Photos that make you think.

Crikey. I had genuinely never heard of this movement. I was aware there was initial opposition and resistance to the Nazis during their rise to power in the 30’s, but these young kids were active in the early 1940’s when they must have known the consequences. Tremendous bravery and the true meaning of the word heroic, rather than it’s over use in the modern world. RIP.
You should read Hans Fallada’s books, including ‘Alone in Berlin’. But all his books are good and a very interesting character.

Mine ex Reg & Blade too. When playing toy soldiers as a kid if he passed the 'battlefield' within the next 10 minutes my game would be bollocksed as i'd have had to re site my MG support teams, my mortars would have been moved back about 6 feet & the armoured spearhead attack I was just initiating would have been curtailed until the light armour had moved up into an overwatch position as well as some bazooka teams being pushed forward to take out any german armour that may lurk in the bushes substituted for the Ardennes forest.

I was Signals, we got beasted even while get a well done off the OC.
And they even took our sausage off us. RDs are meanies.

My dad had, at one point, been a despatch rider. So when we were bad he made us go and tell our mum.
Dad had been a despatch rider for his OC in the mornings ( which got him out of the morning parades and other such tomfoolery.)
Therefore my first experience of learning to ride a motorbike was not a sixteener moped, but a 350 Matchless trials ( age 7). Character building stuff, even with a decompressor !.

My Grandfather fought at the Somme. He would make stand 1000yds away, and stare at us.
Mine did too. He would make us walk very slowly up the garden while he lobbed fireworks at us.

Grandpa Heinrich was a rum 'un and no mistake.

syrup

LE
Mine did too. He would make us walk very slowly up the garden while he lobbed fireworks at us.

Grandpa Heinrich was a rum 'un and no mistake.

I asked Grandma Helga if she'd ever seen Grandpa Heinrich really angry .

Twice she replied

Once in '44 when the gas bill came in and March '45 when the builders quote from Dresden arrived

I asked Grandma Helga if she'd ever seen Grandpa Heinrich really angry .

Twice she replied

Once in '44 when the gas bill came in and March '45 when the builders quote from Dresden arrived
He used to just sit and stare at the remains of our bacon. I once asked him what he was doing.

He said, "Wacht am Rind."

Latest Threads