Photos that make you think.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
23B23729-4B42-462E-B25F-290CF4C15CF2.jpeg

Yes.
But if there is any element of doubt, life in prison.
Back when they still hanged folk in Britain, only the chaps who were 'bang to rights' got the rope dance.
Utter, utter rubbish.

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
I seem to recall that when the Germans paraded PoWs through France towns for propaganda purposes, they bunged the frogs a few bob to spit and slap them.
Plus ca change as Aristotle probably didn't write.
It was done many sources say as a response to the Russki "Operation Grand Waltz", where they picked the fittest 60,000 German prisoners they had (before later starving / working 400,000 odd of them to death) , fed them a bit and then marched them through Moscow, washing the streets afterwards.

Last edited:
Tragic.

Pity it wasn’t flattened.
In this instance it may be worth considering cutting the Dom a little slack given the stance of the Bishop of Münster, Clemens August Graf Von Galen, who was one of the few who actually spoke out against the Nazis.

See his Wlkki page here for a little more information.

I do however have absolutely no problem with the military instillations in and around the city being bombed, especially Münster-Handorf which provided night fighters attacking the RAF thus threatening my father going about his lawful business overhead.

Murray Walker meeting his Father, somewhere near The Rhine, 1945.
Murray-Walker-in-the-Second-World-War-527495.jpg

Didn’t one of his OC’s assume he was from an aristocratic family and therefore “ one of us”, before Murray had to inform him that Murray Walker was his whole name, not his surname.!
edit, mr walker senior was a factory rider/ racer for Rudge ( I think)
prewar.

Last edited:
Didn’t one of his OC’s assume he was from an aristocratic family and therefore “ one of us”, before Murray had to inform him that Murray Walker was his whole name, not his surname.!
edit, mr walker senior was a factory rider/ racer for Rudge ( I think)
prewar.
Yes, one of the tales I recall from his book "Unless I am very much mistaken".

Another interesting tale is mentioned in his Wikipedia entry- He didn't ever pass a UK driving test, having got his license to drive tanks in the war, it was thought to be sufficient for all vehicles thereafter.

It was done many sources say as a response to the Russki "Operation Grand Waltz", where they picked the fittest 60,000 German prisoners they had (before later starving / working 400,000 odd of them to death) , fed them a bit and then marched them through Moscow, washing the streets afterwards.

An interesting lack of any SS Senior Officers in the footage of the conquered.

When I popped inside a museum Vulcan, I thought the pilots had less space than the front of my Mini, with a lot more dials!

View attachment 615599
CRJnjGQWwAAlB1p
I used to go out to the ulster aviation (well worth a visit) pre covid nonsense.
Anyway there is a rear gunners turret on display, I thought I'd try and sit in it ,..at 5'10" 13 stone wearing jeans and a shirt it was absolutely impossible.
Htf did they do it back in the day? And the noise must have driven them mad.

Bordon/hants

Old-Salt
French ''Collaborator'' shot by Frenchmen who could not bother to shoot germans, sort of like how brave they were beating up women
They were good at handcuffing up captured Germans and burning them alive in ambulances as well in front of a crowd, .......then legging it when the massive sheissenstorm broke in the nearest town

No panic.

Of course, it leads on to why a bunch of British/Commonwealth troops are pulling through a German gun?

Was it turned on its original owners?
The Allies would often use captured German artillery.

1639075376747.png

1639075411342.png

Latest Threads