Photos that make you think.

Oyibo

LE
Much like the Urban Shoot, set up in of the old Martello towers at Hythe.

I hated running that range: all the usual suspects giggling like 12-year olds having put side bets on who could get most hits Mrs Nolan and wee baby Aoife.

Whenever I went there everyone let rip at the vicar when he appeared. Same with the coat hanger range.

Driving through Belgium quite recently saw a number of motorway hoardings that made me think.
Proof, if ever any were needed, that what the French think of the Belgians is correct.

IMG_6066.jpg

Change your transport like your socks?

As a commander on an 432 I got the ’pleasure’ of being driven down the range at Castlemartin trying to hit targets in the middle distance with the mounted GPMG.

If ever faced with an enemy doing something similar then I would confidently stand up, take my time aiming my RPG/whatever and give them the good news. Because none of the rounds being aimed at me would be going near me - because mine were either ending up in the ground or on a ballistic trajectory towards Cornwall.
I've witnessed worse. On a pretty cold day on an unnamed tank range, I saw a convoy of deuce and a halfs practicing ambush drills. The monkey firing the M2 Browning on the ring mount would have made a spotted dog laugh. Everyone knows by now that the only deuce that makes a halfway decent offensive truck is one with a spare 113 body in the back.

King-Kong Truck.jpg

colinmc400

Old-Salt
I've witnessed worse. On a pretty cold day on an unnamed tank range, I saw a convoy of deuce and a halfs practicing ambush drills. The monkey firing the M2 Browning on the ring mount would have made a spotted dog laugh. Everyone knows by now that the only deuce that makes a halfway decent offensive truck is one with a spare 113 body in the back.

View attachment 606184
I watched a few documentaries on guys who built these in Vietnam and it looked a whole lot of fun(the building, not being on the receiving end of the incoming). Beg, steal and borrow the biggest shooting sticks and armour, lash them up and let rip. I did wonder how well the quad .50 mounted ones would have gone on a softly sprung truck, but i suppose as long as you are upwind of the good news, who cares! I think given my ham fistedness with a Gimpy, its unlikely my CSM would have let me have a crack at this, which looks like a whole different level of shits and giggles.

I watched a few documentaries on guys who built these in Vietnam and it looked a whole lot of fun(the building, not being on the receiving end of the incoming). Beg, steal and borrow the biggest shooting sticks and armour, lash them up and let rip. I did wonder how well the quad .50 mounted ones would have gone on a softly sprung truck, but i suppose as long as you are upwind of the good news, who cares! I think given my ham fistedness with a Gimpy, its unlikely my CSM would have let me have a crack at this, which looks like a whole different level of shits and giggles.

That's Korea, I think.

Oyibo

LE

And the background to the execution - puts things in perspective:

Not scary at all. (London street musician).

Maketa-2-copy.jpg

Oyibo

LE
Nice touch to let him wear the ribbon of his 'WINTERSCHLACHT IM OSTEN 1941/1942' medal:

150px-Ostmedaille_1957_version.jpg

then again, his uniform was in a bit of a muddle a few minutes later:

220px-Anton_Dostler_1945_b.jpg
Otherwise appropriately known as the Gefrierfleischorden - 'Order of the frozen flesh'

syrup

LE
I'm surprised they allowed him to wear his uniform.

He was captured as a legitimate POW and it was discovered he had authorised the execution of an American raiding party dressed in their own uniforms.
Although the execution order was signed off by Kesselring and was a Fuehrer order (similar to the execution of commandos) he was convicted of the crime by a local military tribunal in Sothern Italy.

Presumably being a POW he hadn't been remanded in custody and therefore only had his uniform to wear

Latest Threads