Photos that make you think.

Excellent phot.

There's probably a treasure map or at the very least some gold doubloons down there.

Scuffed knees, dirty finger nails and your faithful friend looking on.
I bet they have a box of matches and a penknife each as well.
Brilliant photo and commentary. And if it was me, as well as the penknife, there’d be a dead mouse on a string.

Brilliant photo and commentary. And if it was me, as well as the penknife, there’d be a dead mouse on a string.
Don't forget the essential hanky

During one world cup, the england fans were singing the Dam busters March.
I laughed a bit, and some if my younger co workers asked what it was all about.
So, with pen and paper, I told the story of the dams, the bomb, the bouncing etc
They looked at me as if I were fibbing.
I suppose if you'd never heard the story before, it is a little far fetched.
Some years ago, SWMBO and I were holidaying at Beaulieu in the Dorgdogne. There is a lovely 12 century church in the square where in the summer, they hold concerts. We were seated in the square along with fellow Dutch and not a few few German campers. After a few local French songs, the brass band struck up the theme from The Great Escape. There was a spontaneous outburst of laughter from the Brits there and some of the Dutch but the Germans in the audience didn’t get it. You had to be there!

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
This was posted up recently on my home town Historical web page and made me smile! Just the sort of activity I got up to when I was a kid growing up in the 60’s. What on earth were we looking for? Pennywise perhaps? Social Media? You can keep it! :-D
View attachment 602680
Oh my! Memories!

Dicking about, just like that with my younger brother in the 60's. I would have been about eight years old, my brother six. I dropped the iron grating a bit early and chopped off a 1/2" section of his middle finger. It's now obviously shorter than the fingers either side of it. He wasn't that bothered after the screaming died down, but my Mother beat the living shit out of me.

Happy Daze!

Oh my! Memories!

Dicking about, just like that with my younger brother in the 60's. I would have been about eight years old, my brother six. I dropped the iron grating a bit early and chopped off a 1/2" section of his middle finger. It's now obviously shorter than the fingers either side of it. He wasn't that bothered after the screaming died down, but my Mother beat the living shit out of me.

Happy Daze!
Those drainage grates were heavy right enough. Making my eyes water just reading your post!

Chef

LE
Yes and No

The 1939 G.I. was better off then his 1918 counterpart

Better boots for one in the 1938 dismounted service shoes over the Pershing boots or British and French boots used by the AEF

The poorest issue kit was the Double buckle combat boot- rough out leather supposed to be dubbined for weatherproofing, but usually not done by the Joe as it made his feet sweat. It was almost a sponge for absorbing the wet leading to trenchfoot. Edited for brevity.
Interesting youtube article:

Oh my! Memories!

Happy Daze!

Went to an Army open day type of thing as a young fella. My older brother and i were checking out a tripod mounted mg (can't remember the type). My brother and I are chalk and cheese, he's very mechanical and I'm, umm, not. Brother is poking around to see how things work as i grab it for a bit of dakka dakka Hun smiting. I depress the gun to instant screaming. I almost cut his finger off. Rest of the day spent at the hospital.

Luckily he never mentions it.

Edit: Can remember the soldier looking after the gun being very calm and helpful.

colinmc400

Old-Salt
Went to an Army open day type of thing as a young fella. My older brother and i were checking out a tripod mounted mg (can't remember the type). My brother and I are chalk and cheese, he's very mechanical and I'm, umm, not. Brother is poking around to see how things work as i grab it for a bit of dakka dakka Hun smiting. I depress the gun to instant screaming. I almost cut his finger off. Rest of the day spent at the hospital.

Edit: Can remember the soldier looking after the gun being very calm and helpful.
Whereas my older brother is all sporty and i am mostly not, so i used to get away with murder, especially on the pitch and putt course, when several times i managed to clock him in the dial with a 5 iron, when i got all Happy Gilmour. I always suspected my Mother knew the truth, after about the 4th time!!

Below is a colourised photo from the remarkable work by Stuart Humphyes of BabelColour

EheF8qhWoAAVNj8

This photo could have been taken in 1850 (rifle aside) but in fact is a group of French territorials in 1914.
This makes me think that they and indeed we were totally unprepaired for the next 4 years.

Last edited:

syrup

LE

Mentioned on here before

When we were young we lived opposite the Army Barracks.
They had a mini confidence / assault (as it would have been then) and we used to sneak in and play on it
One day we got caught by a soldier.
Rather than turn us in he showed us how to "play" on it properly and then left us to it didn't even chastise us for lack of high viz vests

Great days of banging our heads and skinning knees followed with no issues from us.

Below is a colourised photo from the remarkable work by Stuart Humphyes of BabelColour

EheF8qhWoAAVNj8

This photo could have been taken in 1850 (rifle aside) but in fact is a group of French territorials in 1914.
This makes me think that they and indeed we were totally unprepaired for the next 4 years.

The French Army went into battle in 1914 in the same way they did in 1870, with massed infantry attacks and cavalry charges. French casualties in 1914 were actually higher than during the rest of the war.

August 22nd saw the highest death toll (27,000 French killed) for a single day's fighting during WW1:

August 22nd 1914

DSJ

LE
Not a photograph, apologies. Lost German girl somewhere on the Czech border. Clearly been treated brutally by somebody.

Not a photograph, apologies. Lost German girl somewhere on the Czech border. Clearly been treated brutally by somebody.

I know it's unlikely, but just like the British soldiers filmed on landing craft on d day, I'd love to know the history& what happened to these individuals

The French Army went into battle in 1914 in the same way they did in 1870, with massed infantry attacks and cavalry charges. French casualties in 1914 were actually higher than during the rest of the war.

August 22nd saw the highest death toll (27,000 French killed) for a single day's fighting during WW1:

August 22nd 1914
The Mobilization of French reservists in 1870 was an example of how not to do it.

Say you were a reservist and living in Metz. You had to travel to your regimental depot for equipping and back to the front. Some depots were in Algeria and Corsica and then men never made it back in time to their frontline units. Meanwhile the Prussians even had the railroad timetables figured out. French lesson learned for 1914

Latest Threads