses due to his eyes pointing in different direction at the same time. Using a lumie colour pen I put a crosshair on one lence. He thought it was funny, his mother had a sense of humour failure.

Along similar lines when my little boy was about 5 he got glasses due to his eyes pointing in different direction at the same time. Using a lumie colour pen I put a crosshair on one lence. He thought it was funny, his mother had a sense of humour failure.
love it, only dads can see the funny side, mums are too protective, and you have a story your lad can tell your grandchildren, thanks for posting, I thought I was on my own.

Eldest daughter came home from school in tears having been told not to tell lies. Apparently she had told everyone that she had flown to Wales in a helicopter for the weekend with her mother. I was not impressed.
I got a nice big photo of the helicopter in question signed by the pilot with a personal note and told her to give it to the teacher. To be fair though when it came to plausible deniabilty she made the CIA look like amateurs.

Did the machine guns not shoot 'along' the line rather than the Hollywood style perpendicular? By doing so they exposed their fire to a greater number of troops.
As can be seen in the clip the French are in depth as they advance ... the use of flanking fire was in use long before the Machine Gun era and I would imagine by the time of WW1 many Nations would have developed to a fine art the effective deployment of such weapons to maximise casualties in a killing zone .

I realise that the military commanders had a lot to get to grips with in WWI (machine guns, gas, aircraft, submarines, tanks and all the other products of the first industrialised war) but I sometimes wonder if they had any idea of what they were making their soldiers do?

I know they weren’t all Donkeys feeding the Lions into the meat grinder but were they fighting an earlier Imperial war.

They surely could not have seen or understood the carnage resulting from men marching through mud into HMG fire and artillery.

I realise that the military commanders had a lot to get to grips with in WWI (machine guns, gas, aircraft, submarines, tanks and all the other products of the first industrialised war) but I sometimes wonder if they had any idea of what they were making their soldiers do?

I know they weren’t all Donkeys feeding the Lions into the meat grinder but were they fighting an earlier Imperial war.

They surely could not have seen or understood the carnage resulting from men marching through mud into HMG fire and artillery.
To put things simply, with the calibre of recruits & the complexities of using rolling barrages etc there wasn't much alternative to walking (they didn't in actuality) across no mans land. They had to maintain unit cohesion somehow.

It's very surprising exactly how many senior officers went into the trenches , sustained injuries and or were killed doing so. There are discussions on this site about that subject.

(edited because my phone has some interesting autocorrect suggestions)

Last edited:

IMHO the military commanders (especially us Brits) performed extraordinary miracles. The British army went from c.200k colonial troops to c.3-5 million total industrial war troops in, what, six months to a year?

The weapons systems and tactics changed continuously and dramatically; commanders were having to adapt in weeks to changes that a modern peacetime army might instil over a leisurely 5-10 year career plot.

The allied commanders were also locked into an impossible strategic task. We the Brits were on highly disadvantageous vital ground (the Ypres salient) that could not be given up, the Frenchies had a huge slice of their country under enemy occupation. The allies had to try and push, the Germans had the luxury of idle defence. The unique time frame - defence at its zenith, assault at its nadir (ie no mech) - dictated the battle outcomes, almost regardless of tactics employed.

The "commanders" weren't of course just leftover colonial warriors. Huge numbers of fighting officers rose to high rank - as they had to in the vast expansion of the army (and its dreadful casualty lists). Men like Jack went from captain to Brigadier in three years. If you read his biography (""General Jack's Diary") you can see how he took combat experience into staff work, as they all did.

Ironically, even Max Hastings fluffs this point in his otherwise excellent "Catastropher, 1914", about the origins of the war. Recounting the Battle of Mons et al, he takes a typical snipe at all the commanders (both sides) for being mediocre. However, a chapter or so later he has to admit that it was not surprising, given that none of them had ever fought a multi-million man total war before....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr ARRSE: Site Issues 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 37
F Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2