Photos that make you think.

Morning All,
Took this photograph of headline in yesterday's 'local comic', so may not be accurate.
Apart from making me think, "fvck me!". I wondered if(and when) Covid deaths in UK, will surpass British military fatalities in WW2.
20210122_140305~2.jpg

Long way to match military deaths - approx 380,000 but it's outstripped civilian deaths at about 67,000. As of today, Covid deaths are 97,329.

7 day average about 1200 a day, so another 235 days to match military deaths - Thursday 16th September this year

Morning All,
Took this photograph of headline in yesterday's 'local comic', so may not be accurate.
Apart from making me think, "fvck me!". I wondered if(and when) Covid deaths in UK, will surpass British military fatalities in WW2.View attachment 542379
As the dough-boys didn't enter WW1 until April 1917, and it took them the best part of 9 months to form up, and deoploy etc, they didn't start fighting in earnest until 10 months before wars end. So the death figures attributed to them in WW1 will be far smaller than any other combatants, on both sides.

As of date, 97,329 dead in Britian of covid 19.

116,000 Americans died in WW1
700,000 British
2,037,000 German
1,327,000 french.
2,325,000 Turkish.
2,254,000 russian.

Last edited:
Long way to match military deaths - approx 380,000 but it's outstripped civilian deaths at about 67,000. As of today, Covid deaths are 97,329.

7 day average about 1200 a day, so another 235 days to match military deaths - Thursday 16th September this year

Is the figure of 97,329 those who died of Covid?

Or is it 97,329, including those who have died of many different causes, having tested positive for the virus in the prior month?

It can't be beyond the wit of man to separate the 'of Covid' from the 'with Covid' death stats.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
As the dough-boys didn't enter WW1 until April 1917, and it took them the best part of 9 months to form up, and deoploy etc, they didn't start fighting in earnest until 10 months before wars end. So the death figures attributed to them in WW1 will be far smaller than any other combatants, on both sides.

As of date, 97,329 dead in Britian of covid 19.

116,000 Americans died in WW1
700,000 British
2,037,000 German
1,327,000 french.
2,325,000 Turkish.
2,254,000 russian.
You've got the wrong war there mate, @bedended 's post is about WW2.

Nonetheless, from memory, the US forces on the Western Front started fighting alongside the French in spring 1918 and then fought on their own account from about July 1918 in the Argonne Meause (sp) theatre.

It needs someone like @Goldbricker to be more precise about dates and suchlike.

Cheers...

Morning All,
Apart from making me think, "fvck me!". I wondered if(and when) Covid deaths in UK, will surpass British military fatalities in WW2.View attachment 542379
Quick check of the numbers suggests that it’s true.
On a semi-related note there’s a little statistic that I like to bring up now and again, which is that the French suffered more military casualties in WW1 than the USA have sustained in all wars ever.

The intent is not to denigrate the US effort but more to counter the “cheese-eating surrender monkeys” thing that pops up every so often.

Nonetheless, from memory, the US forces on the Western Front started fighting alongside the French in spring 1918 and then fought on their own account from about July 1918 in the Argonne Meause (sp) theatre.

Cheers...
you are correct, i read the thread incorrectly, my eyesight has all gone to rats shit, one of the symptoms of getting older.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Quick check of the numbers suggests that it’s true.
On a semi-related note there’s a little statistic that I like to bring up now and again, which is that the French suffered more military casualties in WW1 than the USA have sustained in all wars ever.

The intent is not to denigrate the US effort but more to counter the “cheese-eating surrender monkeys” thing that pops up every so often.
at the end of the Great War one third of Frances young men, were either dead or crippled
when you see the Necropolis it hammers it home

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Where do those who fall over from heart attack, stroke, drowning, electrocution, RTA etc etc, having tested positive in the past 28 days appear on the stats?
a chap i used to work with Karked it at a fairly young age
late 40s
Covid I was told by family members
I often wondered how long he would last, given his predilicition for horse tranquilizers, uppers and downers ,etc ,when he was on the rave scene and Yardy roll ups
also he liked a drink
well in the way that a rugby club likes a drink
he looked like shit the last time I saw him and with memory problems

Last edited:
Where do those who fall over from heart attack, stroke, drowning, electrocution, RTA etc etc, having tested positive in the past 28 days appear on the stats?
Maybe someone who had been infected by the virus, and who was all muzzy, unwell and confused, decided to lick a fuse box . . . was the cause of death electrocution or covid?

Or just being @Ciggie

Cheers...
First US ground casualties were Sgt. M. Calderwood and Pvt. W. Brannigan of Fox Company, 11th Railroad Engineers wounded with the British III Army @ Gouzeaucourt. 5 September 1917

First US ground combat deaths were Pvt's Thomas Enright, Merle Haye, & Cpl James Gresham on November 3rd, 1917 near Artois during a German trench raid on Fox Company 16th infantry regiment, 1st US infantry division.

@ 0300 a box barrage hit and isolated F co and a Stosstruppen unit assaulted a single US platoon. when the order to withdraw was given they had 11 POW's (1 Sgt, 10 Pvts) and several of their own wounded

syrup

LE
Morning All,

675,000 died from Spanish Flu in 1918 in America so that also tops it.

125,000 British soldiers died on the Somme during the official battle.

Still a way to go yet

don`t count, they all died from covid, stop trying to spoil a good bit of scaremongering!
The data from the UK's national statisticians show there have been nearly 104,000 deaths since the pandemic began.
The figures, which go up to 15 January, are based on death certificates.

Bad statisticians, naughty statisticians, how dare they count things

at the end of the Great War one third of Frances young men, were either dead or crippled
when you see the Necropolis it hammers it home
Aye, the futility of war ... robs a nation of its young men! I saw that in ‘92 when attached to UNTAC; apart from the memorials to those lost in the Killing Fields, it seemed that just about every male, and many females, had sufferered amputations caused by landmines. Truly tragic, indeed.

Oyibo

LE
This photo got me wondering (he's so bloody young): Did he survive the war? What battles was he in? Was he an extreme nazi or just a professional soldier? and so on.

1611736419359.png

Latest Threads