Photos that make you think.

I found the video below a bit sombre. By Christ, the ages of some of them - quite a few 17 year olds in there. Don't worry, it's not all Parachute Regiment, although there's a fair few:

If you open the link in YouTube instead of on the ARRSE page, there are many tributes to the British soldiers in the comments below, many from Argentinian soldiers.

Not strictly true, the French prisoners had to undergo re-education in the camps under the communists, a lot enduring harsh treatment and subsequently dying. It isn`t a simple case of them not being able to survive on a handful of rice.
There were also several thousand Japanese stay behinds from WW2, several helping to run the Viet Minh training academy, and others leading VM troops into battle. Some were from the hated Kempetai, so there is a fair chance of them meting out summary justice.
Most of this is covered in Martin Windrows "The Last Valley".
Then there were French communists such as this piece of shit.... Georges Boudarel

Most of the former Japanese soldiers had been killed by 1954. The advisors were then chinese and russians.

Looks like the the cab tilt locks realised that amount of stress was too much as well.

Your mates very lucky
There have been incidents where the tilt locks didn't give, as I'm sure you're aware, and the drivers have been crushed.
His seat belt saved him.
He would have been bounced around that jagged steel and broken glass of a cab like a rag doll, his body would have been smashed and cut to pieces.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit slack when it comes to wearing mine, but from now on I won't even be shunting round the yard without buckling up.

Last edited:
Hope he listened to his mum and wore clean ones, just in case he had an accident
I'm pretty sure he had one around the same time as he had the crash.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
This makes me think.

40 years ago last week. The birth of my daughter.

me and emily.jpg

Last edited:
This makes me think.

40 years ago last week. The birth of my daughter.

View attachment 564745
Got two daughters of my own. So there you are, no AESP, no idea of the potential of the darling bundle. Doubtless over the years she will have angered and frustrated you and delighted you and made you proud in equal measure. The contradiction of loving them when (at the time) not liking them was my biggest problem, but in the end both have done well and are their own persons.

Why?

What was the tractor before it was flat packed?
It was a Volvo 450, fitted with the emergency braking radar.
Another vehicle cut across Eddie and the vehicle emergency braked on his behalf.

I think I'll decline to use one with emergency braking! I take it he had properly secured the load?
Its quite a shocking image.
It's bloody scary when it happens. I've now put a piece of masking tape across the sensor on mine.
CCTV footage from the loading bay shows that three straps were across each pack, no issues there.

It's bloody scary when it happens. I've now put a piece of masking tape across the sensor on mine.
CCTV footage from the loading bay shows that three straps were across each pack, no issues there.

I've driven DAF's with adaptive cruise (and can't make myself trust it) but evidently automatic emergency braking comes with "issues"

Waldeck

Old-Salt
It looks like it in this case. Technology for the sake of it?
And they are talking about electric vehicles that get loaded at the supplier, that then drives it self to a market to be unloaded. This while dodging all the crazy stuff going on.

Niamac

GCM
I keep hoping I never see that picture again, but it just keeps coming up. It's hideous.
On a bright cold February morning thirty years ago I had just parked the car and was moving between the buildings when there was a hell of a bang just behind and to the right of me. In the instant I thought a bit of the building had come off and I dived forward but it was a man who had fallen 11 floors and landed within a few feet of me. He was very badly injured but there was a pulse. Despite a lot of shouting by me those around had frozen and I had to call 999 myself.

By the time I got back to him the pulse was gone and he was obviously dead.

He was very badly smashed up to the extent that I did not recognise him although I had worked quite closely with him in the past.

So I can imagine the effect of the "falling man" and am eternally grateful that I was not a few feet back or I would surely have been killed.

After the immediate action was over I staggered off to my office and was sitting there a bit dazed when my neighbouring and much older engineer, John Walker, came in, took a look at me, disappeared and then re-appeared with a bottle of whisky and two tumblers. He closed the door and we sat and drank and talked the whole episode over and over until I had settled.

Much the best and most immediate "counselling" I ever had.

Latest Threads