Photos that make you think.

DockStrike.png

"One banana only"
<<
Marines enjoy a banana for lunch whilst helping to unload a cargo of Canary bananas from the Norwegian ship 'SS Bajamar' during a strike at Canary Wharf, West India Dock, London. Sailors and Marines were called in that day, to unload the cargo in the ships in the London Docks. (Photo by Harry Todd/Fox Photos/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

In JUNE 1948 London portworkers went on strike, after a number of them were suspended from work for claiming the usual special payment for handling zinc oxide.
Particularly hard or unpleasant jobs were often paid at a special higher rate
>>

View attachment 634618
"One banana only"
<<
Marines enjoy a banana for lunch whilst helping to unload a cargo of Canary bananas from the Norwegian ship 'SS Bajamar' during a strike at Canary Wharf, West India Dock, London. Sailors and Marines were called in that day, to unload the cargo in the ships in the London Docks. (Photo by Harry Todd/Fox Photos/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

In JUNE 1948 London portworkers went on strike, after a number of them were suspended from work for claiming the usual special payment for handling zinc oxide.
Particularly hard or unpleasant jobs were often paid at a special higher rate
>>

Ok, after 'three' let's all say "3 PARA mortars".

Yokel

LE

I saw this on my LinkedIn feed - where other people commented on a cucumber going well with flowers and chocolates. I suppose you could have a romantic salad for two, but I thought of the single woman having to entertain herself.

It makes me think of seeing a girl I knew rubbing her fingers over a cucumber whilst looking absent.

Last edited:

I saw this on my LinkedIn feed - where other people commented on a cucumber going well with flowers and chocolates. I suppose you could have a romantic salad for two, but I thought of the single woman having to entertain herself.

Lettuce hope it doesn’t come to that…….

1643391402983.png

Elephant strike!

The dangers of air to air filming during the making of Dumbo.

I bet that was a brown trouser moment on the flight deck.
Yep.
Fortunately the borate cargo/ballast was blown out of the back of the aircraft as rear door blew open and they could recover:

The high-speed dive had to be flown at the maximum gross takeoff weight of the aircraft. The crew had prided themselves in being resourceful and had arranged to borrow thirty thousand pounds of borate in one-hundred-pound sacks from a chemical dealer in Mojave. As the tearing, shredding metal from the nose blew aft inside the mammoth interior, the flying slivers ripped holes in the paper sacks of borate powder. The whole interior, including the cockpit, was filled with a swirling cloud of powdered borate by the slipstream being rammed into her.
The inspection hatches and access doors blew out in the tail section, and this relieved the immense internal air pressure that had been threatening to blow the ship apart. The haze of borate also was whisked away by the rushing air.

Yep.
Fortunately the borate cargo/ballast was blown out of the back of the aircraft as rear door blew open and they could recover:

The high-speed dive had to be flown at the maximum gross takeoff weight of the aircraft. The crew had prided themselves in being resourceful and had arranged to borrow thirty thousand pounds of borate in one-hundred-pound sacks from a chemical dealer in Mojave. As the tearing, shredding metal from the nose blew aft inside the mammoth interior, the flying slivers ripped holes in the paper sacks of borate powder. The whole interior, including the cockpit, was filled with a swirling cloud of powdered borate by the slipstream being rammed into her.
The inspection hatches and access doors blew out in the tail section, and this relieved the immense internal air pressure that had been threatening to blow the ship apart. The haze of borate also was whisked away by the rushing air.

Imagine if the cargo being blown around the cab was cocaine.

I was thinking more of how ingesting that amount of Charlie would be detrimental to their long term health.
Not sure that Borate powder is great either.

Summary: Borate (borax) is a mineral salt of boric acid and a very effective insecticide and wood preservative. It can be used as a powder, incorporated into baits, or applied to directly building materials.

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt
This is a bit sad…Photo of the first female war correspondent killed in Vietnam. Her name is Dickey Chappelle, booby trap near chu lai, south vietnam. Died of blood loss. Getting the last rites but i think i woulda been trying to stop the blood loss eh

Attachments

• 84DC6336-5364-4BAF-BC83-3043797E9984.jpeg
    84DC6336-5364-4BAF-BC83-3043797E9984.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 316

4(T)

LE
This is a bit sad…Photo of the first female war correspondent killed in Vietnam. Her name is Dickey Chappelle, booby trap near chu lai, south vietnam. Died of blood loss. Getting the last rites but i think i woulda been trying to stop the blood loss eh

IIRC her carotid artery was severed - so dead almost instantly. Certainly beyond help by the time the photo was taken.

Chef

LE
Why waste taxpayer's money taking them down?

Tha' never knows when tha'll need trolleybuses again ^~

- - - -
Stonkernote: I used to know a bunch of lovely folk from Bradford - some of them stunning young ladies - but (Dear God In Heaven!!) that Bradford accent has to be the nation's most efficient passion-killer
Kiki Dee born in Bradford, a while back, but rather fanciable in her prime, and a nice voice:

Reference a recent discussion - Marines with M14s, 11/65.

Latest Threads