Photos that make you think.

I grew up in Munich in the late 70s. I remember being intrigued watching a youth draw a swastika in the dust on a bus stop whilst a bunch of us were standing there waiting for the bus. Quite a few locals berated this guy and I guess someone called the police because they pitched up fairly rapidly and arrested him and none too gently either.

To reiterate from another thread:-
Traveling down to Bavaria with my wife and young baby daughter, sharing a compartment with a young couple and an old dear, on a DB express train, i decided to take off my shoes, place a newspaper on the seat opposite and put my feet up, along came the train guard, to check our tickets, resplendent in his dark blue uniform, red shoulder to waist sash, big peaked hat with gold braid, saw me and went completely stratospheric shouting in German, with hand gestures, i let him rant on, stood up and gave him a " Heil Hitler" salute. He stopped stark still, jaw open, turned around and stomped off out of sight. up to that point the other passengers were talking with us. after, not a sound for the next 6 hours. :( 1978.

Niamac

GCM
What would they have done about that, shot them?
Yes, but not necessarily cleanly or just once. That kind of war brings people down to a frightening level of cruelty. When SS Das Reich murdered the men at Ouradour-sur-Glance they pushed the men into barns and then machine gunned the buidings with the guns set low to wound in the legs. Then they set the buildings on fire. Not a lot you can do with people like that.

A bloke I used to know said that by the time they reached the Reich border if they came under fire they were not taking many prisoners

Yes indeed. It was (eventually) deemed impractical by the Army as even at the Jeep's top speed, the soldier who fired the nuclear warhead would not escape the blast zone/area of total destruction. Well, that kind of sucks, to be honest, but I had a crazy Nam vet in the unit who said he'd pull the trigger if the Third Shock Wave Army was coming over the hill..um yeah let me get back to you about that..
There were 2 versions of the weapon, one with a range of 2km, the other 4km. According to nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ either air or surface burst were naughty out to "only" around 450-500m or so.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ok I think I know what they mean - that the blast effects could be fatal within those distances.

Luckily, studies of the effects of nuclear weapons have come a long way since the days of the Davy Crocket. Other effects such as thermal and nuclear radiations alone would be fatal to any operators in those ranges and, the synergistic effects when combined with the three components of blast created, would extend these 'safe ranges' even further.

In that era, Service personnel were advised to 'look away' or 'lay flat on the ground'. Scary, isn't it?

Traveling down to Bavaria with my wife and young baby daughter, sharing a compartment with a young couple and an old dear, on a DB express train, i decided to take off my shoes, place a newspaper on the seat opposite and put my feet up, along came the train guard, to check our tickets, resplendent in his dark blue uniform, red shoulder to waist sash, big peaked hat with gold braid, saw me and went completely stratospheric shouting in German, with hand gestures, i let him rant on, stood up and gave him a " Heil Hitler" salute. He stopped stark still, jaw open, turned around and stomped off out of sight. up to that point the other passengers were talking with us. after, not a sound for the next 6 hours. :( 1978.

quote-the-older-i-get-the-more-clearly-i-remember-things-that-never-happened-mark-twain-36-53-67.jpg

and here we have another extract from Retired Blokes book of things that never happened.

Exactly the same thing; Nazi salute, red sash and all, happened to me on a train from the Hook.

- I felt such a fool when I realised only upon arrival in Hamburg Hauptbahnhof that he must have been trying to tell me that it was the front half of the train that was bound for Celle.

syrup

LE
Yes, but not necessarily cleanly or just once. That kind of war brings people down to a frightening level of cruelty. When SS Das Reich murdered the men at Ouradour-sur-Glance they pushed the men into barns and then machine gunned the buidings with the guns set low to wound in the legs. Then they set the buildings on fire. Not a lot you can do with people like that.

A bloke I used to know said that by the time they reached the Reich border if they came under fire they were not taking many prisoners

Das Reich were getting so out of control in Normandy even the other SS Commanders were demanding an enquiry into their behaviour.

If they had not stopped to level villages and kill the inhabitants they might have actually made a difference in Normandy..

They stopped for a day to hang all the men in one village while getting pissed in the local cafe and actually sent a company back to Oursdour to try and cover up what they had done

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Travelling on the train to Copenhagen we not only got told off by a full admiral ticket inspector but also laid into us for being in Germany 2/3 years and were nor fluent it the language !!
There were 4 0f us on the trip and at one point our carriage was shared by a loverly young lady who , for some odd reason after an hour or so she changed carriages. As a token of respect, i dived down to sniff her seat as did one of the other lads, the pair of us smacking our heads together in an attempt at self concussion. I got a laugh, but not for the reason which I intended.

TamH70

MIA
At first glance this seems a fairly unexciting photo, but if you look carefully, the clues are there. There's a lot going on in this image.
View attachment 610170

Jewish bloke outside of his former Synagogue? Possible Holocaust survivor too, given his apparent age.