Photos that make you think.

The field ovens M59 have been kicking around since WW II but they are capable of some pretty good results in the hands of mess sergeants who know how to operate them safely. The heart of the oven is the gasoline burner unit M2 NSN 7310-00-842-9247 and there have been some improvements over the years. There is even a version with a safety device but it's still caught out many an unwary KP attempting to light the bastard with a bang and a WOOOSH as it tries to burn the world down around his ears, (much to my amusement). The immersion heaters are good for a laugh too what with their drip feed carburetors. 8):lol::lol::lol:

Look at that fooker with the tab in his lip about to ladle some disgusting thing out of that pot. Mystery meat stew no doubt.
View attachment 563543

Has nobody considered that cooking a meal whilst smoking was detrimental to the health and safety of those at Khe San?

HE117

LE
Did you ever find out what happened to those two missing sniffer dogs?
I think the handlers worked out that it was better to strap them to their parachute harness than just use the lead...?

Union Army soldier, inmate of the Confederate prison camp at Andersonville, Georgia.

1618070693528.png

This was one of my colleagues yesterday on the M6 in Lancashire.
Thankfully, and miraculously, he walked away from this.
Eddie, you are one lucky man!
Bhl.jpg

I did, of course, tell the boss that a bit of T-Cut, some Don 10 and a few gallons of OMD 80 and he'd be back on the road within the hour.

Sticky847

Clanker
View attachment 564189

I did, of course, tell the boss that a bit of T-Cut, some Don 10 and a few gallons of OMD 80 and he'd be back on the road within the hour.
Is that a truck cab,I really can’t tell

View attachment 564189

Is that a load of steel sheet? Says a lot about modern cab design, imagine that with the old timber framed ally or GRP.

Last edited:
Is that a load of steel sheet? Says a lot about modern cab design, imagine that with the old timber framed ally or GRP.
Yes, oiled and pickled in 4 ton packs.
The brakes locked on while he was doing 50 plus mph.

Oyibo

LE
I found the video below a bit sombre. By Christ, the ages of some of them - quite a few 17 year olds in there. Don't worry, it's not all Parachute Regiment, although there's a fair few:

I found the video below a bit sombre. By Christ, the ages of some of them - quite a few 17 year olds in there. Don't worry, it's not all Parachute Regiment, although there's a fair few:

Yank, using Pvt instead of Pte?

Not strictly true, the French prisoners had to undergo re-education in the camps under the communists, a lot enduring harsh treatment and subsequently dying. It isn`t a simple case of them not being able to survive on a handful of rice.
There were also several thousand Japanese stay behinds from WW2, several helping to run the Viet Minh training academy, and others leading VM troops into battle. Some were from the hated Kempetai, so there is a fair chance of them meting out summary justice.
Most of this is covered in Martin Windrows "The Last Valley".
Then there were French communists such as this piece of shit.... Georges Boudarel
Boudarel, aka “couillon” in the vernacular; the normal english translation of the word does not any where near equate to the passion with which it is delivered. He was not the only one who chose that particular path.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
The first photo, "The Falling Man" is so tragic. All ways reminds me of the song by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris; "If This is Goodbye" on their All the Road running CD/DVD.
I keep hoping I never see that picture again, but it just keeps coming up. It's hideous.

This is and will always be, the single best thread on Arrse. Some of the contributions and back stories surrounding them are simply incredible.

Last edited:

Waldeck

Old-Salt
I keep hoping I never see that picture again, but it just keeps coming up. It's hideous.

I was getting ready to go to work, 2nd shift and a friend called and said have you seen the news. I said what channel and of course he said it doesn't matter. I live about 75 miles from Liberty State Park which is directly across from there, but it might as well have been a 1000 as every thing was jammed up. The whole area is very well sorted now, very tasteful, must have cost a fortune.

Latest Threads