Photos that make you think.

He would.
Actually the lecturer never blamed Churchill, nor the British. He never even blamed the Japanese. The causes of the famine to him were purely economic and that was the general belief among economists at the time.

There is a phrase used in economics, ceteris paribus, all other things remaining equal, which allows you to ignore the elephant in the room. It was things like this, along with the pro Exchange Rate Mechanism propaganda that was being pushed at us (despite the lessons of economic history being that fixed exchange rates never work), that led to me becoming extremely disillusioned with my choice of degree.

I love people like that and hope he is smashing it!! I love Lino Ritchie - is it me you're looking floor ???? Saw him on the M3
pushing a wheelbarrow?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
IMG_20220623_120924.jpg

I'm old enough to remember steam engine drawn trains and love the sound and smells.

However do we have the required volumes and distribution means to keep them stocked with high quality coal? I'm guessing that water should not be such a problem although the water halts that were needed on the long distance routes must be long gone.

Edit to add - sat too long before hitting send :-( beaten to it by @ex_colonial
Still present and servicable in NI between Belfast and Portrush. At least at Ballymena. EDIT Used by the Railway Preservation people to run the Portrush Flyer.

Last edited:
The boat looks huge, it is, but not inside.
The streamlining over the pressure hull is substantially larger; the pressure hull itself is quite thick; and the lowest deck tends to be full of tanks and batteries.

ETA: the streamlining (called the casing in British service) is designed to make a modern submarine hydrodynamically efficient while submerged, whereas most WW1 and WW2 submarines were designed to run better on the surface. The pressure hull tends to be cylindrical, because it's the strongest shape for the task. The casing typically covers over ballast tanks - outside the pressure hull as full of water at depth - and the various suctions and other hull penetrations.

Submarines are fascinating beasties for the design alone!

FETA: anything you want to get at while dived has to be inside the pressure hull. This includes your fuel and fresh water! For some larger submarines (or very deep divers), the casing may cover multiple interconnected pressure hulls. The Russian Typhoons do this.

Last edited:
Actually the lecturer never blamed Churchill, nor the British. He never even blamed the Japanese. The causes of the famine to him were purely economic and that was the general belief among economists at the time.

There is a phrase used in economics, ceteris paribus, all other things remaining equal, which allows you to ignore the elephant in the room. It was things like this, along with the pro Exchange Rate Mechanism propaganda that was being pushed at us (despite the lessons of economic history being that fixed exchange rates never work), that led to me becoming extremely disillusioned with my choice of degree.
My professor in Political Science told a tutorial class that it didn't matter what you studied because the whole purpose of studying at university was to teach you to think critically. From your post I suggest that it succeeded admirably in your case.

My professor in Political Science told a tutorial class that it didn't matter what you studied because the whole purpose of studying at university was to teach you to think critically. From your post I suggest that it succeeded admirably in your case.
Yes. Well done you.

Thank you for your kind words, but that was thirty years ago when we were free to think critically and to go against the orthodoxy. Try it now and your P45 will be in the post.

Back In Time

Clanker
I would guess that photo is in Munich or maybe pre war Berlin. Doubtful it was taken in 2010, especially if it claims to be Berlin.
I agree with the above & thanks for the interest.

Giving the problem some more thought, I'm willing to give the Deviant Art poster a bit more leeway.
"Found in the city" could mean the photo itself. Maybe found in a Bric o Brac shop, or a junk stall, a Flea Market, etc.
So not taken in 2010 after all.
Possibly my bad.

After doing lots of googling around, I think it is possible these gates may not have made it past 1925-35.
It was the NSDAP themselves which banned the Thule Society around these dates.
They expunged all traces of the organisation, Too many reminders of their roots, me thinks.

On the good news front, I may have some information regarding the statues above the gates.
With this being the Thule Society, then those are Greek Icons, that is certain.
Sometimes its easy to mis-gender Greek Deities, however I would say they are both female. They also look very similar, these are two big clues.
I think these are statues of the Mother & Daughter Combo, Demeter and Persephone.
(Some forum members getting more interested here).
Demeter was the goddess of the harvest, (see all the produce under the arch). Also notice the two gargoyles, which may be a representation of Hades into which Persephone is taken.
This is all a bit of a reach I know, but I think its a good shout.

How does all this help us to ID where the gates are, or were ?
It doesn't.

If wiki is to be believed, telling us their main HQ was indeed Berlin, then all we need is one piece of documentation with an address.
There must be something out there.

A video rather than a photo but quite interesting. The last peacetime voyage of the Ionian in 1939. Ionian belonged to the Ellerman Papayanni Line, I sailed on a couple of their ships myself in the '70's on a similar run down the meddi, not so much of an RN presence by then but we did deliver a lot of NAFFI stores and things for the forces in Malta and Cyprus.

Doris.png

The inside of Nurse Benjamin's Cape

Doris Benjamin’s Cape
<<

Doris Benjamin was born and raised in North East London. Doris trained as a nurse at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Tottenham before serving in hospitals in England during the Second World War. Between 1944 and 1945, she worked at the Military Hospital in Shaftesbury and the St. Bartholomew Medical Service Hospital – where she began to collect the many badges that we find on nurse’s cape today.

This cape formed part of Benjamin’s uniform and was worn to identify her specific role. The inside of the cape is decorated with 177 regimental badges. These badges are called formation signs, used by the army to easily identify to which regiments soldiers belonged. Doris Benjamin was given these badges by the wounded soldiers she treated, as a sign of gratitude for her service. There are many stories of nurses during war would competing to get the most formation signs from the soldiers they treated.
>>

Source:
Jewish MIlitary Museum, London

Dear God!! Not again!
...Well I'll mention it if nobody else will.... The flag is upside down...!

Why is it people can't get this right?!

The purple stripe goes at the top...

Or maybe it's deliberate and it's a call for help from a queer in distress? Can't undo the bondage gear but can raise a flag...

Yokel

LE
Here is a really nasty one:

Jordan-gas-port-accident.jpg

It is the chemical leak in the Jordanian port of Aqaba when a tank full of Chlorine or a chemical containing Chlorine was being craned onto a merchant ship and it was accidentally dropped.

The stuff on nightmares, as there is little you can do to protect yourself as a crew member or dock worker.

Dear God!! Not again!
...Well I'll mention it if nobody else will.... The flag is upside down...!

Why is it people can't get this right?!

The purple stripe goes at the top...

Or maybe it's deliberate and it's a call for help from a queer in distress? Can't undo the bondage gear but can raise a flag...
Richard Of York Gained Battle In Vain.

It's the right way up unless you lack observational skills

Richard Of York Gained Battle In Vain.

It's the right way up unless you lack observational skills
pride1.jpg

ETA... it was one of those posts that came across better in my head than it did when I posted it from my phone.... You were meant to do a double take on the Union Flag when I said it was upside down as that's the regular complaint about waving our flag.... Never mind. Back under my rock....

View attachment 673387
The inside of Nurse Benjamin's Cape

Doris Benjamin’s Cape
<<

Doris Benjamin was born and raised in North East London. Doris trained as a nurse at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Tottenham before serving in hospitals in England during the Second World War. Between 1944 and 1945, she worked at the Military Hospital in Shaftesbury and the St. Bartholomew Medical Service Hospital – where she began to collect the many badges that we find on nurse’s cape today.

This cape formed part of Benjamin’s uniform and was worn to identify her specific role. The inside of the cape is decorated with 177 regimental badges. These badges are called formation signs, used by the army to easily identify to which regiments soldiers belonged. Doris Benjamin was given these badges by the wounded soldiers she treated, as a sign of gratitude for her service. There are many stories of nurses during war would competing to get the most formation signs from the soldiers they treated.
>>

Source:
Jewish MIlitary Museum, London

The late Swordman, formerly of this patch, was a patient at Shaftsbury Military Hospital in 1944 or 1945. I wonder if they ever met?

The late Swordman, formerly of this patch, was a patient at Shaftsbury Military Hospital in 1944 or 1945. I wonder if they ever met?
I miss his dits. D-Day man, I believe.

Latest Threads