Photos that make you think.

Dead men walking, remains of a Kompanie of German infantry just a short way from the main gates of the Dezerzhinsky Tractor factory Northern Stalingrad, 15th October 1942.
View attachment 606864View attachment 606863View attachment 606862Always liked this one, Stalingrad October 1942, Barrikady gun factory area.German infantry pushing off on another bloody assault into the factory district.
Middle photo: the bloke 2nd right looks like he could smoke a ciggie in a oner.

A donkey stone is peculiar to the northern shires, down my way it was a few coppers. milk and bread was delivered to the door by horse and cart. Even into the mid sixties beer was delivered by horse drawn dray, and gas street lighting was eventually fazed out about 1963-4 where i lived. :p
Edinburgh had milk deliveries by horse drawn milk float in the late 70's, I remember going to school one day and watching the float disappear off down the road as something has spooked the horse. Unfortunately it was near full at the time so there was broken glass everywhere....

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Keep moving, human.

3372307195_96157826a6_z.jpg

Nothing to see here...
It’s a very old post, but just saw it and had to say that dog looks well fcuking hard and seems ready to rip that cats face clean off, or the human who has clearly disturbed his psychotic cat killing tendencies.

Edinburgh had milk deliveries by horse drawn milk float in the late 70's, I remember going to school one day and watching the float disappear off down the road as something has spooked the horse. Unfortunately it was near full at the time so there was broken glass everywhere....

They were still using horses into the 80's , the photo below was taken in "St Cuthbert's Coop Milk Deliveries - Bellevue Road - 1985".

That's Bellevue school in the background.

0_my_photographs_edinburgh_at_work_-_st_cuthbert_milk_deliveries_bellevue_road_av12.jpg

I remember them well, I used to get up at half five in the am for a six o'clock start on the milk round.

They were still using horses into the 80's , the photo below was taken in "St Cuthbert's Coop Milk Deliveries - Bellevue Road - 1985".

View attachment 606886

I remember them well, I used to get up at half five in the am for a six o'clock start on the milk round.
For multi stop,start deliveries with a bomb proof horse who knows the route it still makes a lot of sense ( with a cab of course)
And excellent branding.!

A photo which appears frequently but about which I can't find any definitive information.

The farthest sub is clearly an RN boat but the nearest appears to be a USN Sturgeon class, given the masts and the planes on the sail.

An_RAF_Nimrod_MR2_on_patrol_in_the_skies_over_the_ice,_it_is_shown_with_two_submarines_just_br...jpg

Saw this out and about today. Not seen one before, but presumably purpose built for a Biker funeral?
5FAAEA8D-DE9F-4FCF-8461-AF148D2D44C9.jpeg

View attachment 606886

I'd joined the mob by that point, the last I saw was around Marchmont a few years later. We also had a similar milkfloat at our house, which provided some manure for our roses.

I seem to remember a docmentary about a Coop milk horse that went on to be a drum horse in the Life Guards, Cicero I think it was.

ches

LE
Hey Brothers was the local pop in my neck of the woods.

Similar round my childhood neck of the woods. We also sussed out that the village shop used to store all his glass corona empties in his brick yard in the plastic crates. As kids we'd help one of us climb over, heft a cpl of crates full of empties over the wall, snaffle the bottles, take em in the front door of the shop over about 30 mins on a quiet evening & get the deposits back - about 5p IIRC. Most times each of us would end up with enough cash to buy a bag of 1/72 scale airfix plastic soldiers from the same shop. Rinse & repeat every 2 or 3 months.

Latest Threads